Fail to eject SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

casualSR9owner

Bearcat
I am new to hand guns. I just bought my SR9 a few days ago and went shooting today with a friend. I put 70 - 115gr FMJ brass rounds through it and it failed to eject a total of 3 times. This is my first hand gun and everything I read says the SR9 will shoot anything. Yes, it was cheap ammo from the gun store (actually 2 different brands of cheap ammo of the same type/style), but it was the only ammo available in my area at the time. Does anyone have any ideas?

All I have done to the gun is a basic field strip and oiled the slide rails. Thank you for any help.

casualSR9owner

Bearcat
So nothing to worry about? I have shot guns my whole life, just not hand guns. I didn't feel that I was limp wristing, but maybe I was. There is slim chance it is the cheap ammo? Should I have fully cleaned my gun before firing? Is a basic field strip, clean barrel, lube barrel/slide good enough for new guns?

Jim Puke

Hunter
Certainly, it won't hurt to fully clean it and it may help. I would put some more rounds through it before I looked for a problem. And, it should feed about any kind of ammo that you have on hand.

eddymacd

Bearcat
just got a new Rugar sr9c on sat. took it home field stripped and cleaned the fire pin then oiled and put back together. went to range and out of 100 rounds i had 3 or 4 that did not eject. I had one where i took the Mag out and then racked the slid but the shellfell through where the mag would have been if nit removed

eddie

Rei40c

Blackhawk
It's not the way your holding the gun and its not limp wristing. The Sr's functioning normally can do this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFHIRGvCyFA

I tried it myself, not at the range of course with my sr40c. If the gun is functioning normally its very difficult to get it to FTE, I haven't been able to do it.

I had one where i took the Mag out and then racked the slid but the shellfell through where the mag would have been if nit removed

This is was probably a double feed. What ammo where you shooting in type and grains?
I'd switch ammo take it out again for another 150 rounds. If the problems still there send it back to Ruger to have a look would be my only advice.

exavid

Hunter
Some causes of failure to eject can be a bad/dirty ejector claw, weak ammo, limp wristing, dirty action and a new action that is a bit rough. The last one shows up often and the answer to that is to fire it enough to break it in. To conserve ammo just operating the slide a couple hundred times by hand can help smooth things up in the action. A different brand of ammo might help until the gun is worn in.

Latest posts