feed ramp damage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SamV

Buckeye
I was cleaning my MKII yesterday and I noticed a significant chip missing at the base of the feed ramp. I can't figure out when that happened. I have had a few misfeeds lately. A couple of times two cartridges fed and jamed up and a couple of times it failed to eject and fed a new cartridge causing a jam. Maybe one of those times. I suppose when the bolt comes forward it could have slamed a extracted but not ejected fired case into the ramp when it was feeding a new cartridge. The nick is centered in the base of the curve on the ramp. It also makes the begining of the ramp razor sharp where it broke off. What should I do?

place a "dummy " round in the magazine, and with the mag 'inserted' look at the alignment of the nose of the bullet and the feed ramp itself..most likely this edge , or maybe a chip, is going to appear to be below the 'tip of the bullet..it shouldnot be an issue or problem, unless a bullet takes a ":nose dive" first, from or due to an improper magazine ,feed lip adjustment.....they goes forward, hit the ramp on the up slope and continue into the chamber...all of ths can bee seen using a 'dummy' round and working the bolt forward.........we've seen some "nasty" looking feed ramps and they stil worked just fine...helps to be "smooth & consistent......." and of the proper angle..............

SamV

Buckeye
Thanks, I will go buy a pack of dummy rounds and see how they feed. Although the ramp is small on a .22, it looks really ugly with a chip out. I have no plans on selling this gun but I would imagine that it reduces the value. I have put a other improvements in the gun and would hate to see that lost. Oh well, one step at a time. I will post results with the dummy rounds. Thanks for your reply Ruger Guy-Dan!

rooger

Single-Sixer
The bottom of my new MKIII's feed ramp has a concave shape to it and I'm virtually certain it was manufactured that way. It could be mistaken for a chip but it's not. I can send you a photo if you'd like to see it.