First Groundhog!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
This has been a Great Summer. My 11 year old daughter got bit by the shootin' bug :lol: . I took her to the range at Isaac Walton, and let her shoot a Ruger single-six, Ruger 10-22, TC contender in 22 Hornet, and lastly, a .204 Ruger in the contender. We went over the basics of safe gun handling. After numerous dry firings, I showed her how to safely load and unload each gun . She was a natural :D.

august2009001-1.jpg

She got a air soft pistol for her birthday and practiced diligently. The results really paid off.

After going on a few 'hog hunts and watching dad blast a few, she told me she was ready and wanted to try for one herself :shock:.

I wasn't sure how she would handle taking her first animal. Would she get 'hog fever :roll: . Would she start balling her eyes out, being the animal lover that she is.

Well, tonite I found out :D . We set up on a chuck that has eluded me the last few outings. While waiting for him, another one popped up 58 yards from our vantage point. I whispered to my daughter to look to her right. She calmly reached for the TC contender in .204 Ruger and took aim. She then whispered for me to cover her ears :oops: (Dad forgot the ear muffs)

The shot was true! My daughter had her first Groundhog ! She was pumped :lol: . So was dad ! All fears and worries went out the window.

The best part is, Dad has a new hunting partner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

july2009006.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
It is often said that proper child raising results in having good adults. Time spent with our children is priceless. Teaching them about life in honest ways makes them appreciate it all the more. You are doing the best things you can by teaching her about life, death, respect for wildlife & even loving it all at the same time.
Tell her that the folks on the Ruger Forum are proud of her.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Thanks for all of the positive replies, everyone. :D

You can bet I am as proud as a peacock of my daughter. I've been having a blast re-introducing myself to the .22 rimfire. With the cost of primers alone(and availability) the .22 rimfire make sense. :roll:

Our hunting took place on a 200 acre farm planted in soy bean. We've managed 9 of the varmints so far this summer. Did you know the average groundhog consumes about 200 lbs. of grub a year. That's alot of soy beans and alfalfa. No wonder the farmers have such a strong dislike for the buck-toothed rodent. :twisted:

All have been taken with the .204 Ruger TC contender rig. Longest shot a lasered 273 yards. Using hand stuffed hornady V-max 40gr. bullets. Haven't had one exit yet. All internal blowups ! :shock:

Lastly, this is one expensive groundhog. I've always wanted a stuffed whistle pig, but was waiting for a unique one with possibly overgrown teeth. You can figure out where this is going. First kill will be setting on the bar in about 9 months, in his new found den. Wouldn't have it any other way ! :lol:

Looks like I'll be going to hunter safety class this fall also. (at least I'll have someone to copy off of). :oops:

Thanks again, My Daughter loves all the responses, as well as I do.

americal

Hunter
I bet she remembers this event fondly rest of her life :) :) I sure think a lot of mine with my father & grandfather hunting in deep south--- late 1950"s -1966 I tear up sometimes :)