Favorite .44 Special reloading dies?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
I'll be buying a set of .44 dies in the near future to keep my .44 sp Bisley going.

What are you favorite .44 dies and why? I use Hornady for my .38/.357 and .45LC but since I am new to the .44 Special I wanted to see if any of you have words of wisdom for me.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I use a lot of RCBS dies,, and I also use Dillon dies in my Dillon presses. Hornady makes excellent dies as well. I can't see you going wrong with any quality ones.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have most of the major brands of reloading dies. I have two Dillon 550B's, a Lee Classic Cast Turret press, and an RCBS Rockchucker.

The Dillon dies are my favorites but they are pricey. The Lees are the best value and work just fine.

The Dillons have some nice touches that really improve them for progressive presses (sizing die has a slightly flared opening to help eliminate crushed cases and you can dissemble the dies for cleaning without messing with their adjustments by means of snap rings).

FWIW
Dale53

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
I like the Lee carbide four die set with the extra crimp die. Make sure you buy a carbide set so you don't need to worry about lube.

I normally use the Lee four die sets myself for handguns. And I have two sets in 44. One in .44 Magnum. One in .44 Magnum/Special which I leave adjusted to .44 Special.

When I was frustrated with the lack of .44 Special brass but had some new guns I wanted to load for, I decided to go the .44 Russian route. Midway had that brass but not the Special. I looked around ordered the RCBS Cowboy dies. When they came, I was very, very impressed. They have a special surface coating that makes them a different color. They just reek of quality. They adjust to .44 Russian or .44 Special and you could team them up with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Would probably be the "best" set you could use!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=436077

Gregg

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I'm usually a RCBS dies guy, and have a few Hornady's and Redding's, but I got a set of Lee carbide dies for 44 Special so I didn't have to reset my 44 Mag ones all the time. I don't know if is the guns, specific load or the dies, but I am getting some truly great accuracy from loads produced on that Lee die set.

ra

Single-Sixer
I have dies from RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Lee and they all are good.
My 44 dies are Lee carbide and they are excellent, I would not hesitate to buy more.

ra

Pal Val

Buckeye
My .44 dies are Hornady, and I'm happy with how they work. My son made me spacers for the .44 Mag and the .357, so I can load .44 Spec. and .38 Spec. without having to reset them. Nifty trick. He got the dimensions from a reloading manual.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I ALWAYS start with a Lyman 4-die Deluxe set, then add a LEE carbide set, then add either a Redding Profile Crimp die, or a LEE Carbide Factory Crimp die.
Then maybe I add some others......

I have Hornady and Dillon and RCBS dies, too, but only use them for very specific tasks.

Avidreader

Bearcat
I almost ALWAYS go with RCBS ANYTHING,they stand behind all they"re products and will fix or replace any defective purchases, then as time allows I get a Redding Profile Crimp Die, if it's for revolvers, taper crimp if it's for an auto.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I only use RCBS dies, the warranty is the main reason. I like their products and the die boxes stack well as opposed to Lees cylinders. The price is lower than Redding, Dillon, and Hornady too.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Everyone knows that Redding Titanium Carbide dies, with a Lee Factory Crimp Die to finish off your reloads, is the absolute best, bar none! :D

EarlFH

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I have dies from Lee, Lyman, Hornady, and RCBS. They all work well, but I generally buy Lee dies if they are available in the chambering I'm looking for.

So it is with my 44 Special........Lee carbide dies. I can't imagine how another set of dies could work any better than these.