Feasible? What would it do?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
I own a KP95DC. I love it. I have had some FTF and FTE over the past two years but thats not what I'm here to ask. I was just stewing over how to make my already accurate P95 more accurate, especially when rapid firing. If I were to drill the end of my barrel(have a smith do it), would it cause problems with barrel pressure. I am thinking 3 holes at 9, 12, 3, o'clock if looking at the barrel from the end. Would this act like a muzzle brake? I don't want the escaping gas to expand inside the slide. Would the slide be all the way back before the bullet, and subsequent gas pressure, reach the end of the barrel? Could this be accomplised with a stock barrel or a longer aftermarket barrel? Or is this completely absurd?

DGW1949

Hunter
The bullet is long gone before the slide retracts.
All the ported-barrel semiauto's that I've seen had matching ports in the slide.

Hope this helps.

DGW

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
Do you think if I ported the slide and barrel that this would help with muzzle flip at all? Would it do anything with bullet speed? Would it affect the flight path?

Pinecone

Blackhawk
rmansu2, If you want a barrel ported the "right" way, then send the "whole" gun in to Mag-Na-Port in Mt. Clemens, Michigan! I have seen more "home made" porting jobs done as a gunsmith for 43 + years to know that your headed for "folly" if you try it yourself! There is a lot of ballistic science involved and just "drilling" holes in your barrel will insure that shortly, you will more than likely be looking for a new barrel! The folks at Mag-Na-Port have been testing and re-testing various whole patterns with various guns and barrels for many years now and do the process with EDM's. Electronic Discharge Machining. There is no residual metal left to clean up as with drilling holes in metal. It's well worth the money and as far as this gunsmith is concerned, they are the best in the business at porting!................................Dick :idea:

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
Do you think if I ported the slide and barrel that this would help with muzzle flip at all? Would it do anything with bullet speed? Would it affect the flight path?

Pinecone

Blackhawk
rmansu2, What "porting" basically does is: (1) reduce felt recoil and (2) reduce muzzle jump (flip). How much reduction depends on the cartridge, weight of the gun, barrel length, load data, etc. etc. When Mag-Na-Port does it, it "works" as advertised according to the guns I have had done personally and customers guns when I was in business. :wink:

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
Have you had any of yours ported? Any P-series? I sent them an email to send me some pictures of some that were ported and/or striped. Hoping they will respond. Do you know of anyway to reduce the weight of a P-series without causing balance issues? Is this something Mag-Na-Port could do?

Pinecone

Blackhawk
rmansu2, I have not dealt with Mag-Na-Port recently so am not sure exactly what "other" services might be available. I'm sure they can give you a run down of all their current services. I have had a lot of revolvers and rifles Mag-Na-Ported in the past but no P-series guns. From time to time they have offered special run "custom" revolvers usually done on Ruger revolvers. I would proceed with "caution" in reducing the weight on "any" semi-auto pistol. They were engineered to operate normally with given loads and spring set-up's for a given "weight". What usually happens with significant weight reduction, you start to get excessive "battering" and premature wear on your pistol. I recommend you leave "well-enough" alone in this area!.................Dick :wink:

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the heads up. I am still awaiting a return email from Magnaport. I am hoping they can send me some pictures of some of their striping and porting options.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
Hope this works.

Magnaport sent me this picture. I think I might go for it.

Edit: Nope didn't work. How do you post a picture?

Latest posts