Factory Muzzle Brake MK I ~~~ It Letters....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Update 8-24, Ruger Records said today that the invoice shows the gun shipping as a T678 with Muzzle Brake. They are sending the letter.... :)

Checking the history of this one. Trade in from the gent that ordered it originally. Going to call Ruger tomorrow to see how it shipped.

I am told the rib was installed for the owner by Ruger...it is an amazing job of mounting. Each lug is custom made to the gun and silver soldered in place

After I shoot her... :lol:

MarkI002.jpg

MarkI003.jpg

giz

A

Anonymous

Terry,

About the rib, that makes two of us... :mrgreen:

I'm waiting for the experts to weigh in on that one. It is a incredible piece of workmanship. It is a Simmons Rib and they evidently did a lot of shotgun rib work. Each lug has a different contour to the barrel rounding an each has a unique height. Somebody knew their stuff... :wink:

giz

street

Hunter
Ruger has never advertised a rib for a MK-I. And they never had a price in their price list for a rib. And Ruger never had a custom shop. That being said! If you were friends with Mr Ruger you could get anything made, such as a 15 in. 44 Flattop. So this gun could have been shipped from the factory with a raised rib, if the owner knew Mr. Ruger, or worked at the Factory, but only a Factory Letter will tell for sure. We will all be waiting to hear the history of how this gun was shipped.

All Vaqueros are New Models even the Old Model Vaqueros are New Models.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Gizamo, I think I have seen that gun before. By chance does the serial number have a "D" in it? As far as the rib on the barrel I really don't think it was factory installed..

wwb

Hunter
Very slick job on the rib.... but, c'mon, guys.... a muzzle brake on a .22 rimfire ???? For the added weight, maybe, but it ain't like there's a lot of recoil that needs taming. I've got a Mark I with the 5" bull barrel, and a Mark II Target with the tapered barrel... the recoil on either one is just a twitch.

A

Anonymous

Making the call to Ruger records today. Would they record the additional work or just call it a RST6?...

The thing that is throwing me is, the gun was blued after the work was completed.

giz

flatgate

Hawkeye
Me not knowing one thing about the Autos won't stop me from saying "I doubt very seriously that the "rib" was installed by Ruger".

wwb,

Ruger did indeed market and sell quite a few muzzle brakes to the "target shooting crowd" back in the day.

How about one on a Single-Six?

329198994.jpg

329198997.jpg

Oh, I doubt it's a "Ruger" part, but, it's cute.........

flatgate

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
wwb":3iii3uok said:
Very slick job on the rib.... but, c'mon, guys.... a muzzle brake on a .22 rimfire ???? For the added weight, maybe, but it ain't like there's a lot of recoil that needs taming. I've got a Mark I with the 5" bull barrel, and a Mark II Target with the tapered barrel... the recoil on either one is just a twitch.

wwb,
Not to start an argument......But I know a few Bullseye competitors who
would disagree with you on the muzzle brake for .22's :wink: :wink:
Again JM.02
Terry

Its all in their heads,,,it's the weight more than anything...nice gun, neat set up ,but I will agree with 'Splitz', typical of of a Simmons job, also they blue the gun afterwords...unless you have any any & ALL "documentation' of it being from Ruger, it is ONLY a custom gun...lots of gunsmiths did "custom" work back in that era, bullseye .22 shooting was a big deal then...yessir, it does look neat though......
as for the muzzle brake, it is one of the early vintage ones, the later ones ( scarcer) had the "Inc" in the address........

street

Hunter
Gizamo":1713o8in said:
Making the call to Ruger records today. Would they record the additional work or just call it a RST6?...

The thing that is throwing me is, the gun was blued after the work was completed.

giz

I hope they call it a T678 not a RST6. :!: :!:

All Vaqueros are New Models even the Old Model Vaqueros are New Models.

A

Anonymous

Friend of my with Chad's book gave me this....

According to Chad Hiddleson's book (Encyclopedia of Ruger Semi-Automatic Rimfire Pistols - 1949-1992), Ruger Muzzle brakes (MB-4) were made to fit the tapered barrel T514 or T678. Factory records will indicate if the muzzle brake shipped with the pistol. At the time of Hiddleson's book no T514's had been verified as shipped with a muzzle brake. So few T678's were shipped with muzzle brakes, they are considered rare.

Had to leave a voice mail with Ruger records today. Waiting for a call-back...

giz

mattsbox99

Hunter
T.A. WORKMAN":2qdc58kk said:
wwb":2qdc58kk said:

wwb,
Not to start an argument......But I know a few Bullseye competitors who
would disagree with you on the muzzle brake for .22's :wink: :wink:
Again JM.02
Terry

Yep, I shoot Bullseye and Steel Challenge with compensated .22 Rugers, it makes a huge difference. When they are properly tuned, you don't have any muzzle rise and your sights never move off the target.

Ruger also makes and installs muzzle brakes on the Mini 14s.

chet15

Hawkeye
Gizamo":1775um8h said:
giz

When you call the factory, they will probably end up calling it a T678 since it is the adjustable sight Mark I model with 6-7/8" barrel.
Just last night saw a conversion that looks exactly like the subject gun, Page 277 of the 1964 Gun Digest, a simmons rib attached by Gil Hebard and muzzle brake on the end to complement the package.
To date, I've still only ever heard of one Ruger pistol that lettered with a muzzle brake. But remember, this wouldn't have shipped assembled to the gun as the brake will not fit in Ruger's packaging when installed. The brake would have had to have been in its own separate brown cardboard box placed inside the package upon shipment.
Chet15

A

Anonymous

Chet,

You have now heard of two....

I've been on the phone to Ruger Records, off and on, since last Friday. They pulled the original invoice. This is indeed being lettered as a factory muzzle brake gun.

Also, they did call it a T678... :)

giz

Latest posts