First ever handgun - 22/45 slab-side

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dennis

Single-Sixer
I didn't think I would care for the grip but I just sensed it was right so I picked up the 22/45 slab-sided handgun today. I shot a couple of hundred rounds through it and love it! I am no marksman but I could hit stuff out to 25 yards. No, not every time but the fact that I could hit them at all the first time out I thought was pretty good.

Because I've previously been shooting with a .22 rifle I had various brands of ammo on hand and tried them out. As per other's experiences it liked some ammo and some not. With the Remington Goldens and Winchester 333s I would get occasional problems with the bullet tip not clearing the magazine. However, the bulk Federal ammo worked just fine. I haven't tried any CCI mini-mags because the last box I had of them a while back I threw out half way through because they wouldn't load in my rifle reliably and I want one ammo for both handgun and rifle.

I'm not saying that Remington or Winchester is bad they just didn't work well in my particular gun. I'm guessing if I bought another 22/45 of exactly the same model I might get completely different results for ammo preference.

The one problem that I did run into was not ammo related but I feel is related to the magazines. The gun (new from Wholesale Sports) came with two magazines. After one magazine was shot out the bolt would automatically rack out (correct term?) when empty, but the other magazine wouldn't automatically rack out regardless of brand of ammo. I always had to manually pull the bolt and lock it into place. Is this normal? I also noticed the leader screw was on opposite sides of the magazine - one was a lefty and one a righty.

All in all, it was a great day to go out shooting my first ever handgun! I knew it had to be a Ruger too! I have a lot to learn but it is a keeper! :)

Thanks,
Dennis

greener

Single-Sixer
Looks like you've found a keeper. Rugers are very accurate and with a little care will last a very long time.

Good luck on finding one ammo for you pistol and rifle. About the closest I've come is Federal Value pack (36gr hp hv), but I've found that some firearms do better with different ammo, so I just keep a stock of various types.

The follower button on your slide activates the bolt stop for the last round hold open feature. If one magazine is working and one isn't then something is preventing the follower button from moving the last 1/16" or so. Take a look at the mags. I had an intermittent problem like that on my MKIII Hunter. Clean the mags and see if they need a break-in period. Had an intermittent problem like that with a MKIII Hunter mag. It went away after a few hundred rounds.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
btrumanj":3dl8i7fu said:
Dennis, you picked a right good one to start with. Now you'll find out the danged things are addictive :)
First it was photography, then motorcycles, and now it's Rugers! When will the madness ever end? :)

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
I know the feeling - I've had my first handgun for about a month (Ruger Mark IIII 678 Target), about 450 rounds through it so far, and having a great time (as are my wife and son)!

(Just be patient as you get the hang of the reassembly...)

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Dennis":3ibaxsof said:
btrumanj":3ibaxsof said:
Dennis, you picked a right good one to start with. Now you'll find out the danged things are addictive :)
First it was photography, then motorcycles, and now it's Rugers! When will the madness ever end? :)
Never ever :shock:

fez

Bearcat
It is the screw I believe that locks the slide back.If it is on the wrong side the slide stop has nothing to push it up.Are they both factory mags?

greener

Single-Sixer
I deny any potential for additiction. I can put them down any time I want
DSC00857.JPG

Dennis

Single-Sixer
fez":d3hik3is said:
It is the screw I believe that locks the slide back.If it is on the wrong side the slide stop has nothing to push it up.Are they both factory mags?
Fez,

Yes, these are factory magazines that came in the box with the gun from the retailer - all new. Maybe I can take apart the magazine so they are the same - i.e. like the one that does rack out properly?

Thanks,
Dennis

fez

Bearcat
That's what i would do.Take your time and you will be an amatuer gunsmith in no time.Most people use the term "lock the slide back or hold open.Also make sure the top of the spring has the higher end pointing front.Good luck.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
I took the gun back to the store I bought it from to show them the different magazines and asked them what the deal was. They immediately recognized, as mentioned earlier on this thread, that it was a manufacturer's mistake. They were able to take apart the magazine (good for me to see how) and put it together like the other. I haven't tried it out on the range yet but I'm pretty sure it should be OK now. Before, with the "bad" magazine I had to push to hold button to keep the rack locked open, but now I pull it and it holds just like it is supposed to.

Thanks for great input!

Flash

Buckeye
[/quote]
First it was photography, then motorcycles, and now it's Rugers! When will the madness ever end? :)[/quote]

Bet you can't wait until you get to "Women"!

Dennis

Single-Sixer
First it was photography, then motorcycles, and now it's Rugers! When will the madness ever end? :)[/quote]

Bet you can't wait until you get to "Women"![/quote]
Oh, crap! Here we go again! :)

Dennis

Single-Sixer
I did get out to the range today and the magazine that we flipped the slider to the other side is now just fine. Probably someone on the cell phone at the Ruger factory while assembling magazines. :roll:

Dennis

greener

Single-Sixer

Bet you can't wait until you get to "Women"![/quote]

A wife, three daughters and one grand daughter (so far). After 40 years, they might be considered habit-forming. :lol:

GhosT

Blackhawk
Decades ago ...the Firsts handgun choice was always a REVOLVER(easier to learn) in a .22 rimfire...(easiest round to learn how to shoot a handgun).

Love dennis's first choice.

My first handgun(1981) was a RUGER BLACKHAWK .357 magnum.
And think of the ammo available back then....lol

Although have fond memories of that gun,FAR from the best choice of a gun to learn the basics with....TOOK ME FOREVER.

Now look at the RUGER 22/45............
Although originally set up as a practice gun for 1911 style guns.....
JMHO, one of the best guns RUGER ever put out!

Love it for a newbie to shooting.
Accurate,reliable as hell,not heavy, and well balanced.

Not a gun would start a kid with,just because semi autos take more effort to learn,
But for an adult starting out......can't think of a better choice!