Finally Seduced by the Dark Side...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
Today I pulled the trigger on an auction for a new Ruger Blackhawk 0446 .45 Colt / 45 ACP Convertible, which is my first single action revolver. It is New, blued, with a 4 5/8" barrel, and comes with two cylinders, one for .45ACP and the other for 45LC. I am only interested in the .45ACP and will probably never use the other cylinder, but I guess it is nice to have. I have been a dye hard single/double action revolver enthusiast for over four decades, but today I finally gave into to the dark side of the force.

I got it for $511 + 20 shipping, and I don't even know if that is a good price or not. No matter it is too late to change my mind now. LOL

Now to find an old west type holster for it so I can wear it around the farm when I am out and about.

Anything I should know about single action revolvers that someone new to them might not know.

palabman

Bearcat
Congrats! I just bought my first SA about 2 weeks ago. The same 45 Colt/45 ACP as you have. That was a better price than I paid at Bud's ($540). You are going to love this revolver. I had it to the range this weekend and shot some 255 gr reloads I cooked up. Shot 2 1/2 inch group freehand at 10 yards so I'm a happy camper. I'll get it out this weekend and try 45 acp.

palabman

Bearcat
I forgot to mention that I just bought a Bianchi "Lawman" #1L holster from Amazon. Check it out, it may also work for you.

Rclark

Hunter
Congrats on the new convertible .45 . You'll enjoy it. My cylinder choose is the other way around ... I shoot mostly .45 Colt :) .

I'd just 'shoot' it and see what you have. But, first though make sure all the screws are present and not loose. Check a few times during your shooting to see if all is still 'tight'. Pay attention especially to the ejector housing screw. The ejector housing is know to fly off at the most unexpected moment :eek: . At home you can make sure it functions ok. Doesn't hang up while cocking the hammer for example (do this with gun unloaded) . Also load the cylinder with 6 .45 ACP rounds at home to check and see if you can rotate the cylinder (loading gate is open) . Unload and you are good to go. Remove the cylinder and check your bore for any obstructions. Maybe even clean it. That's really the basic checkout. Enjoy.

I will usually break the gun all the way down and clean/oil/stone the internals before shooting it, but this isn't really necessary. Just go shoot it! Later you should take the time and check out what you have 'inside'.

JmE

Single-Sixer
finesse_r said:
Now to find an old west type holster for it so I can wear it around the farm when I am out and about.
My western rig always seemed to get in the way. I found that a Threepersons type holster works pretty well around a farm and in town. My New Vaquero sits in a holster that hangs from a Beltman trouser belt as an everyday carry sidearm (EDC). It never leaves my side and doesn't get in the way for farm work or play. If you're carrying it all of the time on a farm, I'd suggest a holster that hangs the gun no higher than the cylinder at the belt. The western rigs were too low for me and the concealed carry holsters were too high to be as comfortable all day and everyday compared to something like a Threepersons type.

finesse_r said:
Anything I should know about single action revolvers that someone new to them might not know.
Since you have a single action and are planning on using only the ACP cylinder, a 1911 (or any .45 ACP magazine really) makes a nice and convenient speed loader for the revolver. You can pick up a cheap 6 round 1911 magazine or, as I do, just use the government sized 7 round one. Some opt to cut the magazine spring some so there is less tension on the rounds for reloading but I shoot 1911 also so I leave mine alone. A magazine holder with a snap flap and belt loop works well to keep the magazine with you. An inexpensive knife sheath in the proper size that has the fold over snap flap works well too.

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
Thanks all for the tips on holsters and for the tips on checking out a new revolver. It is rare for me to buy something new as I truly prefer the older DA/SA revolvers to the newer ones. It never occurred to me that Ruger would let something out of their factory that might not be ready to go.

deanodog

Bearcat
Nice catch. I love SAs and I have two 45/45s. I leave the ACP cylinder in one and the 45 colt in the other.

k22fan

Blackhawk
As you could guess from my screen name I'm also mostly a DA guy. The main difference firing SAs that DA guys often don't know not to fight is simple: let the plow handle roll IN your hand. Eventually you'll be trying warmed up .45 Colts and with the aluminum grip frame they'll kick. Firing standard 240 gr. 1300-1400 fps loads I find a Super Blackhawk (SBH) more comfortable than any DA with a hard back strap. You'll read and hear cowboy action shooters say for rapid fire they block the plow handle from rolling with a finger curled under it but remember cowboy action shooters are most famous for powder puff loads. Your ACP's recoil likely will fall some where in between. I'd let her roll for best accuracy.

dakota1911

Buckeye
When you have more than two I guess you collect them. My latest is a .45LC/45ACP Lipsey Flatop. Lovely pistol.

Then there is is Bisely.

And then there are a few others

I also have a 357/9mm convert. Blackhawk and of course a .22/22Mag Single six. Now I wish Ruger would come out with a 10mm/40S&W convertible Blackhawk.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
'I also have a 357/9mm convert. Blackhawk and of course a .22/22Mag Single six. Now I wish Ruger would come out with a 10mm/40S&W convertible Blackhawk."

Wouldn't that be sweet?

schloss

Single-Sixer
My first revolver was a DA, as well.

After my wife bought me a BP revolver, I immediately thought, "what other stupid choices have I made?" I love that cheap revolver. (I had been talked out of a SBH when I was looking for my first revolver. "you can shoot a double action revolver in single or double action" he said. What a load of garbage.)

Since then, a few blackhawks invited themselves in, and a few more are trying. Sometimes I think that some DA's look good, but it doesn't take much willpower to walk away.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I too have slipped to the dark side. That Ruger 45 cal convertable has been calling my name for decades. I could not resist the stainless Flat top. The gun shoots great. I have really been missing out.

My plan is to shoot the 45 ACP cylinder much, field carry it with the 45 Colt cylinder.

Hope you enjoy your new gun!

Corbi

375supermag

Blackhawk
Interesting choice...
I have a BlackHawk in .45/45ACP and have never used the .45ACP cylinder.
Maybe the fact that I have a couple of 1911s in .45ACP and a 1917 .45ACP that I shoot .45AutoRim in keeps me from trying the .45ACP cylinder.
I also have several other .45Colts and I really like the cartridge. Some days .45Colt is my favorite cartridge. Some days, its .44Special and other days its .41Magnum.

I have never used the 9mm cylinder in my .357Magum convertible BlackHawk, either. Then again, I never shoot .38Specials in any of my .357Magnums or .44Specials in any of my .44Magnums.
I have other revolvers for those cartridges.