Fair pricing question?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Have a Standard pistol - it has the 6" (c) barrel, 10- series puts it approx 1971 per the website. It is better than 95% and possibly unused. Perfect walnut black eagle grips and very very good red box. 1 mag orig. manual, papers, etc. Has the original price sticker of $47.50 on the box...
Almost hate to ask these questions but... What is a current pricing estimate fer this pkg? 8)

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
The 2015 price list that just came last week from Red Eagle News Exchange (chet15) shows the gun is worth $265. You might get a bit more on GB. I paid 371.20 for one NIB but it was 100% perfect. The only thing missing was the cardboard shipping sleeve. Remember, RENE shows AVERAGE PRICES paid by collectors.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Huh. So this gun has actually gone DOWN in value - a lot! - since it sold (retail) brand new. Who'da thunk?
I'll probably keep it then. As-new 45-yr old guns are getting harder to come by these days!

Question: Does RENE survey only RENE members? Do they use active (solicited) or passive (volunteered) information?

radicalrod

Hunter
OK how is $47.50 less than $265 ????

The problem is RUGER made a couple MILLION 22 autos....

Just the way it is...not a lot of collector interest in the AUTOS....JMO...RR

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Rod nailed it. Buyers, not sellers, determine the real price.

;)

Pretty deep.
Just asking those who might know...

RR - $48 in 1970 is around $294 today...

- I figured around 400. Shooters and beaters down to @260-290 in my travels.

radicalrod

Hunter
Well I will be the first to defend your thinking BUT the real world says that it is a tough sell at $400...

The big question is would you pay $400 for one :?: :?: :?: RR

Ruger has new autos for sale everyday for less.....this is part of the problem....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=515836657

mohavesam

Hawkeye
- Not to drift too far from the OT, but I don't think RCA-type collectors are buying many Mk III guns? And probably don't place a premium on the white cardboard boxes?
I may be mistaken.

Thanks oldrugerman, this one is also perfect IMO but is missing the shipper sleeve. Thankfully the red box has no trashy inventory stickers or marks, save for the small original price sticker.

If anyone has a perfect 6" Standard unfired since 1971 in a likewise perfect box, for under $400-350, I'd appreciate a heads-up. ;)

Indeed, all the little .22 pistols seem to lack popular collector appeal.

That said, I would not be the least bit surprised that there are a few cagey folks secretly gathering in good examples of all the many variations at what are now bargain prices.

It has happened before.

;)

radicalrod

Hunter
mohavesam said:
- Not to drift too far from the OT, but I don't think RCA-type collectors are buying many Mk III guns? And probably don't place a premium on the white cardboard boxes?
I may be mistaken.

Thanks oldrugerman, this one is also perfect IMO but is missing the shipper sleeve. Thankfully the red box has no trashy inventory stickers or marks, save for the small original price sticker.

If anyone has a perfect 6" Standard unfired since 1971 in a likewise perfect box, for under $400-350, I'd appreciate a heads-up. ;)

Well I bought a few MKIII's when they came out and have them stashed away...of course I may not be the RCA type of guy you are talking about :roll: :roll: :roll:

You seem to want someone to agree with you so you win....your gun is worth well over $450....to the only person that matters....YOU.....I do have a NIB 6" RST 11-62898 with no shipper that wasn't shipped from the factory until 7/08 but is a 1972 manufactured pistol....it belonged to one of the board members who never took any of the guns given to him home and then sold them all in 08.....they were picked up at the factory so that is their actual ship date....kinda KOOL...I got it from a CRAZY POTATO FARMER :lol: :lol: :lol:

here is a few pics of an RST4 I bought for $400 ....it is a sweet package....complete with box and shipper which also has an REA shipping label.....

