first shots with the new Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LSCG

Buckeye
thanks to one of the members here i was able to get one of the new 5 shot Bisley super Blackhawks in 454/45Colt last week. i had already picked up a little Brass and some 250 grain XTP's but unfortunately i lost my shell holder for the Lee auto prime so the only ammo i had on hand was 24 rounds of 45 colt my dad had for his Winchester 94.

my first group was fired at 25 yards. the first round was about 6 inches high and actually destroyed the roofing screw i used to attach the plate to the cardboard. the plate was flipped around, an adjustment was made to the sight and the final four shots were fired. not counting the first round this group measured 3" center to center.

another adjustment was made to the rear sight and another four round group was shot at 25 yards. this one measured 2 1/2" center to center.

i then fired a five shot group at 50 yards which measured 4 1/2" three of those shots went into 2 1/4"

i then shot two groups at 100 yards. the first group circled in red measured 4 3/4" but only 3 out of 5 shots hit paper. an adjustment was made to the sight and the second group circled in orange was fired. this group measured 7 7/8" with only 4 out of 5 shots hitting paper.

nothing outstanding on my part but since i haven't really shot much since April i wasn't expecting to win any medals lol. i couldn't be happier with the revolver itself. the fit and finish are great and even though i did tear it down and polish the internal parts it's action was really good straight from the factory. it will get a new set of grips once i find some Rams Horn or something else i like and i believe i'll make a few cross bar front sights for it but other than it's perfect.

i plan on testing out some different loads for in once my shell holder comes in and hopefully with some more practice this fall i'll be able to shrink all those groups down.

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice! I'm patiently awaiting my 480 to play with.I have a FA in 454,,, so I've resisted the temptations of getting one of the 454's.