First Detail Strip / Clean - New SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

waldo1324

Bearcat
fellas-
ive skimmed around the forum and found a bit of info on cleaners / lubes. i wanted to know what you personally like, and your thoughts on the cleaner/ lube combo products.
plz forgive if this has been posted elsewhere ad nauseum.

as this will be my first clean on a virgin piece and i want to detail strip her and get the packing grease out. i was hoping someone had a detail strip vid out as i know the mag discon remove vid is out there.
( the writeup is beautiful but detail stripping puts the fear of god in me.)

as far as the grease, some wild kid suggested i boil the slide to get the grease out. sounds ludicrous to me, and i really doubt id ever try it. just throwin that out there.

and yes i hate capitalization and i dont believe in punctuation

jhearne

Buckeye
Hey waldo1324,

Welcome to RF.com btw, there isn't much to fear on the Detail Strip I put together. The bulk of the grease is on the slide, and IMHO breaking the gun down to the internals isn't completely necessary. Tearing the SR9 down completely does help you understand a few of the parts you don't see normally. I don't think you have much to fear on the tear down, quite a few people have done it without issue, atleast none that they admitted to.

I use RemOil (spray and wipes) on my SR9, but there's plenty of solid options for your guns. Just don't use brake cleaner, could discolor or eat away at the polymer frame. I never cleaned my SR9 for about the first 1000 rounds to see if a dirty SR9 would ever fail (out of pure neglect for cleanliness internally). Never have had a failure, clean or dirty. Though some do experience problems with the factory grease if fired from the box with no prior cleaning. A quick clean before the next range outing solves most problems.

If you do tear it down and do get stuck feel free to email me, a link is at the bottom of this post. You can also post in the How-to thread stickied up top and someone else, if not me can help.

Josh

tkarter

Single-Sixer
It will be fine for the rails. I currently use gunslick on the rails and Breakfree CLP for everything else. Unless I just use the Hoppes oil. I also often clean the barrel with Hoppe's 9. Cuz I am old and know how it works.

tk

Thanks tk. Like you, I'm old and still use #9. But I think this tube of Hoppe's grease may at least as old. Just never seen it before.

Have you tried Hoppes Elite cleaner? It works well and is odorless, looks like water. I think it's the only cleaner I'll be able to use on anything I try to get the wife to carry. She won't tolerate the #9 fragerence in her purse.

waldo1324

Bearcat
thanks, jhearne!!
im going to rip her apart this weekend with my brothers, the youngest just had purchased a 24/7, the middle one owning 2 semis and an AR. and we are going to give it our best "shot".