Fine...Humble Enough, Long Enough. ( AR-556)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BRL

Single-Sixer
Got me a new Ruger toy.
This thing is bad butt!

You should see what I've done to it!

Trimmed the STEEL front sight and went from there! :)

a2gbuk4m.jpg

EfFUMhtm.jpg

If you would like more post.

I received a parts order by mail today and by evening had used most of them on partially finished AR's. Gotta wait on my next allowance(AKA retirement check) to order more parts.
Maybe I shouldn't mention this here but I've got to say that Delta Team Tactical ELD barrels should be avoided and DTT customer service is poor. I spent $120(sale price) on a DTT ELD stainless steel barrel and noticed when I cleaned it prior to test firing that it snagged patches on the crown. Not good--that indicates burrs. Test firing went just as poorly as I expected and when I gave up and went back to the workbench, I found a bur visible completely around the crown. After multiple attempts to get a RMA to return the barrel, I finally gave it a dose of DREMEL and cleaning. Next non-windy day, I'll waste another 10 shells to see if this helps.

Reactions: BRL

BRL

Single-Sixer
Post it wearever you like, if you're not receiving the best service from your chosen vender say so.

Ruger in North Dakota has their stuff together!

....just needed a little tweaking with a better trigger to make it mine.

Love the medium/heavy barrel....oh and they finally decided to shield the firing pin.

...weird cotter pin setup.

Attachments

• 009 (2).JPG
    009 (2).JPG
    494.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 004 (7).JPG
    004 (7).JPG
    695.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
If you want cheap AR parts, avoid DTT (they were merely okay for me) and use Right to Bear. They have daily deals and are helpful if there's a problem with your order. Even those on a tight budget can buy a few parts every month to build an inventory.

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
Post it wearever you like, if you're not receiving the best service from your chosen vender say so.

Love the medium/heavy barrel....oh and they finally decided to shield the firing pin.

...weird cotter pin setup.
Ruger in North Dakota, you say?

BRL

Single-Sixer
Wow I did say North Dakota didn't I.

North Carolina.

You'd think with all the tinkering I've done with this thing I would at least get that right.

Sorry about that.

I have some 5.56 ammo, but I have a bunch of .22LR ammo!

I got a CMMG conversion unit and the thing does a good job of hitting tin cans out there.

Being the show-off that I am, I hand polished the conversion unit up.

The bolt slides really nice on the rails now too.

Attachments

• 003 (6).JPG
    003 (6).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • 010 (3).JPG
    010 (3).JPG
    888.1 KB · Views: 71

BRL

Single-Sixer
Here is something strange, once I removed the front sight post out of the sight picture, I ordered a Ruger factory fold-down front sight to match the one that came on the back of the rifle.

Dang thing doesn't have a blade-stop spring loaded detent pin!

At first I thought maybe somebody forgot to put it in place, but it doesn't even have the hole to accommodate a spring loaded detent.

Figured out that I could just add a certain number of thin shim washers to set the elevation and then tighten the blade down on them, but I liked where it sits without any shims at all so I left it there.

It was only after I received the sight that I read the reviews and everybody was commenting on the lack of that detent.

Heck the sights are for back-up use anyway, so they stay folded down normally.

002.JPG

I've assembled a few AR's with 'BUIS' when specifically requested. I even have a set of MagPul BUIS flip-ups on my 'suitcase carbine' that rides along on long trips but I don't really feel there's a need for them if one uses a good quality optic. If one likes the look or really feels the need, that's a personal choice.

BRL

Single-Sixer
Actually I have those open sights adjusted for .223/5.56 and my Sig Romeo 5 is adjusted for my CMMG .22LR conversion unit.

They both strike the target in two different locations, and I plan on shooting a bunch of .22LR through that conversion unit, so for now the red dot is adjusted for .22LR.

I agree with you about having a good quality scope, but I'm well familiar with Mr. Murphy and that scope is electronic after all.

BRL

Single-Sixer
Alright I'm back!

Had some trouble logging in as BRL so I changed my user name to RBL and thanks to LCP22LR I got it all straightened out.

I can not emphasize how much I really like how my gas block modification came out, I actually shaped it before the handguard showed up and it fit like a glove, with clearance all the way around.

And shaving weight off of that steel front sight with that chunky bayonet lug/ quick detach socket, helped offset the weight of that relatively heavy factory barrel.

A picture of my Ruger Mini-30 carbine before Photobucket deleted everything, I managed to save one picture of it.

As you can see I like kitchen table gunsmithing.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • uIXoHwf.jpg
    uIXoHwf.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 73

BRL

Single-Sixer
Wow I hate computers!

OK now I'm BRL.

Another of my Rugers (TOP)

Attachments

• 002 (5).JPG
    002 (5).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
I'm having trouble seeing/understanding what you did to your front sight/gas block. With all the available options was this more of a personal satisfaction job?

BRL

Single-Sixer
Yea I suppose I could have just replaced the front sight with a low profile gas block, but the Ruger sight is pinned on top instead of on the bottom like every other AR front sight I have ever seen.

Pinning is a very secure way of insuring the sight won't come loose like a gas block with Allen screws might and besides, the gas port is factory aligned already so why not make use of the taper pin cuts that are already in the barrel.

And it appears to me that a Ruger front sight may actually be longer than your typical mil. spec front sight from the back to the bayonet lug but I may be wrong on that one.

...and yes it was personally satisfying. :)

Some on the internet believe that front sight is made of aluminum but it is made of steel and pretty heavy for what it is with the addition of that QD hole, before I trimmed it down.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    694.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Years before the 'flat top' became popular, I was chopping off sight towers and rounding off the gas block. Somewhere around here, I have an upper that has had the carry handle/rear sight milled off and Weaver type bases attached to the stubs.

BRL

Single-Sixer
Years before the 'flat top' became popular, I was chopping off sight towers and rounding off the gas block. Somewhere around here, I have an upper that has had the carry handle/rear sight milled off and Weaver type bases attached to the stubs.
I've heard of people doing that to an upper but never saw one in person.

Hey I think I'm done tinkering with this AR-15 for now, I only have 50 rounds of .223, 10 rounds of 5.56, and only about 50 CCI Mini-Mag .22's through it.

Pretty new to me and I started to tweak on it almost immediately after buying it. :)

BRL

Single-Sixer
I received a parts order by mail today and by evening had used most of them on partially finished AR's. Gotta wait on my next allowance(AKA retirement check) to order more parts...
I hear ya, I'm retired now too, (Ain't It Great!)

Spent my last $$$ on property tax to get that burden off my back for another year, so now I may have to go on some kind of a forced diet.

No biggie, I got my new Ruger AR-556 and I am looking at some of those Vortex or Primary Arms 1X6X24 scopes to maybe help me burn up my next paycheck.

Sorry to hear about your barrel crown, you shouldn't have to go through that stuff with a new barrel, but that can be fixed rather easily I hope.

Gotta throw in a picture.

001 (7).JPG