Factory sights crooked!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Knuckles

Buckeye
My "NIB" 4" Redhawk's rear-sight is off-kilter (tilts down to the left)... has anyone else ever had this problem with a Redhawk?

I haven't fired it yet because I just picked it up today, so I don't know how she shoots, but it is irritating to get a brand new gun and have a twisted back sight.

bud (knuckles) :(

Medo

Bearcat
That sucks dude,
My new Alaskan has a rough edge on the top strap above the cylinder on the bottom edge of its left side, not real visible, but rough enough to snag a fingernail. At first I gave a split second thought to returning it to them, but I thought, hell, ill be able to ID my gun in the dark :shock:
Mine is cosmetic though. It sucks when a NIB Ruger reminds you of an Italian cowboy clone, that needs work out of the box before you can shoot it.
If it is real bad, call Ruger, tell them you bought it new and its not even shot, and ask them to issue a pickup from UPS. They will do this for the most part for new guns with these problems, they even did it for my pard up here in Alaska cus he told them he didnt think he should have to pay 40 bucks to ship a defective new out of the box redhawk back. They agreed and generated a shipping label and had the brown truck deliver it, and take the package. Good luck buddy!

trapperon

Blackhawk
Knuckles

Check to see if the sight pivot pin is drilled through the frame level. the hole should be the same distance from the top of the frame on both sides.

Is yours the 4.2 or a 4.0 incher? My 45 redhawk has undersized chambers--havent shot it yet though to see if it will pose a problem or not.

Was this from Guns Galore? I heard that Dick Fern the owner/founder passed away last week.

Glad you got it home Bud!!

Ron

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I have a 4" Redhawk .44 mag I picked up in a trade. When new, the owner had to send it back to Ruger to get the barrel indexed properly. It's still visibly off, and requires the rear sight to be cranked completely to the left to hit POA at 25 yards.

I'm considering sending it in again myself, or perhaps building a simple frame block/wrench and trying to knock it into place myself. I doubt Ruger would do it as warranty work for the second owner.

At least mine isn't physically damaged. If I'm reading the base post correctly, that just sucks.

I do wish these companies could get their QC act together, but I guess that would cut into the CEO's bonus.

-- Sam

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Medo":1v034ia0 said:
It sucks when a NIB Ruger reminds you of an Italian cowboy clone, that needs work out of the box before you can shoot it.

Be careful about badmouthing those Italian clones. I gave $355 for a brand new Uberti that puts Ruger and Smith to shame in several areas.The fit and finish of the metal parts is unimpressive, but the genuine walnut grip panels fit beautifully--better than any factory Ruger grips I've handled. The action locks up tighter than any of my other revolvers, and is silky smooth. Even the trigger pull is crisp, albeit heavier than I'd like.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I was trying to eyeball the barrel and it may have an ever so slight turn past center (maybe not!)... as far as the rear sight goes, it appears (to the naked eye) to be pinned even, however the sight itself looks to be machined bad... like it's warped on the bottom.

I don't know for sure what the exact deal is but... it is high on the right... and low on the left.

The gun was put on lay-a-way March of 2009, so I believe it is a true 4" bbl... I guess I'll go measure it now that you asked about it.

I didn't see any bad machining on any of my Vaqueros or my Montado... maybe I should have just stuck with them. :roll:

Bud (knuckles)

trapperon

Blackhawk
Bud

You will get 'er shooting just fine I believe. If you suspect it is the actual sight that is bad or crooked, I'm sure Ruger would send you a new one--a simple swap on your end.

I got mine at Guns Galore--it is still the only place I have ever seen one!

Ron

Knuckles

Buckeye
I just checked the bbl-length... it's 4"

I also can't believe how bad the outside of the barrel is nicked up where it meets the cylinder (forcing cone?)

I am disheartened with this one... what was the name of the gal @ Ruger who is always very helpful?... I will have to call them.

You live and learn.

Knuckles

Buckeye
trapperon":2sh5e9au said:
Bud

You will get 'er shooting just fine I believe. If you suspect it is the actual sight that is bad or crooked, I'm sure Ruger would send you a new one--a simple swap on your end.

I got mine at Guns Galore--it is still the only place I have ever seen one!

Ron

Yep!... I got mine there too!
I didn't see these issues when I put it on lay-a-way last March so I recon it's up to Ruger to take care of me.

Bud

Knuckles

Buckeye
Well... I talked to a guy at Ruger service and he told me to send it to him UPS overnight.

The last time I shipped a gun UPS it cost me almost $60.00 so I told the fella that and he said said to "put a copy of my shipping-receipt in with the gun and make a note to be reimbursed".

Now that sounded all fine and dandy but I don't have the money up front to send it out, so here it sits... waiting for me to save up some more scratch.

BTW... how can Ruger return the gun to me?... I'm not an FFL... anybody care to enlighten me on that one? :?

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
knuckles":3i2vc89h said:
Well... I talked to a guy at Ruger service and he told me to send it to him UPS overnight.

The last time I shipped a gun UPS it cost me almost $60.00 so I told the fella that and he said said to "put a copy of my shipping-receipt in with the gun and make a note to be reimbursed".

Now that sounded all fine and dandy but I don't have the money up front to send it out, so here it sits... waiting for me to save up some more scratch.

BTW... how can Ruger return the gun to me?... I'm not an FFL... anybody care to enlighten me on that one? :?

Being that it is already registered to you and you ship it to a licesened FFL dealer,there is no problem them returning to you.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
I've not heard of being "reimbursed for shipping" before. Seems it would cost less for them to just send you a shipping label. Then it wouldn't be a wait for you too. Why don't you call them again and ask to speak with Bonnie, tell her your predicament, and see if'fn she'll just send you a label. She's always been real helpful in my experience.

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
They can send your gun back to you becaue it is already logged out to you. Same as mailing guns to yourself across the country. You can do it if you are moving to another state if I remember correctly.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I called Ruger again and got another woman besides Bonnie, she is sending me a new rear sight... pronto!

I think that's all it is... if not that then I'll send it back.
This big phat! gun is really starting to grow on me... it was like swinging around an engine-block when I first opened it... I guess carrying around an SP101 or a short Vaquero got me soft.

All is calm in Ruger Land. :wink:

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
If you do end up sending it back, politely ask for a shipping label. They should be able to email you one.

Also, be prepared for the package to be sitting outside your door if no one is home. ;)

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
knuckles":s83n6fjk said:
This big phat! gun is really starting to grow on me... it was like swinging around an engine-block when I first opened it...
It is that, isn't it? I owned a 4" Taurus .44 mag before, and while it was bigger than a 629 it was nowhere near as beefy as the RH.

Shooting .44 Special level loads out of it feels like a popgun... :D

-- Sam

A

Anonymous

I just bought one of these 4.2" Redhawks in 45 Colt and after reading this thread, you guys got me worried, so I got it out and checked it over.....it is fine.

Pretty good trigger for a modern revolver, especially the double action timing.