"Fake" "Forged" Ruger letters ? Is this real ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
On the letters, I wonder if somebody misunderstood what was said at Tulsa, because I've never heard of somebody giving letters outside of the factory, besides when the RCA was doing them. And if somebody is doing that, it wouldn't take too long for our hobby to disown that person to Ruger collecting.
Chet15

Nope! No misunderstanding. Somebody would be me! I know what I heard as I asked where, who, how, and was told they were "all over". I told them I would like to know so that I can tell people in the Ruger world that I know. Neither of them knew of RENE, and informed them with a picture of the small thick manual. Supposedly, they will subscribe.
Now, perhaps there is a misunderstanding in what I am saying. No one is giving letters outside of the factory as far as "filled out" letters go. What they told me is people are selling the blank letters and then all that is necessary is the filling in of the information to make your "lettered" Ruger appear legit.
Like you said, if someone is actually offering those, it shouldn't take long for the word to get around. But, up to now, I have not heard of anyone confirming it as true except those two fellows at the show. Hopefully, it was just a bunch of smoke, but just in case, the word is out here now to at least think about it. IF it can be confirmed that these blank letters are actually out there, I would like to think it would show up on this forum fairly quickly.

The .45 Win. Mag. was introduced by Winchester in 1979. So somebody has added a cylinder to your gun.
Chet15

Yep, again. Tell me something I don't know 😜 I know the 3-diget OM 45 didn't come as anything but a 45 Colt. Got a letter to confirm 45 Colt, but cannot confirm anything on the other two cylinders. Both cylinders were added. Both sure as heck look just like every other OM 45 cylinder that I have as far as size and looks, etc. All three have the last three digits of the s/n on them in the same type of script as the originals I have. So no matter who actually did them, they look original and good. Overall on this one, it don't matter!!! It is in very good condition, but is also excellent to feel and shoot!!!

Buddy, by "blank letters" are you saying that someone was just making blank Ruger letterhead stationery available?

That actually wouldn't surprise me too much . . . not hard to do if you had a contact within the company.

hittman

Staff member
This is the last place scammers would bring fake factory letters.
Too much knowledge here, too many resources, too much history known, too many contacts.

Two yokels scurrying around a gun show blowing their horns … well …. :poop:

Pretty easy this day and age to copy and paste logo's and create "factory letterhead".

Yep. And as hittman points out, these days you can create the entire thing on a computer from blank paper.

Adding the nice gold seal to "late model" letters might be a bit of a challenge.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Well you will have to show me an example to prove it. Could be or Maybe or its possible don't mean squat!!
Having your RENE Reference book and others with you at a gun show would help educate those who are disputing your info.
JMHO!

yes, in all these years and thousands of gun shows, as well as national NRA conventions, I have yet to SEE or hear of a "fake" Ruger letter??? and as for any particular cylinder matching??? hate to tell you but our shop, and my gunsmith Walt as well as me, have matched up and redone MORE cylinders, parts and WHOLE guns than I could ever try to imagine, since the late 1960's?? our first "shop",,Cleveland Bluing Co.we refinished guns for the local police departments to boot............just recently sold an old model 45 Blackhawk for the late Dave S., 'cherokee' here on the forum, and it had a 45 Win Mag cylinder that Andy Horvath, Diagonal Gun shop built for Dave and it was "perfect"....and YES , we even stamped, marked the last digits of ANY Ruger gun we worked on, and on Colts we hand stamped the numbers, speaking of Colts my friend and fellow smith Dave Lanara does "museum quality" work on Colt Single actions....GOOD smiths and shops are out there doing ALL kinds of restorations and customizations needed.........I am the 'last'one standing from the first shop and been retired now since 2002, and see and have worked with some of the best....so when you "see" or hear of something and its not normal for the books, stories, and Ruger lore,,,,, one never may know,,,buy the GUN, NOT the "story"
caveat emptor baby..........:cool::rolleyes:;)