First Encounter With a Lipsey Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I wanted a smallish revolver with adjustable sights and chambered in 45ACP. Last week I bought a Lipsey Ruger New Model Flat Top … 4.75" convertible.

My first thought was to buy it, wring it out at the range for a few months and decide whether 1) it was just a "rental" gun and sell it quickly or 2) keep it, in which case I'd have to personalize it to suit me. Fer sure, the barrel paragraph would have to go…meaning a reblue….might as well modify the sights and color case harden, etc. while I'm at it. After 2 trips to the range I've decided it's a keeper.

My first impressions were, "very nice fit and finish." I like the polish and the color. I was surprised that the nearly hidden warning, and very lightly struck at that, is enough to make me consider leaving it as is. So removing it is not the priority I imagined. I'd heard about the "gunfighter" grips but was wasn't prepared for the slimness. They felt strange at first....but they're growing on me.

The first thing I did was slug the ACP cylinder chambers and they are .4515 +/- .0002. Next, I found that my handloads for the Colt auto won't chamber. That little pistol insists on bullets seated long for reliable feeding, like the 2 on the left. The Ruger chambers won't tolerate more than about .020" of full-diameter bullet exposed. A quick ckeck found that factory HP's (3 in the middle) chamber easily (of course) but I had to reseat my handloads until there was a minimum of exposed shoulder, like that on the right.

DSC_0027-004.jpg

No big deal, just good to know that I need to segregate my ammo for the 2 guns.

I pulled handloads that I had developed for the Colt 1911 over many, many range sessions. I simply seated the bullets a bit deeper a went to the range. For plinking I'm devoted to the various copper plated bullets available for $12-14/100 delivered to my doorstep.

This is the Berry 200 HP & Alliant Power Pistol with the sights bottomed out. I was shooting at a bullseye above, about where the pins in the gun are.

DSC_0005-004.jpg

My only disappointment is the sights. That's no slight on the gun, it's just that my only interest will be 200 grain bullets in the 800-1000 fps range, period. So new sights are sure to be a part of any modification package I pursue in the future. In the meantime, I'm ecstatic with the accuracy potential I've seen already.

I had to max out the elevation to get near the bull with the Rainier 200SWC and the Xtreme 200HP over WST. Four of those HP's went under 1/2" center-to-center and the fifth opened it to 1" @ 50 feet. Wait till I fine tune it. :D

DSC_0015-004.jpg

DSC_0021-004.jpg

That's not going to be acceptable and my next move is to try to locate some higher sight blades.

For 3 loads grabbed "off the shelf" I'm very impressed. I still have Bullseye, W231, 452AA, AA2 and AA5 to try and it looks like I may have to go out to 25yds to detect the best load. I'd be interested in hearing anyone else's experiences with the FT 45's.

cadillo

Blackhawk
I would be very happy with that Tall front sight. They usually come Too Short, like my .44 flat top, and even one of my Old Model .357's.

Heavier bullet, Rough Country rear sight, or judicious use of file on front sight. Either way, you are a winner whenever the front sight is not too short, as Ruger does far too often.

Very nice gun! The one other New Model I would consider buying.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I think that a taller rear blade insert is available for the factory sight. That may be all that you need. Check with Ruger Customer Service. Bowen makes an outstanding rear sight for around $90. I have had good results with them.
Best Regards,
ADP3

Rclark

Hunter
If the feather weight 200s are all you plan on shooting, then filing the front sight down is an option. I'd file it down just far enough so that you still have plenty of room to lower the rear blade (say 1/16 inch) if you decide on a heavier bullet. Shooting low is a good problem to have! Of course you could just start shooting a real cartridge such as .45 Colt with heavier bullets ;) Hah! :lol: or as I do load 250g RNFP in my .45 ACP cases.

Thanks fellas!

A number of sources catalog a "high" rear blade with white outline but nobody has it in stock. Near as I can tell, there are 2 other factory versions that appear to be the same height in pics but with different notch widths. Midway has a complete assembly for the SBH Hunter model that I can't find listed anywhere else. In the pic it sure seems to have a higher blade. It's cheap enough that I'm going to order one. For $16 I'll get a blade and some other spare parts.

If that doesn't pan out, I'll file the front blade.

woods-walker

Single-Sixer
I would try the standard 230 grain bullet before I monkeyed with the sights. I appreciate your love of the lighter bullet but this revolver was set up for both the Colt round and the standard acp round so why not give it a go for what it was designed for (heavier bullets). The 230 grain bullet would ensure you never mixed up ammo with your 1911's. Who knows accuracy may even be better with the heavier bullet..