First look at my NEW NM Blackhawk 45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

philthephlier

Bearcat
I ordered a blued 5-1/2" NM Blackhawk in 45 Colt and it arrived at my dealer's shop last Friday. I can't pick it up until the 29th but I stopped in this morning to check it out before next Tues. I was very pleasantly surprised by the overall smoothness of the action and especially the trigger. Very slick, no creep and broke like glass at about 3-1/2 lbs. The dealer said that the newer Ruger single action revolvers seem to be coming that way from the factory fairly often. I am thinking that the only thing this revolver needs to be a really nice shooter is a few boxes of ammo through it. Anybody else have a similar experience with a recently purchased new Blackhawk?

Well mine is not new (4 years old) but out of the 7 Ruger SA's I have, I shoot the 5 1/2" .45 colt the best. I'm not saying it is the most accurate of the family - just saying that I shoot it the best.

I know you will have some great times when you get it to the range. Give us a range report.

Good shooting, Rick

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have two new Rugers - a 5½" .44 Lipsey Special and a 50th Anniversary .44 magnum. These are both FINE revolvers but they do NOT have great triggers. They are shootable but no better than that. I have owned a number of Rugers and have shot others. I don't believe I have ever seen a Ruger with a good trigger. That includes both their single and double action revolvers.

However, they ARE tunable and after they get a good trigger then they are HARD to beat.

Dale53

Rclark

Hunter
Wahoo! Sounds like you have a winner. You'll like it. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.... BTW, where is this state that has a stupid 'waiting period' ??? No, let me guess... CA? :)

My BH was just out on Monday night getting a workout. It's funny how as you become a better shooter you find that you don't quite have the gun dialed in yet. That's where I found myself Monday... Tweaking my rear sight... Was shooting a bit high.

Pictures : http://www.rugerforum.net/showpost.php? ... ostcount=6

Oh yeah, all my Rugers needed a bit of trigger work to help 'em along. Still not perfect but acceptable... to me... Use also tends to make them better too.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, lot's of good info, especially on Blackhawks and .45's.

I had some good luck with a recent .45 I ordered about a year or two ago. While the trigger wasn't perfect, it was better than most and it was definitely a great shooter out of the box! After some work, I've got the trigger pretty nice now, but not quite as nice as my OM Super Blackhawk, but it is close. Fit and finish was great compared with other Rugers I had from the late 60's and 70's and overall a real treat!

Have fun and shoot it a bunch. IF you're not getting the accuracy you want, there are a bunch of tips and tweaks on the forum.