Finally getting rain in north MO

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I'm feeling better about life now that it seems Mother Nature has stopped beating us up. Last week was rough on crops and an educated estimate was I/we were losing $1000 per day across the board. It's much worse in central Iowa according the reports I'm getting. Son hits the central Iowa area frequently and Cousin travels the SC/SW/NW Iowa, SE Nebraska area. Both are telling the same story.
I feel fortunate that we are on good bottom land that has (until last week) suffered very little.
I've seen a lot of weather disasters over the years and lost a lot of crops for various reasons so I'm glad that I no longer answer to bank loan officers-just my own judgement. With current state of world affairs and the drastic increase in cost of operation, I can see some(possibly MANY) farmers who simply can't continue. This is a dangerous trend as farming has a constant turnover anyway due to age and health of us older operators and the young operators shying away from a questionable future.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good to hear!

I wish we could send some of our rain your way. We've had daily showers all around our area for the last month.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I put in 9 hours traveling a 300 mile loop talking to farmers today. Most were in good spirits. Some had much more moisture than I have over the past few weeks. All were happy with what we got over the past 24 hours.
Hard to tell much about a corn field just driving past but I saw a LOT of soybeans that weren't more than knee high(and they weren't 'double crop' beans). Now, soybeans don't have to be tall to make a good crop but many of those I saw are seriously 'growth deprived'.
I did see a pretty big buck standing in a soybean field just watching cars fly by on the 4 lane. No kidding, this will be a 160+ buck if he stays away from the highway. Did NOT see Bigfoot or any evidence thereof.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
"Turkeys?"
Yes, I saw some turkeys. A couple of singles at long distance and a hen w/5 poults crossing a county road right in front of my bumper. For a while I was in some pretty rough country around the headwaters of Mark Twain lake so anything was possible(including Sasquatch).
300 miles with less than 3 miles of 'retrace' makes for a lot of different scenery.

turd

Buckeye
I used to live in the Des Moines, IA metro and hunted deer and turkeys in south central Iowa 10 miles or so from the Misery state line. Lots of both in that area. Used to travel I35 to KC several times each year and an observant person can usually see one or both from the interstate. Beautiful country IMHO.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I'll start conducting crop progress reports end of next week. That's when the facts begin to get put on paper. I'm pretty good at 'windshield estimating' but crawling around in the dirt is more precise.

jkmo

Bearcat
Just a few. Pretty slow. Buddy had a 4 + on that got off right at the boat

Latest posts