First knife project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodpuppy

Single-Sixer
4 years ago, my friend was married and asked me to be a groomsman. Naturally I accepted. His gift to me was a 1" x 1" x 12" block of cocobola and a damascus steel knife blank. Well, I've finally got around to it! After slabbing out the block, I cut the scales out with a band saw and inlet one scale with the router attachment on my dremel tool. One scale was 1/4" thick, the one I inlet was 3/8" (1/4" + thickness of tang). I pinned the two scales together and shaped them to pattern with a rasp, then took them apart, followed by lots of wiping to remove oil from the wood so the epoxy would hold. Next I mixed up my epoxy, slathered it all over the inletting and glue surfaces, dropped the blank in, and drove the brass pins through and clamped it up for a couple days. Now it's time to take it to the belt / drum sander for final shaping, and lastly sandpaper & final finishing. Whew, I have a lot more respect for woodworkers.

Enjoy the pics!

PartsReadyForAssembly.jpg

AllClampedUp.jpg

PinnedAndGlued1.jpg

PinnedAndGlued2.jpg

deac45

Single-Sixer
Nice looking blade and wood!

Be sure to tape up the blade before going near and sanding equipment.

deac45

woodpuppy

Single-Sixer
Cary,

after fine grit sandpaper, I'm really not sure. A local bow maker uses automotive clear-coat. An oil finish seems redundant. a furniture wax finish would be too high maintenance.

what would you suggest?