Federal gets into Lever gun Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
New Federal ammo developed in cooperation with Henry. Calling it "HammerDown".

Excerpt:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/01/22/shot-2020-federal-premium-hammerdown-lever-action-ammunition-line/

Federal-HammerDown-2.jpg

The HammerDown hunting ammunition line was developed in cooperation with Henry Repeating Arms. These loads have been optimized to provide maximum performance in typical lever-action rifle barrel lengths. The bonded soft point and hollow bullets have also been tuned to have a maximum expansion, weight retention and accuracy at those velocities. These cartridges are also nickel plated for utmost corrosion resistance and smooth extraction. On top of the tuned ballistics and coating, the cartridge design itself has been slightly tweaked. Particularly, in order to ensure a smoother loading via King's patent side gates, the cartridge rims are ever so slightly tapered (see the below-embedded image). It should not affect the headspace because there is still plenty of rim surface to headspace off of. However, it makes a huge difference when loading the gun and I assume when cycling the action too. I fired .30-30 Winchester HammerDown rounds at SHOT Show 2020 range day, and when loading the side gate, you can tell right away how smooth the cartridges glide into the tubular magazine.

Federal HammerDown ammunition will be available in the following calibers, bullet weight options and MSRPs (all prices are for 20 round boxes).

357 Magnum, 170 grain ($19.99)
327 Federal, 127 grain ($19.99)
44 Magnum, 270 grain ($19.99)
45 Colt, 250 grain ($19.99)
30-30 Winchester, 150 grain ($19.99)
45-70 Government, 300 grain ($38.99)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
.41 M is missing.
I noticed that also, but not surprised. .41mag isn't exactly a popular caliber, so not much profit in it compared to the others. The article did say that Federal will likely expand the line into other levergun calibers tho.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I haven't bought any factory ammunition in the last 10 years …. but, I wonder if that particular bullet is going to be offered as a hand loading component?

jd

cherokeetracker

Bearcat
That sounds good for the 357,,,, I have said the 357 belongs in a good carbine or lever rifle.
Be interesting to see the 327 in some action. We have some small hill country deer, and I have thought with the right combo of bullet weight, and bullet, and especially in a rifle, it could be quick medicine for the deer or smaller hogs.
My big question is for the 44 mag My Alaskan only liked the 240 grr fodder.
While I can enjoy heavier bullets in my bisley,,, it never happened in the carbine.
And I have been using cast in my 45 for how long?...
We already had the 3030 and the 45-70 covered too.
But like fishing lures are made to catch fishermen,,,, these might catch some hunters

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
But the cases are painted silver and they spell power-shok p-r-e-m-i-u-m now so it must be better ehh? Im sure its great ammo. Federal premium always is. But is it that much better than poer-shok ammo to justify the added cost? Doubtful. Im glad I have a pile of the stuff already but always tinker so Id try a box if I saw some on a shelf out of curiosity.

dougader

Hunter
And prices for the 327 are already up to $30.99 per 20 rounds. Wow.

And, it's not available ANYWHERE anyway. Ammo companies continue to make reloading look better all the time.