Find the Hawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My Night Hawk Louie the Hooter I took care of for awhile:)

1670542438291.png

1670542542793.png

1670542608028.png

RC44Mag

Bearcat
In the 60‘s -70’s I was lucky if I saw one hawk a year at that. It was the DDT years and birds of prey were decimated by the poison. Now I see them all day long, red tails and ospreys are the most common with birds and nests it seems all over. A couple kestrels, great horned owls and even a nesting pair of bald eagles about 5 miles away from home which have returned for about seven seasons now . So glad they made a remarkable comeback.

Ride1949

Buckeye
Some excellent pictures in this thread. Jim. I remember that thread. It was a good one.Did you ever see Louie again after you cut him loose?

Some excellent pictures in this thread. Jim. I remember that thread. It was a good one.Did you ever see Louie again after you cut him loose?
The next year Momma Hooter nested again in our tree and hatched one little one. Sad do say it fell out of the nest and did not survive.
They still come back every year but are nesting in a different area close by. I sure wish they would come back to our tree. I really enjoyed the time they were here and taking care of Louie.

harley08

Single-Sixer
I also have 2 red or brown tail hawks living close to my house. They sometimes eat grubs that are in the ground!
I have not seen them get any wild life but have seen rabbit fur and bird feathers in the back yard!

KIR

Blackhawk
In 2018, while at the Marina in Sparks, NV, I spotted a Bald Eagle atop of a tree. Only had an old compact camera at the time, so quality of the pic is not all that great. Have also had a couple of woodpeckers at the trees on my front yard and during this latest drought, lots of crows and ravens. UPDATE: I forgot to mention that somewhere south of Carson City there is an area where Bald Eagles frequent. Have to find out more info.

Attachments

• Eagle 003.jpeg
    Eagle 003.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

turd

Buckeye
When I lived in the Des Moines area, eagles were pretty common in winter. Both the Des Moines River and the Raccoon River were open most of the winter. We often would see them near the downtown area where the rivers came together.

Attachments

• P1000879.JPG
    P1000879.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • P1000885.JPG
    P1000885.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

turd

Buckeye
When we first moved into our now home, to the south was grassland and farmland. Not far off were a couple of old cottonwood trees. We had a great horned owl and several red tailed hawks in the area at that time. As the development filled, the owl was gone first, then the hawks. At one time, I watched a hawk take one of the small birds near our feeder and sit on my lawn eating it. Gross, but still made me realize what survival really means. We don't have many rabbits here. 😎

Bad Barlow

Single-Sixer
When we first moved into our now home, to the south was grassland and farmland. Not far off were a couple of old cottonwood trees. We had a great horned owl and several red tailed hawks in the area at that time. As the development filled, the owl was gone first, then the hawks. At one time, I watched a hawk take one of the small birds near our feeder and sit on my lawn eating it. Gross, but still made me realize what survival really means. We don't have many rabbits here. 😎
We saw our first "Flicker" a type of woodpecker this week.

Attachments

• IMG_20221203_082138975.jpg
    IMG_20221203_082138975.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14