First time gun owner, recently Pardoned

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerMax9 Fan

Bearcat
So after 22 years, I applied for and received a Pardon for a poor choice made at age 18. I just made my very first gun purchase, and it turned out to Max 9 and I really like it. I'm completely new to guns in general, but looking to learn as much as possible for self defense.

Anyways, I had a question about the Holosun 507K but I'll search the forum to see if it's been asked already. If you see me asking some basic questions on here, please understand I'm just learning things. Thanks for having me!

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Welcome !

If you don't already have a knowledgeable mentor on hand , a basic Marksmanship class is a wise and worthwhile next step .

I'm completely new to guns in general, but looking to learn as much as possible for self defense.
First off:
Welcome!

I would suggest you are focusing on the wrong thing first and this could easily lead to bad outcomes such as injury or new legal issues.
My suggestion would be NRA safety training first and then marksmanship training. Then self defense training would logically follow and be more productive and less risky then.

NRA training such as Basic Pistol and Personal Protection in the Home are logical first steps. They both include training on when and how to do the self defense thing legally.
Marksmanship training can be informal, free, and quite effective if you find a good coach.
When you reach the stage where you are drawing a pistol from a holster and reholstering that pistol, start out unloaded and slowly work through each step to ensure you are not violating any safety rules. Many accidental discharges occur when drawing or reholstering. Learn to do it safely. Then you will be ready to learn self defense techniques more easily and relatively quickly.
Changing the order should not cause undue delays. NRA courses are taught frequently and can be relatively inexpensive. Concealed carry training can be at either extreme and may be great or may be a near worthless "check the right boxes to apply for a permit drill."
Practice is exceptionally important! I personally recommend practice with both hands together and right handed and left handed.

Last edited:
Welcome, and congratulations on getting your record cleared, it's not easy to do. I have a Max-9 and put a Shield sights RMS2 reflex on it which I really like, as it co-witnesses with the iron sights. Don't know about the Holosun 507K, but it's compatible, per the Ruger website.. Good luck and get some training per above advice!

Last edited: