Finally got it......my ITTY BITTY POCKET ROCKET.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I have been wanting a true POCKET PISTOL for a while now. I don't carry at work because I normally wear dress slacks with a buttoned dress shirt, tucked in, with no jacket. There's no place to conceal a CCW, other than in a pocket. I thought I had found the right gun when I picked up the Kahr MK9, but the all stainless pistol was still too large and just too heavy to be comfortable.

I've been waiting for the Ruger LCP's to become more available at better prices. FINALLY, I found one on Gunbroker for $315 delivered, so I ordered it a couple of weeks ago. I then ordered a Hunter wallet style holster from Midway ($22.95) and found a LGS that had some Hornady Critical Defense ammo on the shelf for a reasonable price.

I have been carrying this rig all week in my back pocket, and I can truly say that I LOVE IT!!!

It is so light, that I literally forget that it is in my pocket, and it's just as comfortable as my wallet.

I haven't put a ton of ammo through it yet, but so far it has functioned flawlessly with both hardball and the Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

I know, I know....it's not a BIG BORE,.....but I'd rather be armed with this ALL THE TIME than be unarmed some of the time. I still carry something more robust on the weekends when I can dress more casually, with an untucked shirt.

I can now declare that I will NEVER venture forth from my house unarmed again!

P1010047-1.jpg

P1010058.jpg

And just for good measure.....here it is next to its big brother......my P345 which lives in my truck.

P1010062-1.jpg

Edirty692

Bearcat
SWEET!!!! Have to get one. Glad to know it feels like a wallet in your pocket. I was worried it would feel a little weird in your back pocket. Good to know it does't.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Well, that's a mighty fine combination with the P345 and LCP, exact same combination I have!

Glad that the wallet holster is working out so well for you, but if you decide you want something else, crossbreed holsters makes a "mini-tuck" tuckable IWB holster that was designed just for the LCP/Kel-tec. I've worn it under the exact clothes you described, and the gun disappears. My fiancee couldn't tell I was wearing it at the events, which is good. She doesn't think I should have to carry at weddings and such. I'm not so much worried about the events, it's driving through Dallas at night that worries me.

A

Anonymous

I like your holster for the LCP. I believe you have a very viable "always" set up. I am assuming you are using it for right side pocket carry with the flat leather giving a wallet appearance. Should work for front or rear pocket.

I have carried a 32 Kel Tec in a Desantis Nemises (SP) for 7-8 years. It is nothing more than a "get off me gun" but It goes with me even when my 1911 does not. It gives me assurance of "always being armed" when something larger "is just to heavy today". Your dress code requirements are similar to mine and I believe you will be satisfied and safe.

Regards,
:) :) :)

Ethang

Blackhawk
I got one a couple months ago. Nope, it's not a 45 but it too goes with me everywhere. Good choice.

I have a Nemisis but don't really like it. The handle will still print in blue jeans. I am waiting on a custom pocket holster with the flap. Should be in anytime now.

Charger22

Bearcat
Well sir I do have to agree with your fine taste in hadguns. I am looking to get a better photo op for the two.

IMG_0939.jpg

Charger22

Bearcat
gatorhugger":1st22ok8 said:
I would rather have a rock than a puny 380, you are taking your life in your hands.

Really good logic. Seriously really good logic, let me know how that works out for you.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
gatorhugger":2jvx69li said:
I would rather have a rock than a puny 380, you are taking your life in your hands.

I clearly prefer larger caliber guns for home or self defense, preferably something in 44 or 45 cal. Sometimes, though, it's just not practical to carry one.

In my case, having a super compact firearm (the LCP) means the difference in being able to pack all the time vs. some/most of the time.

That said, some of the newer "high tech" 380 ammo is certainly worthy of serious consideration as a personal defense round.

Hornady seems to have done quite a bit of engineering on its Critical Defense line of ammo. If their PR is to be believed, it is quite superior to even their own excellent XTP line of ammo.

Check it out here: http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=786

Here's a photo from Hornady's website showing the penetration of the 380 round in ballistic gellatin, AFTER passing through layers of heavy clothing.

critical-defense-gelatin-lg.jpg

Bottom line (as in someone's sig line): a 380 in the hand is better than a 45 in the truck.

BTW, do you have any reliable penetration data for your rock? :roll:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I didn't really mean the Rock comment, it was sarcasm. I just always wanted to say that stupid line! :)
I have multiple p3at's and LCP's.
Never leave home without it.
2ndchromelcp001.jpg

Knuckles

Buckeye
Look at all the WWII German 9mm round-ball that was killing folks with no problem... the new 380cals' are just as capable.

It might not knock you off your feet but look at the mess it made out of that ballistic gel... heck the next thing we'll hear is that a .22LR isn't deadly... my dad was a fireman and when he went on medical call where someone tried to end it all with a .22LR... it worked every time.

I'll take a .380 as well as anything else I can hide on my person. :wink:

gatorhugger":2fia2jxa said:
I didn't really mean the Rock comment, it was sarcasm. I just always wanted to say that stupid line! :)
I have multiple p3at's and LCP's.
Never leave home without it.

Hehe, its all cool gator. Mine was sarcasm too. I always wanted to say what I just said about a pip squeak round too. My former .380 was Sig P230. The wife's was a Bersa Thunder. We don't have .380s anymore though.

She now has a Bersa Thunder 9mm she picked out, she loves the grip. My main carry gun is about the same size my P230 was, its a Kahr CW9.