finish to match hawkeye, part II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hadjii

Bearcat
What would you all think of duracoating a scope and rings, seperately of course, to match the finish?

RJ556

Buckeye
Hadjii, I duracoat my rings because they are stainless and I prefer them black. If you are dead set on using a scope with a shiney finish, then Duracoat ( you can get it in a black that would closely match the matte finish of a Hawkeye) would be the way to go. But, there are a lot of scopes out there that are a matte finish that would match or "compliment" the Hawkeye finish. I think I would get a scope that looked good with the Hawkeye barrel and bead blast and blue the rings, if they are gloss blue or buy a set of Ruger matte finish rings.

hadjii

Bearcat
I think you're right Bearcat. I'm in the process of buying a Ruger Hawkkeye in300 RCM in the stainless. I guess I'd heard that not many silver scopes match the finish, and was just exploring the possibilities, but I think that either gloss black or flat back would be the easiest route, and then just buy a set of Leupold rings to match.

RJ556

Buckeye
Hadjii, I prefer Stainless guns with walnut stocks. I bead blast the stainless metal for a less glossy, better looking finish. Te reasons that I Duracoated my rings is because, 1) the four sets of blued rings that I needed would be very expensive, 2) I already had the equipment for Duracoating and 3) the Duracoated rings will be rust proof, as opposed to having to keep proteceion on the blued rings.
bl1.jpg