Federal 9BPLE 115 gr. +P+

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
Just read an article about this ammunition on the web. However, I didn't notice the date of the information. It was described as a proven law enforcemment load.

Any opinions of this ammo?

Any one using it or used it in their P Series Rugers?

Thanks for your time.

meanc

Single-Sixer
I've got about 8 magazines loaded with it right now.

I've had no failures at all with these through 3 Ruger P-series

Accuracy is as good as or better than most of the premium brand ammo.

If you come across any reasonably priced let me know. I've only got a box or two left. :)

timjo1955a

Bearcat
I agree 100% with meanc. Sportmans Guide ran specials on it about 5 years ago- $10 or $12/50 rounds. I'm glad I stocked up. Very good ammo.

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
I've shot lots of 9BPLE and issued it for Depts. where I served and the FTO & 'firearms guy'.

The smallest 3-shot, 50 yard group I ever fired with a handgun came from a bone-stock Beretta 92G Centurion loaded with 9BPLE. I also tested that load against Federal's full-snort .357/125/JHP, against water-filled jugs at five and fifty yards. Terminal results between these loads was, for all intents and purposes, indistinguishable.

meanc

Single-Sixer
Timjo,

Give me a holler if you find you can spare some. Just need a couple of boxes, and I'll pay a good bit more for them than you did.

timjo1955a

Bearcat
I'm sorry, meanc, I'm down to 4 boxes. I should have bought lots more. Ammoman has it listed(out of stock) at $39/box. :(

meanc

Single-Sixer
No problem, I had to ask. Most of the sites are on backorder.

wildturk

Single-Sixer
It's a good round. I use it if I carry a 9MM and it's in my house gun. It's still available here locally for $20 /50 rnd box.

benja455

Bearcat
wildturk, where are you finding this stuff for $20 a box in SW PA? I would love to know. I was only able to find the regular pressure 9BP and it was in VERY limited supply in SE PA.

With that said, I've got my Kel-Tec P11 loaded with 9BP right now (and an extra magazine too). I love it. I used to have it in the Ruger P95 too but I recently got some RA9BA Winchester Ranger Bonded 124gr +P for that.

fastexas

Bearcat
This is an old thread, but I just ordered (5/31/2011) 4 boxes of this +p+ from cheaperthandirt.com for around $18 a box of 50.......a very good price these days.

Boge

Single-Sixer
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-9mm-federal-le-115gr-p-hollow-point-ammo/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I do believe that the +p+9BPLE was the load that the Ill. State Police adopted when they went to the S&W 39 serise Autos way back when and that round has an exelent track record of one shot stops and barrier penetration and unless I'm mistaken for a long thim Federal classed it as a Law Enforcement only load for a long time .When I had my Breatta 92FS you couldn't get it aroung here or thats what I would have carried in it ,instead i went with the Spreer 124gr+P gold dot which as Sharge MO said on 1 gal,milk jugs at 25 yards you couldn't tell the diffrence between that load and Fed .125 gr SJHP's out of a 4" M-686 both were spectular ,but I bet the +P+9BPLE out of that 5" bbl om the Beratta would have been better .
Lou

tovisitor98

Bearcat
8 boxes of ammo cost $15.76 to ship, from Texas to NY state. I would guess they don't mark-up the shipping charges as that seemed reasonable to me. I saved about $2-3 per box compared to around here and saved 8% sales tax.

Boge

Single-Sixer
cruzerlou said:
I do believe that the +p+9BPLE was the load that the Ill. State Police adopted when they went to the S&W 39 serise...Lou

It was. However, the ISP soon switched to the Win. 9mm 115 gr. +p+ as the Federal BPLE could not consistently meet the 1300 fps requirement and Federal refused to load it hotter. They are both great rounds with proven body counts of dead perps to their credit. The Border Patrol used the BPLE for awhile as well.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Yea ,
That would be a great round in my Walther PPS 9 MM but even though it's rated for +P's they recomedn not to feed it a steady diet of them because it will acclrate ware ,so I pratice with WWB 115 FMJ's and carry Georgia Arms New Mfg.124gr+P Speer bonded unicore HP's in it .they open up to .600 of an inch in blastics gell fired from 5 yards out of a gun with a 3.2 " bbl and have low recoil and muzzle flash too .It's a monster round out of a small gun .I use this gun as my back up gun to my duty gun a 4th Gen glock g-22 and to my off duty gun a fullsized ,all steel Kimber .45 ACP.,but if I'm going for deep consealment I'll just carry the Walther , it's small enough that you can just drop it in your pants pocket and it just disapears .
Lou
Lou