Fanner 50

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fez

Bearcat
When I was a kid I had a toy gun called the Fanner 50.It's notable feature was being able to fan the hammer with your free hand.For the fun of it if I can pick up a single six can you fan the hammer? I know it is a showoff move and not good for accuracy but,hey, Roy Rogers did it.Just curious.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
That puts incredible stresses on internal parts, and beats the snot out of moving parts, plus wastes ammo. There are people who mod Rugers for fast draw, which operates the first round at about fanning speed, but they are far from stock revolvers. You would just beat an innocent revolver that never did anything wrong to you.

fez

Bearcat
Thanks for the heads up.It was something out of the ordinary that's why I wanted to inquire first.By the way those toy Fanners are going for around 350 if it is complete sets.Man,I wish I would have kept some of that old "stuff" I had back then.Who knew?

For what it's worth. Joe Bowman's Rugers were stock on the inside, except for a VERY SMOOTH ACTION. In his fast draw fanning routine he used 3 screw 357s that were made into 45 Colt and had higher hammers. Never hurt them a bit.
The rear sight on a Single Six will bit ya when ya fan it :oops: :oops:
Don't ask how I know.
Jim

fez

Bearcat
Isn't it ironic that many of us older guys grew up with toy guns and there was never any school shootings or the craziness like today.It has gotten worse,for some reason,since they tightened control on toy guns etc.I do not think that toys are the problem.It is the violence in tv,movies and these very violent video games the kids play imho.Also no parent supervision.The anti gunners do not want to face the fact that it is problems in society that is the real culprit.If they did face it it is a reflection on them.Sorry to ramble.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
fez":1vyf7d4p said:
Isn't it ironic that many of us older guys grew up with toy guns and there was never any school shootings or the craziness like today.It has gotten worse,for some reason,since they tightened control on toy guns etc.I do not think that toys are the problem.It is the violence in tv,movies and these very violent video games the kids play imho.Also no parent supervision.The anti gunners do not want to face the fact that it is problems in society that is the real culprit.If they did face it it is a reflection on them.Sorry to ramble.
I agree. I remember being "armed" with all kinds of neat toys as a youngster. Johnny 7 "OMA", Spittin' image Daisy, Mattel M-16 Marauder etc. Boys were forever slinking around in the woods like a bunch of Commanches hoping to ambush each other. Most all had a .22 at home and a pocketknife was boyhood "standard equipment". NOW look where we are. Heck even the "cartoons" are disgusting, never mind all the realistic gore and sex kids are bombarded with constantly on TV, movies and "vidiot" games. Heaven forbid if your kid accidently carries a .22 cartridge or a penknife to school in his pocket because mom forgot to check him for such evil contraband. Failed liberal policy is rampant all over our once great nation and now we must endure the worst yet with this sap in the whitehouse and his willing chronies. Makes you wonder doesn't it? Anyway, I'm rambling too, back to Ruger revolvers....sigh, Dennis :cry:

Juan Largo

Bearcat
I had a couple of Fanner 50s as a kid. I sure wish I had kept them.
I also got to meet Joe Bowman 30 years ago--the man was incredible.
He would fire three single action shots so quickly you only "heard" one report.

Flash

Buckeye
When I was a kid, I received a toy machine gun for Christmas. Belt fed, tripod and two part ammunition that actually allowed the bullet to be fired out the barrel. It only went about 20 feet but it still was fun. We played Machale's Navy for what seemed like twenty summers. I too owned a Mattel Fanner 50 and with it played Cowboys and Indians, Army, etc. The birds were our Japanese fighters and never once did we get confused with actually wanting to hurt someone. Kids today receive way too much information about killing, how to do it, how to possibly get away with it and what is reason enough to do it. As a child, I never knew of any killing other than the war time enemies, which were 3,000 miles away or the Indians, which were long gone. Now, the enemy in games could be the school bully, the martial artist or the weak, nerdy guy in hometown USA and the game is won by killing them. Our children are taught to be killers before they reach puberty and we need to ban firearms? WE NEED TO BAN THE DAMN VIDEO GAMES!!!!!

fez

Bearcat
When I was a kid sometimes I would be the good guy and sometimes the bad guy.When I was the bad guy I did not suddenly want to rob a bank for real.It was fantasy.I think kids today get fantasy and realty mixed up and I think it relates to those video games.I don't hear the politcos screaming for a banning of these videos.It is more like a whimper.And don't forget the internet.Again some parental oversight is in order.If I stepped out of line I caught it good from my father(mostly verbal).Today your kid will sue you and you will pay for it.It's nuts.But the lawyers like it.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
fez":1cjagkid said:
When I was a kid sometimes I would be the good guy and sometimes the bad guy.
Fez, I think this is a really good point. I remember there was a good guy and a bad guy and they behaved that way. The old movies, westerns or even Winnie the Pooh had good guys (and remember Christopher Robin always carried his gun--the original stories, not the new cartoons). Star Wars with all of the blasting that goes on, still has a powerful underlying theme of right vs wrong.

One of our relatives (happens to be particularly anti-gun) recently let us borrow a new "kids" animated movie they thought was great for our youngest. In one of the first scenes, one of the "good guys" indiscriminately shoots anything that moves, obviously just to add some action to the movie, but without much thought. My four year old even reacted wondering why he was doing that if he was a good guy.

Sorry to get side tracked. I used to have an old all steel cap gun that could be fanned. Haven't been able to find one like it in years!

ltbarber

Bearcat
Using cowboy loads,I slow fan my Vaquero,and can hit with reasonable accuracy. And it's a heck of a lot of fun!! I don't do it all the time,though. A good hollywood example of slow fanning is the end of the epic gunfight in the movie MY DARLING CLEMENTINE. Guess I spend too much time watching John Ford westerns 8)

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I remember a fast draw showman, in B Western garb, putting on a fastdraw demonstration at a local indoor shoping mall. I was very young (under four years old, 1972 or 3?), but I remember gun safety was a big part of his show. He was an older gentleman, maybe even a B Movie star. I can still see those Peacemakers shine!

I also rembember pickup gun racks having guns in them at public schools? But no school shootings?

Now it's vice versa?