"Fail Safe"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
I started re-watching this 1964 made movie this morning while exercising, and found it holds up amazingly well. And it is even more scary than when I first saw it in 1965. I have no idea if an accidental initiation of nuclear warfare is more or less likely than in was 57 years ago, but I know that no system can be made absolutely foolproof. In 1965 I was a 22 year old single guy, getting ready for both marriage and entry onto active duty with the U.S. Army. I had little doubt in those days that war with the USSR was inevitable, but didn't lose much sleep over that thought. Now, as an old man, with five grown kids, and 12 precious grandkids, the thought of a nuclear exchange, accidental or deliberate really terrifies me. I still believe that our best protection is to have overwhelming military strength, i.e., mutual assured destruction of China, Russia, Iran and anyone else that even thinks that they can beat us, but have little faith that our current leadership is up to the task.

Snake45

Hawkeye
vito said:
...have little faith that our current leadership is up to the task.
No one with any sense has any faith that our current leadership is up to any task.

vito said:
I still believe that our best protection is to have overwhelming military strength, i.e., mutual assured destruction of China, Russia, Iran and anyone else that even thinks that they can beat us . . .

I agree that MAD works against the big guys like Russia and China, but I really fear that any of the middle-east camel-jockey "countries" might not hesitate to nuke us since they seem to feel it's OK to die as long as they kill enough of us in the process.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
That was a good film. Liked Dr. Strangelove better. :lol:

"We'll meet again" - Vera Lynn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4VlruVG81w

powder smoke

Hawkeye
My dad use to say, you should not worry about anything you have no control of!
That is what I'm going with. If the sh!t hits the fan I'll do my best! Always been a pretty decent shot! ps

vito

Hunter
GunnyGene said:

Dr. Strangelove is a better film, and has a special place in my heart. It was the first date with the girl who became my wife, and we're still together 55 years later. Both films hold up very well. The age of the cars, and the big land line telephones betray the age of both films. But "Fail Safe", in my opinion, is the more frightening of the two due to its realism.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
vito said:
GunnyGene said:

Dr. Strangelove is a better film, and has a special place in my heart. It was the first date with the girl who became my wife, and we're still together 55 years later. Both films hold up very well. The age of the cars, and the big land line telephones betray the age of both films. But "Fail Safe", in my opinion, is the more frightening of the two due to its realism.

Both are great nostalgia films for the good ol' days of the First Cold War. Since we seem to be entering a New Improved Cold War, what with all the angst about China and Russia, it's nice to recall those days. :)

powder smoke said:
My dad use to say, you should not worry about anything you have no control of!
That is what I'm going with. If the sh!t hits the fan I'll do my best! Always been a pretty decent shot! ps
I am a believer in this:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference

It has worked well for me for many many years.

vito

Hunter
I can't change who runs Congress or who sits in the Oval Office, but I can try to open the eyes and minds of the brain-dead Democrats who voted for Biden, and folks like him, almost solely based on their dislike of Trump and his "mean Tweets".

Igor

Single-Sixer
vito said:
I can't change who runs Congress or who sits in the Oval Office, but I can try to open the eyes and minds of the brain-dead Democrats who voted for Biden, and folks like him, almost solely based on their dislike of Trump and his "mean Tweets".

Good luck with that................TDS is a very real affliction.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Watched Dr.Strangelove on video (!) years ago, found it didn't hold up well, a lot of the humor too broad. Watching the bomb run sequences, one of the crew men is James Earl Jones. Watching Fail Safe, the scenes where they are on the phone with the US ambassador and the bombs fall.....if that doesn't chill your spine.

wheelgun1958

Blackhawk
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.”

Gen Jack D. Ripper

wheelgun1958

Blackhawk
"Perhaps it might be better, Mr. President, if you were more concerned with the American People than with your image in the history books."

General "Buck" Turgidson

wheelgun1958

Blackhawk
When I was in high school many years ago, the American history and civics teachers would occasionally get their classes together and watch movies. Fail Safe, Dr Strangelove, Jeremiah Johnson, A Man Called Horse and others were shown. Great fun and the lights were dimmed with an abundance of girls. Never have teachers like that these days.

LDM

Blackhawk
Liked where Major Kong (Slim Pickens) goes over the contents of the B-52 crew's survival kits. "Shoot, you could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all this stuff!"

Snake45

Hawkeye
While both deal with the same subject matter, Fail Safe is terrifying while Dr. Strangelove is hilarious.

Latest posts