Fine...Humble Enough, Long Enough. ( AR-556)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I can fix the crown(actually already did) to a condition that allows at least useable accuracy (latest test shows 1.5 moa and no patch snagging). During this later test run, I also found the gas block dimple is mis-aligned. Hadn't noticed this before since I was single feeding. I can also fix this by substituting a clamp on gas block BUT as you said, I shouldn't have to do these things.
I would not recommend anyone buy 'ELD' barrels especially from the shall we say 'cut rate' internet sellers. Save your pocket change for another month(or go w/o $5 a cup coffee for a week) and buy FAXON, Ballistic Advantage, ROSCOE, or even CBC. At the very least those companies stand behind their products.

BRL

Single-Sixer
...I also found the gas block dimple is mis-aligned. Hadn't noticed this before since I was single feeding. I can also fix this by substituting a clamp on gas block BUT as you said, I shouldn't have to do these things.
I've decided to trim my front sight (now a gas block) even a little more to lighten it, and because I enjoy putting on 60's Sci-Fi movies and breaking out the hand files.

Still plenty to shave off around the corners without weakening it and will have even more clearance from the handguard.

One thing I hadn't mentioned previously is that the front sight apparently was slightly canted to the left from the factory, you might be able to notice the angle of the remaining gas block in the picture.

Wasn't off by much, but when I first sighted it in the rear sight (peep hole) had to be adjusted almost all the way to the left...that kinda bugs me.

Now that the front sight is attached to the handguard the rear sight is centered. :)

ETA: I put electrical tape around the block so I don't end up chiseling into the barrel while I'm watching TV.

006.JPG 014.JPG

Last edited:
I've been very satisfied with Vortex Crossfire 1-4x24. Good eye relief. Good glass. The illumination is just the center dot so it doesn't overwhelm the sight picture. That center dot covers about 1.5-2" @ 100 yards which doesn't blot out smaller targets or varmints.
I like these enough to swap one onto my EDC AR which says a LOT. That rifle is my constant companion on the farm. My shooting needs may be at 10' or 250 yards and the 1-4x handles this well (longest coyote kill with this scope was 310 yards).

BRL

Single-Sixer
I've had at least 3 Leupold scopes on my AR's that I can remember, including a 1-4 X 20 with an illuminated reticle.

My first AR with an Olympic fluted Stainless Ultra Match .223 chambered barrel was sub MOA all day long with that scope but at 100 yards, that 2 or 3 inch orange dot sure seemed mighty small even at 4 power.

Actually these days my shooting range is limited to about 65 yards because I walk if from my house and my AR chamber is 5.56 so my Sig Romeo 5 red dot is probably as good as I need.

There I just saved myself $300-$400 dollars.

... I've got to say that Delta Team Tactical ELD barrels should be avoided and DTT customer service is poor...

Ditto on avoiding Delta Team Tactical - a couple years ago, I spent a month dealing with their so-called "customer service" people (after they sent me a 0.750" gas block instead of the 0.625" part I ordered & paid for). I finally had to dispute payment through my credit card company, which only took one phone call and got my money back. If a company like DTT won't even fix a $15 problem that they caused by shipping the wrong part, good luck with anything bigger, like a barrel, complete upper, or build kit.

And because this is the Ruger forum, I will also observe that I've had ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM RUGER, from the 1980's through 2022 - better than any other manufacturer or vendor I've ever dealt with!

Obviously FWIW, IMHO, etc.

BRL

Single-Sixer
ABSOLUTELY love this AR-15!
...yea, bad ass.

Anybody got a picture of the low profile gas block under the aluminum handguard on their AR-556 MPR or AR-556 with the aluminum handguard from the factory?

Just kind of curious to see what they look like and can't find anything on YouTube.

BTW, I appreciate it when you guys post companies to avoid and those you've had good dealings with.

Nevermind, I found a diagram of that MPR gas block in my owner's manual, tiny little sucker ain't it.
...one set screw?
...wow.

Last edited:

BRL

Single-Sixer
...alright, I'll admit it...I'm spineless.

Couldn't resist the temptation of a 1X6 Primary Arms scope with a ACCS reticle.
Bought a quick detach base for both the scope and the red dot.

.22LR is what the red dot is sighted in for, plenty accurate with bulk ammo and a conversion unit.
But a .223 can reach way out there, so that cartridge deserves a better sighting system IMO.

By the time I figure out the distance to compensate the target with that reticle...toss in a little wind drift, a 3.8 MPH walking pace, and I suppose current barometric pressure around here or some such...the dang target will be in the next county.

BIG FUN PEOPLE!

Latest posts