First Post, And First Ruger Pistol!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rasputin

Bearcat
I've been lurking for a little, and recently scored a nice single six made in 1958. After doing a bit of checking, I'm reasonably sure the grips are the plywood type, but would love to hear the opinions of the experts.
All in all I'm very happy with the pistol so far, all I need to do is head out for some much needed range time this weekend.

Did I do ok on this one?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I see a nice Ruger with a set of custom grips that aren't plywood. Oak maybe, but not plywood! AN interesting screw set.
Nice!

Rasputin

Bearcat
Thanks! FWIW, they look like they have been with the pistol for a few years at least.

Welcome to the Forum...and yes, a "vintage" pair of aftermarket grips from that era....a look on the inside of the grip panels may tell you more, maker ??, or if converted from Colt use, etc.....
have seen the exact same grips from time to time back in the old days...NICE gun by the way. I do want to point out the cylinder is a later, non firing pin groove, like the "old models" usually come with, and obviously the gun has been "safety update" ( new lockwork with the transfer bar)
Did you check to see if in fact, the cylinder ,"may" be a early non marked 22 magnum?? those too did not have or use a firing pin groove around the rear of the cylinder, across the mouths of the chambers. We've seen folks from time to time put one of the mag cylinders, in early guns, "because they could"....the 22 magnum caliber was not developed until 1959, and there was a change to the bore diameter from .222 to .224" and if your gun is a 1958 should have the smaller bore barrel. Never hurts to check things out properly...over the years folks have done LOTS and LOTS to old revolvers.

as for the wood, most likely it is walnut..........BUT they made grips out of any and all types of lumber.
Again, NICE gun, enjoy it..........

G2

Hunter
Nice looking example, and I concur that the grips are made out of some NICE wood and I really like the flair, this sort of style was from the 60's, I like them, A LOT!!
I would like to see a picture of the grips "backside" inside or the side we can't see, call it what you want.

The gun has been "safety" converted, these action parts can be cleaned/slicked up to smooth the action out. Or for ~ $75 you could find a original set, and un-convert it.

G2

Hunter
Apparently rugerguy and I think alike.... :roll: :wink:

Yessir, we do like to "try" and help, and hope it does NOT come across as "picky", but ONLY an "observation",....as well as the firing pin , "cross pin" , its been "moved", no longer smooth and polished over..................
"Ye ask, and ye shall receive....."

Did I say "nice gun" ?? I like it.............. :wink:

Rasputin

Bearcat
Thanks guys, I'll have a look at the cylinder later, and will try and post some pics of the inside of the grips.

Rasputin

Bearcat
Well, it looks like I got burned on this one. There are no markings on the cylinder at all, and since it does not have the groove, its looking like a magnum.

I'm sure glad I checked here first before I went out and shot it though. Any suggestions on what to do now?

Rasputin

Bearcat
Pics of the cylinder:

Looks like I'll be selling this one since it can't be used in my pistol. I took a gamble and ordered one from Ebay, I just hope it times correctly. Thanks again to rugerguy for the advice because I have no doubt I would have missed this detail.

street

Hunter
I can't tell by the picture what your serial number is, but if it is over 150,000 then it should be able to shoot the .22 Mag. If not then you need to find a .22 LR cylinder to use. As for the grips, I think rugerguy is correct, they look like walnut. It still a nice gun as you could sell the mag. cylinder and buy a .22 LR and break even of close + or -. If you are happy with the price before you found out that it has the wrong cylinder then you should be happy with it now after you sell the mag. cylinder and get you a .22 LR cylinder.

Rasputin

Bearcat
Serial number is 122XXX, so I just ordered a correct .22LR cylinder. The one that came with the pistol is a really nice one, so I should be able to sell it.

I'd rather sell it to a forum member, so is it ok to post a WTS sell in the marketplace?

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, somebody swapped out a 22LR for a 22 mag cylinder. Not a huge issue except your gun was made before the 22 mag was introduced. As such, don't shoot mags in it, just 22 LR. Swap out cylinders & sell the mag one.
As for timing,,, most likely no issues. Just make sure it has the correct OAL.

And yes, we have a classifieds and you can sell the mag cylinder there.

Latest posts