Finally scored a MkII in SouCal!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've been looking for a nice stainless MKII to got with my blue MKII Standard for a long time. They are tough to find in Southern California; people want them more than the MKIII, which is now readily available from dealers here. Looking kinda halfheartedly at one of the best dealers (in Orange CA), I found TWO, a blue MKII678 and a stainless KMKII678; both in near new condition. Bought the KMK for about the same price as a new standard blue MKIII. Can't wait for some range time (Actually, I HAVE to wait for 10 days--did I spell CALIFORNICATION right?????

Just think of all the dough I can sink into mods!!!!

Nogunsmith4me

Single-Sixer
This one used to be my blued Ruger MKII STD. I always wanted a SS but no such luck so.... I finaly decided to removed the bued my self and polished the hell out of it including the mags. Still shows little shadows on top of the trigger bar but that's because I'm not done yet.. :twisted:
mvc081f.jpg

Nogunsmith, I would have jumped at a KMKII6 if I could have found one, but in two years I have never seen one for sale (nor a KMKII4) in CA, and believe me I've been looking (Calguns.net, pawnshops, gunshops, advertised by skywriting--OK I lied about that last thing). I'll just have to "settle" for my KMKII678.....

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Nogunsmith4me":278my4a0 said:
This one used to be my blued Ruger MKII STD. I always wanted a SS but no such luck so.... I finaly decided to removed the bued my self and polished the hell out of it including the mags. Still shows little shadows on top of the trigger bar but that's because I'm not done yet.. :twisted:

So, do I understand you removed the finish entirely? What is there to keep it from rusting? Just curious, it looks great.

captainkirk

Nogunsmith4me

Single-Sixer
What is there to keep it from rusting? well....., I clean the MKII the same way I clean my SS GP100 and SS MKIII to prevent them from getting rusted. Like any other tool, a firearm must be properly cared for if it is to maintain its usefulness over time. Just like a car engine, it should be periodically cleaned and lubricated in order to minimize wear and tear, and to maximize performance. In this case, I always make sure to use a good rust-preventing oil after cleaning them and before storing any of my guns. Never had any problem with rust!

rooger

Single-Sixer
nogunsmith4me, were those magazines originally SS or did you de-blue and polish them like the pistol?

Nogunsmith4me

Single-Sixer
rooger":3gvqoszv said:
nogunsmith4me, were those magazines originally SS or did you de-blue and polish them like the pistol?

They are the original blued magazines but I de-blue and polished them to match the pistol.

fyimo

Bearcat
I got lucky way back when and scored my stainless Ruger Mark II new and I'd never sell it.
RugerMarkII-2.jpg

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
captainkirk":3ckr3hj4 said:
What is there to keep it from rusting? Just curious, it looks great.

Hi,

Given the normal care Nogunsmith mentions, a very highly polished piece of gun steel may well be nowhere nearly as prone to rust as one w/ a regular level of polish.

We had a fellow at our gun club for many years (rest his soul) who liked polishing double shotgun frames (receivers, if you wish) to what was virtually a mirror finish--folks generally thought he'd chromed 'em! He explained that the higher level of polish smoothed the microscopic pits in the surface to where they wouldn't attract or hold moisture and such.

Dunno if his reasoning was correct but his results spoke for themselves: none of 'em ever rusted that I saw.

Rick C