Fajen stock and heavy target barell for 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Sportsmans Warehouse in Portland, OR has these on sale for $199.99.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/fajen/catalog.asp?product=ruger-10/22-wood-stock-barrel-combo-coffee

Thought I would give anyone who might be interested a heads up.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I picked one up but thought I would ask before I made the change. :wink:

Thanks for any information.

DM

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I'd be kinda leary about the quality of the barrel myself seeing what the combo price is.

wwb

Hunter
BlkHawk73 said:
I'd be kinda leary about the quality of the barrel myself seeing what the combo price is.

Not me... a friend of my son had an A&B barrel on a 10/22, and it shot very well. So, when my son built a tack-driver, he took a chance and got an A&B barrel from Midway. It outshot my factory target model, so I sold the factory target model and built one with the same barrel from Midway.

You need a calm day to do it, since those little 40 grain bullets get pushed around pretty easy, but I shoot 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

wwb

Hunter
Does the "con" actually have any experience with an A&B barrel, or is it a case of "It costs less than a Volquartsen, therefore it's no good."

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Double Maduro said:
OK, one pro and one con. Some of the rest of you must have some experience with this barrell. :lol:

DM

I have an A&B on my 10-22, but I bought maybe 10 years ago when the combo package from Midway (with a Hogue "overmolded" stock) was about $99. With bulk ammo it will shoot well, with expensive ammo it shoots very well (<0.5 inches at 50 Y).

This is with a Tasco 3X9X32 rimfire scope.

Look at reviews of Adams and Bennet products on Rimfirecentral.com. Lots of folks have them.

captainkirk

BlkHawk73

Hunter
wwb said:
Does the "con" actually have any experience with an A&B barrel, or is it a case of "It costs less than a Volquartsen, therefore it's no good."

Well, I didn't realize it was an A&B barrel for starters and I don't believe my response was actually a "don't get it". Regardless, I DO have experience with their stuff thank you. Even more with those that make them for A&B to put their name on. They are good. Not the match level stuff but more than good enough for informal competition and personal range fun. Also, just to clarify your assumption, I'm not one of the "gotta be VQ" folks either. With 17 builds complete, 3 in various stages of completion and at least 2 more planned, you won't find any of their barrels here. can go with better or as good for much less money by not having to pay for a brand name.
I will add that as mentioned in the ad, you might experience issues with extraction of unfired cartridges and sometimes fired cases if you're using the cheap/bulk ammo. Then again, if one's to want the better performance, I'd hope they'd go with GOOD ammo anyways but that's seldom the case.

wwb

Hunter
BlkHawk73 said:
I will add that as mentioned in the ad, you might experience issues with extraction of unfired cartridges and sometimes fired cases if you're using the cheap/bulk ammo. Then again, if one's to want the better performance, I'd hope they'd go with GOOD ammo anyways but that's seldom the case.

You will encounter that with any barrel that has a match chamber.... even a Bentz chamber with some ammo. Replacing the extractor with a VQ (there's that name again) will cure it..... or, if you can handle a jeweler's file without causing personal injury, you can tune up the stock extractor and save ten bucks.

I would add to the OP.... you need a trigger to really take advantage of the new stock and barrel. If you're uncomfortable doing a trigger job yourself, you can send your trigger ass'y to Hornet and they'll do a bang-up job for about $70.... 2-1/2 lb pull, crisp, overtravel and take-up adjusted to a whisker. Or, just buy one of their assemblies outright - several to choose from. Easily the most bang for the buck in 10/22 triggers.

http://5003.webpossystem.com/bin/category.asp?category=10

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Yes, a trigger is a must. It's not just a Part A and Part B = tack driver. It's a combination of all the components working together. Even when all the components are together there's tweaking with pressure points and ammo selection.
personally, I'm not a fan of the Hornet stuff as it's basically just reworked factory assemblies. For the same $, maybe a bit more I'll go with a Kidd kit. Have had some reworked by some of the more respected and recommended 10/22 'smiths and while excellent results, I now prefer the Kidd kit unless going with one of the better complete assemblies (Jard, Kidd)
Also in this mix...GOOD optics.