Fail

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Colt Government Models - Three of mine have Lost their plunger tubes. They will function but the Safety will not stay on. Two others went full auto with bad sears. Two broken extractors.

Ruger Security Six Liberty Model - Broken Firing Pin

S&W 39-2 - Magazine release separated (two-piece press fit) Still functionaed as a single shot (mag safety was removed).

Remington Model 51 - Breech Block fell apart like a crushed ice cube

Ruger MK II - Broken Extractor but it still functioned.

If you shoot enough something is going to break.
ALWAYS HAVE A SPARE.

Best Regards,
ADP3

CraigJS

Bearcat
In the 70's a Colt Trooper MkIII 6" .357 new. The third time out when pulling the hammer back to fire single action, the hammer would fall without a trigger pull. What a surprise that was.. Fixed under warranty at a Colt authorized gun shop.

FelixD

Bearcat
Here's my list.
Broken extractor 1911 Colt, ejector fell out on disassembly
Broken slide stop CZ75
Broken mainspring Perazzi TM1
Broken hammer Perazzi TM1
Broken gas piston M1 Carbine
Broken striker S&W Sigma
Broken extractor FN 1900
Broken firing pin 1891 Mauser
Broken hammer AYA No2
Bulged barrel S&W 457
Bent ejector rod S&W M36
Out of battery discharge M1 Rifle. destroyed the trigger group
High Standard HD Military went full auto
Witnessed a Remingtom 1100 blow up - literally blow up
Witnessed a Mossberg 500 blow up - same
Witnessed a barrel seperation on a S&W M66

welder

Buckeye
My little list:

Kahr 40 Broken slide stop and pin. Broke on the 36th. rd when new
NEF Handi Rifle Broken transfer bar after several thousand rounds of .357
Phoenix arms Broken firing pin

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I have had a couple flat springs on the trigger break on Colt cap and ball revolvers, and the slide release on a Colt 1911 Series 70 broke off.

The ejector on an Angle Eject Winchester 94 in .44 mag. broke. Called Winchester and they sent a new ejector and spring.

Doxadude

Bearcat
I've had a transfer bar break in a NM blackhawk. Easy fix though. Keep a spare in my shooting bag now.

A Bernadelli SxS that would fire both barrels when you only pulled one trigger. Something with the sear engagement and the recoil causing it to slip causing the second barrel to fire.

Catman

Bearcat
Just out of high school my buddy and I did a lot of pheasent hunting. He would borrow his grandfathers Remingtom OU 12ga with a single trigger. Ever so often I would here a louder than normal report--- yep both barrels would go off :lol: Fun to watch him try to not flinch when the next bird kicked up. :twisted: :twisted:

dave

Bearcat
I saw a broken trigger spring with a security six.
( Gun worked, but trigger had to be pushed forwards.
And a slide crack with a SIG 220 ( 9 mm )
( It was a used gun and nobody knew its history.
But on 226/228 s the slides are stronger - all folded slides )

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Jeepnik":2gmb1uwj said:
And, they never had to be recalled. Oh well, that's progress I guess.
Never were recalled is different from never having anything to be recalled about. In the past defects were ignored or fixed individually as they occured, not subject to major recalls mandated by laws or insurance liability as they are today.

There were plenty of defects and poor designs in the past, it was just that you never read about them in the papers.

The SR9 recall Ruger went through would have NEVER happened years ago.

maxpress

Buckeye
fired 2 bullets in a row out of a sbh taht didnt have enough powder to make it out. both lead bullets stacked up in the cylinder gap and i had to go down the bore with an old bullet puller to get them out. lucky i didnt blow my arse up.

s4s4u

Hunter
Auto Ordinance 45 ACP went full auto and then jammed.

Funny, mine just did that the other day. A burst of three every few squeezes, first time out with it. Parts on the way.

Other than that, just the 22/45 stovepiping every once in a while.

bub

Single-Sixer
While not a pistol, I did have an M1 Garand go full-auto on me one time. I had just bought it (at Woolworth's in the local mall; ah, those were the days!), cleaned it, lubed it and took it to the range. Stuffed in a loaded 8rd en-bloc and fired 3 rds. On the 4th rd, it went full auto, fired the remaining 5 rds, the clip ejected, then the trigger group fell out onto the muddy ground. The gunsmith I took it to said that he thought that it must have still had some hardened cosmo in the trigger group, no faults that he could find. Shot it quite a bit more after that with no problems. Round 4 hit the target, rds 5-8 went off into the wild blue yonder. Full auto with .30-06 out of a 9 lb gun IS NOT FUN!!!!

Ohio Rusty

Bearcat
Many years ago I had a Taurus 38 special that looked like a clone of the 4 inch S&W model 10's, standard police revolver. I was a security guard at the time an needed a pistol. On the 3rd cylinder of standard pressure 38 round nose bullets, the frame on the left side cracked open from the base of the hammer opening on top all the way down to the trigger opening at the bottom.

Instantly, I realized that 'T' stood for both Taurus and Trash ... I took the gun backk to the dealer, and that was the last Taurus I ever wanted to own.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Rodfac

Blackhawk
A new shooter fired six shots through a S&W M-15...the first one was a squib. All six stayed in the barrel with no bulging!

A 9mm reload with an over charge blew out the web portion of the case in a Combat Commander 9mm Colt. Cracked the grips and stung like h--l but no other damage to shooter or gun.

A .45 Colt Gov't model with a squib load bulged the barrel while doing double taps in practice. It took a gunsmith to remove the barrel but the gun still shoots sub 2" gps at 25 yds. (#2 son's gun)

Front sight fell off a Combat Commander in .38 Super. Restaked and it's fine now.

.45 Gov't Model 1911 went full auto on the 2nd shot on a military range. The last shot went up and behind the shooter who managed to keep the gun in his hand while it emptied. (Bad disconnecter...a good follow through check of the piece would have caught this. A regular habit for me now. )

Various cylinder tie-ups from excessive lead on the forcing cone, cylinder face etc., also from inadequately crimped bullets that drifted fwd in recoil. A similar cylinder tie up with a S&W with a loose cylinder retaining screw.

Rear sight windage screws falling out on Rugers....fingernail polish or lock tite holds all mine now after I've established a good windage zero for "THE LOAD".

HTH's Rodfac

When I first got my SP101 it would shoot about a box and then seize the cylinder so it wouldn't turn. It was too tight at the forcing cone and once I clearanced it a few thousands it has worked fine. I've never had a gun actually 'break'.