Finally a chance to shoot the .327

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Since the snow has melted and the weather is nicer here in Northern Illinois, I finally had a chance to shoot my new .327 Blackhawk. What a great gun. The only ammo I could find however was .32 longs.

I shot the .327 along side a single six with .22 magnums and a .30 Carbine. The .327 was the most accurate. I was shooting at about 20 yards at steel plates. The 30 Carbine blast just scared the plates into submission. With the .327 I had to actually hit them. But like I said, the sights were calibrated correctly, right out of the box, for my eyes at least.

Talk about dirty though, the 32 longs came out of the cylinder grimy and covered in soot. I suppose because of their length.

range.jpg

With 32 Longs, the .327 was more mild than the .22 magnum. I think because of the heavier gun. Still, however, far and away, my favorite caliber is .22, and today my sub 200 dollar single six performed great.

single.jpg

group1.jpg

I also shot my .357 New Model Vaquero. I haven't shot a Vaquero, however, I think I like the new model vaquero over the Blackhawk. Do they have different triggers? Overall, the NM Vaquero just seems smooth, while the Blackhawk is rough, everything from the loading gate, to cylinder spin etc.

I'm too embarrassed to say on the GP100, the battery in the red dot was dead, so I wound up not even shooting it. Well, just gives me an excuse to go back.

BenT

Bearcat
You won't get the feel for the 327 until you start shooting hotter loads, The cases are sooty because 32 long is pretty wimpy and doesn't get enough pressure to expand the brass to seal the cylinder. At least get 32 H&R to get better potential out of the gun.

Keep us updated , I'm on the fence about buying one.

BenT:
I'd say go for it. The others who've gotten the 327 Blackhawk seem to really like them. On my way home I stopped by one of the gun stores I frequent and they had plenty of .327 Federal Magnum. It was $29 for 50 rounds. I paid $32 for 50 of the 32 longs. Right now I reload but only for rifle. If I start shooting this revolver more, I'll buy some dies. At least I have the brass now.

BenT

Bearcat
Kevin the thing about bying dies is that the same dies are used for all three 32 SW, HR, FED. Buy carbide dies and no lubing neccisary. My buddy has 2 blackhawks that shoot 32-20 or 32 H&R. I have a baby Vaquero in 32 H&R.
It's much cheaper shooting if you load your own. About 100 rounds in an hour with a single stage press. I cast my own 90gr bullets. My buddy just bought 500 cast bullet from Missouri bullets or something like that for around $35. They shoot fine. He got them from Graf's or Midway. I've had Lee dies for around 5 years no problems.

I've had a Lipsey's 44 special on order since last August. But now that I see it is a standard stock item . I might push that off till next year. Plus the local shop has a Buckeye in 32 HR and 32-20 . Too many options not enough money !

dougader

Hunter
Yeah, that baby will wake up when you start shooting actual 327 federal ammo in it.

I much prefer shooting a 32 mag or 327 federal over a .22lr, especially when the ammo is handloaded and doesn't cost so much.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have been shooting the 327 for about a year now. Had my Buckeye 32 H&R Mag cylinder rechambered by Bowen to 327 Mag. Now have a USFA convertible in 32 WCF/327 Mag as well as the new Blackhawk. While it is true that you can shoot all the short 32's in the 327, I think that misses the point of the 327. Load it up and shoot it. It is a good shooter. Have been using Federal brass and is holding up well.

nn

Single-Sixer
.32 S&W long within it's range capabilities is a very accurate rnd. As you found out.
Fiocchi wad cutters in that caliber seem best and cleaner and very little leading.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
A bit of a diversion:

If you have accuracy issues with .22 WMR in any gun ...... be it long or short barreled ...... try different ammo until you find one it likes.

If you are still thwarted ....... buy the book from Beartooth bullets on shooting cast bullets and get into firelapping. Granted, .22 WMR is all jacketed but the methods and advice works for it as well.

Three 44s