Finally a motorcycle horn that will get their attention

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
Against my better judgement I jumped onto I-75 for a short 7 mile ride, a stretch that is really dangerous. What could possibly go wrong? :roll:

I'm 70 mph in the slow lane coming up on the last exit in GA. Over a little rise I saw 3 lanes of people braking so I put on my turn signal and got off that exit to bypass the jam. I was keeping an eye on this truck with TX tags that was in front of me and still on the interstate. At the last possible moment he abruptly whipped that truck across the wide interstate shoulder and the gravel no man's land between the interstate lane/shoulder and the exit lane. He'd have run me completely over if didn't violently jerk the bike onto the shoulder while grabbing all the brakes I could. I then laid on my horn.

I got up next to that SOB and cussed him a blue streak. He and his passenger, both in their 30's, didn't even look at me. Thankfully the one lane exit opened into 3 lanes because there was a car broken down on the shoulder I was forced into. The guy standing behind the car saw the whole thing and was just shaking his head. I was still still laying into that fool at the red light and the next one :)

I met my friend at the Indian dealership. A few hours later we rode to a restaurant and I told him what had happened. He said he was thinking about getting a train horn; I've said that before but never acted on it. Well, today his cousin in WI posted about a train type air horn that you can mount on a motorcycle :twisted: I'm the one who's taking stuff off a motorcycle, not adding it on. I might make an exception.

Anyway, this thing doesn't look too bad. I want something loud enough for the transgressor to throw their cell phone or instantly correct their bad behavior. Here's what 150 decibels of attitude adjustment looks like LOL (bike image is from the website)

www.facebook.com/Trendrun/videos/619731372112836

http://www.trendrun.com/?fbclid=IwAR069T0SXJna2zy3euktp2aMBMh64WEZovPf5wmQ8DhKaL_N--iNhKc80QY

http://www.trendrun.com/pages/mhorn?fbclid=IwAR2S11lSl_o5QtYlC91F0JM1g5xpv6Z84Bj_RBJmUK6vC7DcIaxNC_rm3Qg

:mrgreen:

contender

Ruger Guru
Too many people do NOT pay attention to anything when they drive. It's like they are in a cloud & nobody around them. Or,, they are texting while driving. I followed a guy a week or so back,, from Bat Cave,, to Almost Asheville,,, on US 74-A. Much of that road is twisty, winding curves,, up & down hills. He was texting the WHOLE time. He was all over the road too. He was texting as we got near Asheville,, and a State Trooper was in the middle of the road. Sadly,, he saw the trooper,,, AND the trooper was turning into a development. He ALMOST blew by the trooper speeding & all.

A LOUD,, obnoxious horn of any kind that scares the begebbes out of these types is exactly what they need. Get that train horn,, install it,, and nail them!

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Having put over 75K miles on two wheels, I understand the need. HOWEVER, a
150db horn is close to a .45acp in sound level. - - - Does your helmet provide at
least 30db attenuation? If not, your hearing WILL suffer.

In a car, I can see this as being VERY helpful.

Cholo

Staff member
Since around '90 I've worn hearing protection when on a motorcycle and double protection on some of my bikes. The minimum protection I use is a NRR 30, and that's what I wear on the bike I'm considering putting this horn on.

Those FIAMM horns are amazing at 128 db's with a 12A draw, and the single horn at 133 db's with a 6A draw. The train horn above has a whopping 20A draw! That part I don't like.

Anyone who rides a motorcycle has had close calls due to some fool in a car/truck. Because we were both still doing 70 mph, it would probably have been fatal had I not been watching for someone to pull a stunt like this. This one makes my top 5 motorcycle near death experiences by a car/truck since '73. Congrats, ***hole!

I meant to take backroads to meet my friend but was on auto pilot and headed for the fastest way. I'll turn around next time. I will never take a motorcycle on the 4 mile radius where I-75 and I-24 come together in TN, here called the 75/24 split. It's insane even in a car.

Rook

Blackhawk
I lived there for 6 years during the 90s. I had to drive through there twice a day going to and from work. It was even worse back then because the whole Interstate was under construction from the intersection going into town on 24 and going out of town toward Knoxville all the way to the mountain on 75. I've been sitting in a traffic jam at 1:00 AM due to the construction. That was always fun after putting in a 12 hour shift especially when there was a wreck in the construction.

Cholo

Staff member
That entire mess is going thru a major redesign right now. It's worse than ever as some shoulders have been eliminated. For those who don't know, Chattanooga is an old Indian word for Road Construction.

Rook, it sounds like you went thru the hell of the (I-24) Ridge Cut construction boondoggle of the mid to late 90's on I-24. I didn't think they'd ever get done.

RSIno1

Hunter
I had the same problem with a little Austin Mini station wagon. I put on a pair of 6 volt horns off my 47 Lincoln Zepher. Solved the problem.

bogus bill

Hunter
I had a 1963 harley and a 1964 harley that still had those trumpet horns. They weren't very loud. You can see them in front of my knee on these old pictures. (My little girl is 41 now so its been awhile.)
https://i.postimg.cc/Px0QYrWj/1963-Harley.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/sXMJMZZm/Crystal-me-1964-Harley.jpg
While I am playing show and tell, here`s a 69 hog I had. No trumpet horn. Forgot where it`s horn was located on the bike.
https://i.postimg.cc/02S2F6W2/Me-1969-Harley.jpg
Nother one.
https://i.postimg.cc/7L63RTX4/Merril-Hans-Sandifer.jpg
Another picture of the 64 and the 76 TA. Now I am on a walker. Live while you can boys!
https://i.postimg.cc/m21t4pD4/My-1964-Harley-1976-T-Am.jpg

vito

Hunter
The stock horn on my 2016 Goldwing is the first motorcycle horn that I have ever owned that is worth anything. Its a real horn, but not of the power of a truck horn.

Mike J

Hunter
I believe that horn is probably a good idea. I haven't rode since the mid-90's. I let a friend use my bike for a few days because his car had blown a head gasket. He was going home after picking up a loaf of bread from the store. Stopped for a red light & an elderly man ran all over him & my motorcycle sitting stopped at a red light. I never bought another one. It had just gotten where every time I got out on my bike I felt like I had a target on my back. I liked that old Yamaha XS-11 though & while it wasn't a sport bike it had some juice. I still keep the endorsement on my license. Who knows? Maybe one day.

Latest posts