"Fail Safe"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
For those of you who didn't notice, Dom Deluise is in this movie in a small role as a repair technician. Not a comedic role at all.

turd

Buckeye
This reads pretty much like a political post, I wonder if it should be moved? As a long-time Independent, I have had little faith through the last 6 or so administrations that any of them could figure out how to run the one pump gas station. However, we seem to still be the leaders of the free world. My prayers are that we continue to hold that position. No matter who is currently in power, there seem to be many who jump on the bandwagon and criticize them before any of their policies have a chance to actually work. That's the major current difficulty of our democratic system - the temporary position of leadership and the frenetic NEED of the populace to see instant results.

vito

Hunter
turd said:
This reads pretty much like a political post, I wonder if it should be moved? As a long-time Independent, I have had little faith through the last 6 or so administrations that any of them could figure out how to run the one pump gas station. However, we seem to still be the leaders of the free world. My prayers are that we continue to hold that position. No matter who is currently in power, there seem to be many who jump on the bandwagon and criticize them before any of their policies have a chance to actually work. That's the major current difficulty of our democratic system - the temporary position of leadership and the frenetic NEED of the populace to see instant results.

I think you sell the People short, or you just want to ignore reality. Obama wasted trillions and our economy was moribund, and barely improving. Our international position was weak, with Obama apologizing to the entire world for the "evil" done by America (tell that to the families of G.I.'s buried all over the world who fought to free Europe and Asia). Trump came in and we did see almost immediate improvement in America, both economically and on the world stage. Now Biden has thrown those successes down the toilet in his all too typical "progressive" ineptness in every aspect of governing.

But what this has to do with "Fail Safe" as a frightening possible future eludes me.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Both movies are period pieces now, for those of us who were around then, and remember the Cold War, they both captured aspects of what was very real for us. The Cuban Missile Crisis, anyone ? The Berlin Wall.

Igor

Single-Sixer
blackhawknj said:
Both movies are period pieces now, for those of us who were around then, and remember the Cold War, they both captured aspects of what was very real for us. The Cuban Missile Crisis, anyone ? The Berlin Wall.

They were movies.......entertainment.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Igor said:
blackhawknj said:

They were movies.......entertainment.

Yep. That's what was offered up by Hollywood before the Zombie Apocalypse made an appearance. :lol: Those along with a SciFi novel called "On the Beach", published in '57, and a movie by the same name in '59. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzEWpKKOZs

Danjet500

Buckeye
Another good Cold War drama from the early 60s that is worth a look is "Seven Days in May". Kind of relevant to today's "insurrection".

Snake45

Hawkeye
Danjet500 said:
Another good Cold War drama from the early 60s that is worth a look is "Seven Days in May". Kind of relevant to today's "insurrection".
My folks took me to see that at a drive-in when it was new. Of course I had no idea of what was going on so I ate my popcorn and drank my Nehi and fell asleep in the back seat. :lol:

vito

Hunter
Some people in our country actually seem to worry about the possibility of a military led coup. But Obama’s efforts to ensure that “woke” progressives are in the senior leadership positions, a “Seven Days in May” type situation can never arise. generals that publicly state that they were prepared to warn our enemies about any military action that a non-progressive President might order, are no threat to the Left.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
The people who make it to the top in today's military do so by making a career out of their own careers, they don't inspire that sort of "follow me/come what may/do or die" loyalty necessary. And the planning would be beyond them.

Latest posts