Few Ol' Dogs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
It was one hell of a day here in Alaska--up to 51 degress, bit breezy, but just god awful gorgeous day. So nice I decided to take a few ol' dogs out of the dark safe and into the sun at the range. With the exception of a FA, a Colt SAA and a little work by J. Linebaugh, the rest are just ol' Rugers. I didn't shoot all of them since the factory lettered 45 brass frame may have a new home next week, I left it alone. The rest got a little attention--some more than others.

photo-1.jpg

photo2.jpg

During the first trip to the range I ran some 100+ rounds of mostly target 45 colt, a few heavier 300gr and 335 gr loads and 90 rounds of 475 linebaugh. Kept to only 90 rounds of in the 475 only because its all I had after I ran out of Boolits. So shot some steel targets of a buddy's and then ran 15 rounds off hand--mostly single handed--at 50 yrds. Just trying to empty some cases so I had brass to load back up once my lead arrived. Not a terrible group considering a mixture of hot H110 and mid HS-6 loads in both 400 and 425 grains.

photo31210.jpg

So after I finished at the range mid-day, stopped by the p.o.b, and low and behold, more boolits. All plain base in 375gr, that weigh in at 392, and 400gr, that weigh in at 412, from a local caster in Anchorage. I quickly loaded up some mid-leval rounds and a few heavier (53 total) and back to the range to try them out before a longer reloading session tomorrow. Got a couple decent groups at 25 yrds. The H110 loads I need to lighten, since they clocked at at 1460 fps, bit hotter/faster than I want for a plain base boolit. All told, awesome day. Snow is melting, 143 rounds down the ol' Linebaugh, plus a bunch more down some of my favorite 45's. God I love Spring. Bring on the 20 hr days, King Salmon and bears. I'll be ready.

Both of these are 412gr plain base SWC over 14.5gr HS6.

photo31220101.jpg

photo32020102.jpg

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
Yepper, folks said it was was warmer here in Alaska yesterday that their house in Texas. Wish I could just skip the office this next week and shoot/fish instead.