First Blood, Part Two

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
I really think that the M77 Frontier is the perfect youth deer rifle. Our 7mm-08 Frontier seems to be perfect for my "youths" anyway.

This is my middle son, three days short of his sixth birthday, with his first deer. He shot it this afternoon, an 85-yard first shot kill on the first legal animal he's seen this season. Shot placement was as good as anyone could ask for, and confirmation that the hundreds of rounds he shot this summer were worth all of his effort. His older brother used the same rifle & load to take his first deer too.

L1010798-1.jpg

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
ASIGIAM":3qrqqxnp said:
wow look at the hole behinf the shoulder. way to go
ASIGIAM- looks like we're neighbors.

As for the hole: this is my more athletic of three sons; he also happens to be one of the most determined individuals I've met in my life. While we were shooting this summer he got to the point that he could tell me why he missed- not breathing right, bad trigger squeeze, etc. I have no doubts that he is a better shooter than I am, he just needs more experience to consistently outdo me.

chet15

Hawkeye
Trey Whitley":1s1cc1r7 said:
ASIGIAM":1s1cc1r7 said:
As for the hole: this is my more athletic of three sons; he also happens to be one of the most determined individuals I've met in my life. While we were shooting this summer he got to the point that he could tell me why he missed- not breathing right, bad trigger squeeze, etc. I have no doubts that he is a better shooter than I am, he just needs more experience to consistently outdo me.

Wow! Its great that he knows that stuff this early! Now that he knows it, its like riding a bike! Do you folks do anything with muzzle loading? That's how me and my brother started out..and exactly the same way - wait for the wind, hold your breath, squeeze gently with the tip of your finger and always be sure to follow through.
Chet15

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
chet15":2w7yli14 said:
Do you folks do anything with muzzle loading? That's how me and my brother started out..and exactly the same way - wait for the wind, hold your breath, squeeze gently with the tip of your finger and always be sure to follow through.
Chet15
I've got an Austin & Halleck sitting in the safe that's never been fired...bought it when they were closing the factory and the deal was too good to pass up, but I've never even sighted it in. I'm sure the follow-through is more critical with a muzzle-loader (especially a flintlock); all I've done with the boys to try to teach them that is off-hand with air rifles, and the old "dime & washer" drills we used to do in the Army.