Favorite leather holster for vaquero black etc?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well, it's not a Vaquero, but rather a Blackhawk

BlackhawkHolsterRig.jpg

It a crossdraw rig from Levergun Leatherworks.

http://www.levergunleather.com/index.htm

I've been using it for a few years now. It's only gotten more comfortable with use.

Rainman

Blackhawk
I have to agree with what Bill said. El Paso Saddlery makes awesome holsters. They've been at it since the old days and got it down right. I have one of their black 1880's Indian Wars weak-side flap holster for my 7.5" 44-40 vaquero. Top quality and looks like an original.

Dan

Two words: Simply Rugged. :lol:

I have their Loaded Pancake which has the cartridge loops on the outside. I also bought the shoulder holster conversion for wearing outside my coat. If you don't need/want the loops you can do the Sourdough Pancake.

I had one of their first holsters and now this one and the fit and finish has improved tremendously.

LB

BearBio

Buckeye
No question:

El Paso Saddlery Threeperson. Basic, classic and proven.

Second choice: Bianchi Lawman (1L) Same reasons but not as much.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Here's a couple of mine. My #2 son made the belt, #1 son made the skinner, and the sheath and holsters (a copies of the old Tom Threepersons design) are my work.

I like a 2-1/2" belt to support the weight, and 18 loops allows me to carry enough for a trip all along the old fence line while working here on the farm.

To my way of thinking, the open top, Southwest style inherent in the Tom Threepersons holster does it all. I usually fit them tight enough to preclude the necessity of a thong for the hammer, and leave the muzzle end open for drainage of wood duff or water. I like naturally finished leather treated with only Snowproof which ages to a rich amber patina. The rig sits on my belt line with only enough hang (or drop to the holster) to allow an easy draw with whatever barrel length is on the gun. The one pictured is for a 4-5/8" Ruger .44 Special. The S&W is a 6" .44 Magnum. The light, almost pinkish, look on the S&W rig is due to the fact that I took the pic before treating it with Snowproof and in artificial light. The bulckle, by the way, is off of an offside stirrup leather from a pre-1900 McClellen cavalry saddle.

A high ride rig like this sits well without bunching up in a car or deer stand or while sitting with my back to a tree for that matter, but only with the 4-5/8" bbl. The 6+" barrel lengths will poke you in the ribs with any kind of a belt holster.
44Splwithrig.jpg
GunbeltM29Small.jpg

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
Made belt and holster years ago,copied a design from Wild Bill Holsters out of Oregon.He made new holsters and had a special process that made it look 100 (at that time,lol) years old.
DSCF3566.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
If you've never tried one, the Barantti leather ones are truly amazing in quality & comfort. It's a cross chest type,, but just ask sixshot or Zeus how they like theirs!

bigbore45colt

Hunter
I agree that El Paso Saddlery is one of the best. I also like the old George Lawrence and SD Myres holsters...if you can find them.

However, I have to agree with Tyrone that Baranti Leather (a fellow forum member by the way) is absolutely top notch. I have one of his NorthEast Hunters (chest cross draw) for my Bisley Hunter, one of his 2XCD belt cross-draw holster for my shooter Lightweight Single Six, and a replica of an SD Myres holster for a Uberti Outlaw. Mike is also building me a holster rig with his #5 holster (patterned after the old Geo. Lawrence 120 holster).

BB45C

Tankhead

Bearcat
I did some searches in this site and found Barranti. I had to inquire on their web-site (Barranti Leather) to see which I should consider. Mike Barranti e-mailed me recommending the Northwest Mountain Companion or Hank Sloan for my 4" RH for back-up while bowhunting. It's so hard cause I liked Simply Rugged's floral carving too. I want a nice one so I'm gonna get some tooling done also. It will be a tough choice. I wish I could support both right now. :cry:

1ruger

Single-Sixer
For carry in the field, I've always liked fullflap holsters.
I have couple of them and have found cross draw position to be pretty comfortable. When handgun hunting I like to carry it just in front of the left hip bone for easier access but when carrying the handgun as sidearm I position it on the hip bone so it is out of the way.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
They may be cheap to buy, but I've never had a problem with Hunter brand holsters. I like the design and they carry well. They sure are not fancy but they're way better than the cheap nylon rigs if you dont want to spring for a lot of money. Hunters are what I buy when I get more guns than I can afford expensive holsters for, or when I need to loan my brother in law a gun and holster. You all know what I'm talking about. You can't loan a brother in law a good personal gun or holster lest he do something stupid to it. :)

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
I've been using El Paso Saddlery holsters for over 20 years now. I really like their Threepersons style in either crossdraw or strong side. It's a real classic for single action revolvers that's not "old west style", but more modern (or at least modern by 1920 standards!)....

Skeeter026.jpg

chutch

Bearcat
I have an El Paso Duke Rig I like a bunch but will never pass on an opportunity to sing praises for Simply Rugged.
IMGP0490.jpg

IMGP0821.jpg

Tankhead

Bearcat
chutch":7htje9gj said:
I have an El Paso Duke Rig I like a bunch but will never pass on an opportunity to sing praises for Simply Rugged.
IMGP0490.jpg

I'll take one of those, w/ the floral carving. What's size is the gun inside the holster. Is that a Sourdough Pancake? Thanks for the pic!

chutch

Bearcat
Yes it is a Sourdough Pancake. They now offer them with carving. The gun in the pic is a USFA but it fits all my 5 1/2 " guns . Don't forget the Real Man Belt!
IMGP0495.jpg

Latest posts