Finished Finnish m91 project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

96/44

Blackhawk
Nice rifle! I also have a soft spot for Mosin Nagants, that one is definitely a keeper. I definitely don't see many m-91 rifles around here, much less Finn captured.

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
CD: Great find! I picked up an izvesk 1927 hex recievered Mosin. Cleaned up and am waiting for some brass to reload. Don't want to use corrosive in it. Got my brother a Tula hex dated 1933/4. Half the fun is finding a decent, all matching Mosin in decent shape. best, greg :D

Elfego El Gato

Staff member
Just out of curiosity: Was the lower portion of the Finnish two-piece buttstocks attached with a dovetail and the grain angled at 45 degrees to the grain of the top portion, like the two-piece stocks on the Japanese Arisaka rifles? I've read that the grain was rotated 45 degrees on the Japanese guns, because it strengthened the stocks and prevented separation and/or splitting. I'm just wondering if the Finns did the same thing (I can't tell from your picture).

Elfego El Gato

Staff member
Ah, I see! And, it looks like the grain on the lower portion *is* angled, just like on the Arisaka. As I said above, this was supposed to increase strength and combat splitting in the tropical climate of the Pacific theatre. Japanese-made rifle, Japanese rifle building techniques. Very interesting, I must say!

Latest posts