Well I am really on "YOUR SIDE" I think the AUTO's are greatly under valued but that doesn't mean I can do anything about it....except buy nice ones CHEAP and hope someday people come to their senses....I have mentioned many times my disbelief at the lack of respect the MIGHTY RED EAGLE is given buy RUGER people in general not just collectors....I picked up a 06xx RE in Tulsa last fall for $50 in a deal with a Colt DB....the guy MADE ME take the RUGER to get the Diamondback.....I kept the RUGER and SOLD the Diamondback....RR

winchester348

Single-Sixer
I had a fellow bring one in to the shop similar to yours except with the target sights. Box was immaculate with paper work. He wanted a Crimson Laser grip installed. Unfortunately the grip screws on the early guns don't line up with the current ones. I told him he could trade in his gun on a brand new MKIII in similar configuration. He declined. I could already see that one sitting in my safe. I would have gladly given him well over $265 in trade towards the new one. Like other stated, I don't know where you can find them for $265 but please give me directions there. They probably sell Pythons for $500 as well.

well the "reality" of it is in fact MOST buyers and sellers who do this on a regular basis, go by the 'blue book' or what market prices they see at any given gunshop or gun show, and the gun in question, as I have seen them and see them often, is in the, is in the upper $275 to a little over the $325 range, , they ask on the higher side but actually sell, (when they do finally sell ) below the $300 mark...gotta be Mint" (not 95 %) and have the entire package, box,papers, as well as the shipper, and I got $350 ,,,,ONE time this past gun show season.........
the vast majority of buyers and sellers that do actually go by and use the blue book take the pricing to heart, and I KNOW as a former shop owner, all the shops I know, buy at the 60% level of the blue book, nature of economics. the vast majority of Ruger owners, buyers, sellers, and shooter have NO clue as to the "RCA" or the ROCS" or the "RENE", they are NOT collectors and we see them "used" come in the door for $200 and less..I've bought at least 4 standard autos in the past year, come in the show, and walk around and they were under $200 and they made it all the way over to me or my dealer friend ,Bill, and we bought them, from time to time.
As the 'radical One ' points out above, there is NOT a whole lots of interest in the 22 semi autos, and check out the pricing in the blue book for the MK IIs ( standard autos) it is even LOWER in book value............
Any seller can ask whatever they want to, ,heck its yours ( their) gun...if it is NICE, and "wanted" it will sell itself.................if it doesn;t and just "sits around", and much like any of the gun sell sights, gets relisted over and over and over.............. you'll know why. 8) :roll: :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with RR & rugerguy here. In todays society,,, not as many fixed sighted guns sell as do the adjustable sighted ones.
And I share RR's thoughts on how the gun that put Bill Ruger on the map,,, the lowly 22 semi isn't as appreciated by collectors & all compared to other guns. I was mighty proud the day I got my first Red Eagle Standard. (I'm still looking for a salt cod box though,,,! And no RR, I don't need to see another picture of yours either! :D)
In my area, it doesn't seem to matter if it's an early or later Standard of either barrel length,,, we can almost never sell one for more than $300, unless it's a Red Eagle. And, even as RR has said,, that rule has plenty of exceptions.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Well... I just sold the OT gun for $440 and the buyer looked it over well, said it was unfired since leaving the factory. He liked the sales receipt apparently as it had a recognize-able name on it? I "listed" it with 3-4 gun shops in the Phoenix area where one might find "collections" of old but fine guns, and one called with a buyer, who drove the two hours up the mountain to get it. I also sold him a Browning Challenger while he was here :)

Had a nice visit, as he also knew something about Ruger engineering vs production floor realities.

radicalrod

Hunter
Well you proved the XPURTS wrong....maybe we need to start asking more...

or have you be our BROKER :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I seem to use the BUY HIGH SELL LOW approach...it has worked well for me for YEARS....RR

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I am no expert! But everyone gets lucky once in awhile. Being honest about my vision, I have little use for fixed sights these days, so those guns go first.
As a side note, my hands have always shot the Colt Woodsman series well, yet I have never been able to instinctively point a Ruger 22, despite a similar grip angle. When the 22/45 came along I jumped, and much prefer those pistols.