Factory No. 1 in .470 Nitro possibility?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AWGunS

Bearcat
I grew up reading John Taylor, Craig Boddington, and Peter Capstick. At one point, I had assembled a African battery, consisting of a No.1 in .416 Rigby, a WinchesterModel 70 in .375 H&H and a Weatherby in .270 Weatherby, just to satisfy my fascination.

But I always wanted a .470 Nitro or .500 Nitro. At one point, I had a discussion with McGowen about building a .500 NE off a No. 1, but it never happened.

With Ruger introducing the 450/400 a few years back, with ammunition produced by Hornady, how much of a stretch would it be for Ruger to produce a .470? It is not outside the product line of the Tropical series, and I can't predict sales numbers, but I would think it would sell at least comparably to the 450/400.

I would order one tomorrow if they would produce it.

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
Not sure anyone would want to touch off a 470 or 500 NE in a No. 1! Have you ever tried one in a double rifle? The ideal weight for one of those in order not to have your brains scrambled is north of 10lbs. A No 1 would be a brutal beast for sure.

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
Quite a few years ago Ross Seyfried wrote and article in Guns & Ammo about converting a No. 1 .458 Win to .470 Nitro. He sent the barrel out for re-boring/rifling and made a couple of other modifications to end up with a working .470 Nitro in a No. 1

He decided that the .470 was a low pressure round and the the No. 1 was capable of handling higher pressure. He started loading the 470 up to "modern" pressure standards. He decided that when he got to 2450FPS with a 600-something grain bullet he was having all the fun he could stand. There is a picture of him in the article touching one off and his shooting glasses are hanging in the air about 3 inches in front of his face.

If you really want one SSK builds them fairly regularly or at least they do when somebody wants one. There is a .470 Capstick on gunbroker right now -- I believe the buy it now price is aroun $1500 -- certainly cheaper than it could be done any other way!

Dave

Con

Bearcat
four70nitro said:
I believe SSK will also build you a .500 or a .600 on a No. 1 if you want one......

They used to.

Dave

They will but the 0.620" is based on the 577NE case which really maxes the Ruger No1 out and I wouldn't be trying to push 50k psi with one. It would be prudent to hold it to a 500NE.

A friend has a Ruger No1 built in 577NE, the amount of gunsmithing work required is generally under-estimated by those that haven't been privy to that type conversation with a gunsmith in the know. Mind you ... even with the pressure limitations ... I don't think I'd want to go past the 750gr at 2150fps we played with.

Here's what a 577NE looks like next to my Ruger MkII 458AccRel with #6 straight taper barrel.
Pic1.jpg

By the way ... a few custom No1 rifles have been built in 470Nitro in Australia, I was offered one and let it pass. Another moment of stupidity!
Cheers...
Con

picketpin

Buckeye
Please, just have one made. What we DON"T need is one more #1 in some huge caliber that 3 guys want to shoot.

Sure they have made lots of "Big" stuff. All one has to do is look at the web sites tosee just how many are still searching for a home.

It's certainly nothing my old tired shoulder would tolerate.

Ross

Belt Fed

Single-Sixer
I am going to have my 1H in 458 Win. Mag. rechambered to 450 N.E. 3 1/4" as soon as my smith gets time to do it.

Belt Fed

Single-Sixer
I can have my No.1 458 rechambered for a whole lot less than it would cost to buy a Boddingtin 450NE. The bore diameter and the twist are the same for both cartridges.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
I'd like a .500 Nitro myself. So there are more than 3 guys who want one..... I'd prefer mine in Stainless though, which I know to some of you is heresy, but I would actually be hunting with mine and using it as a field gun (I live in Alaska).

single action

Single-Sixer
I have a 450-400 and the recoil on my number one is pretty snappy, due to the stock design and the weight, I believe your big nitros would real kick ones butt. sa

sp45

Bearcat
I have seen a #1 in 470 NE. I have about four boxes of vintage Kynoch ammo for the 470 and was toying with the idea of building one but would never have a legit chance to use it so cancelled the idea.