"Factory" chrome plated Mark I

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RSIno1

Hunter
Being involved with Shelby cars since the late 60s we've come up with a saying. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary documentation. We just went through a big BS scam that was recently on TV about Jim Morrison's car. The current "owner" says his is it with "this means facts" and the TV show needing stories went with it without an easy 5 minute call that would prove the car being pitched was built with a different color interior and was built after Jim Morrison was already driving his to Doors concerts.

Here is the winners comments - look how may be has changed to become fact. It's also now confirmed it's the gun in the book.

"It's hard to hold back, I just won the auction for the nickel plated MK I owned by WM Ruger SR . You will find the gun pictured in R.L. Wilson's book 'Ruger & His Guns' on page 28 in the center. It is a sample gun and unfired. It is from the estate of William Ruger JR. An article in the ROCS Digest will be forthcoming."

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Congratulations!!! Guns like that do not come along very often. Sometimes it's worth taking a chance. Sometimes we buy the wrong car and sometimes we win an amazing Ruger. So happy for you and can't wait to read the article.

TomD

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes... it is the real deal.
To the winner go the spoils!!
I'm embarrassed that I didn't see this thread or I would have snagged it!
The buyer called me, had 3 hours left on the auction and asked if I thought if it was real
The rest is history.
1 of 5 chrome Mark I's in the 15xxx and 16xxx range.
I also know where 15886 is, and it isn't plated.
Chet15

chet15 said:
Yes... it is the real deal.
To the winner go the spoils!!
I'm embarrassed that I didn't see this thread or I would have snagged it!
The buyer called me, had 3 hours left on the auction and asked if I thought if it was real
The rest is history.
1 of 5 chrome Mark I's in the 15xxx and 16xxx range.
I also know where 15886 is, and it isn't plated.
Chet15

Q.E.D.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
PLATED GUNS WERE TAKEN OFF OF THE LINE,"DAY BOOK BUILD" AND TAKEN TO SUPERIOR PLATING(ACROSS THE STREET, THEY SAY..) NO NOTES TAKEN TO CHANGE OR ID THE CHANGE IN FINISH IN THE DAY BOOK BUILD RECORDS, ACCORDING TO JACK BEHN, WITH WHOM I PERSONALLY DISCUSSED THIS BROAD PLATING SUBJECT MANY TIMES......WILSON IS GONE...... NO WAY TO ASK IF HE SCREWED UP WITH THE SN. THE GUN CAME FROM THE RUGER ESTATE ET AL. I SUGGEST IT A GOOD PURCHASE......BTW, EVEN THE SELLER MESSED UP WHEN HE NOTES THE SN HE SUBMITTED TO RUGER IE SN 19XXX AND 19XXX.........SHOULD HAVE BEEN 15XXX'S AND......FWIW, HAD I KNOWN OF THIS PIECE, I WOULD HAVE BID THE HELL OUT OF IT....... :D

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
PLATED GUNS WERE TAKEN OFF OF THE LINE,"DAY BOOK BUILD" AND TAKEN TO SUPERIOR PLATING(ACROSS THE STREET,

Ruger didn't move to Lacey Place until 1959.
The guns plated earlier were done in I believe two different places in Bridgeport, CT.
Chet15

RSIno1

Hunter
chet15 said:
SteelBlue said:
Doesn't look good to me.

"Ruger & His Guns" by R. L. Wilson, page 28
Chet15
How do we know it's not one of the other ones? There is no photo that shows serial number. There is no record of which gun was sent to be used for the photo. What happens when another one shows up and claims it'd the gun in the book?

Gee, the 'chromed' one Laura has (flatgate made in 1955) was done up there some place, per the original owner, got it new BUT alas, Steve Vogel passed away the month following the gun in question by her, to Steve...guess we'll never know and many ( most?) of the players back then are GONE........ :( 8)

I do know for a FACT after seeing the invoice Steve showed us before from Superior Plating, stated "6 guns plated......revolvers" and not a serial number on the invoice to the factory..... :roll:

Never say never, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"and so it goes..." RIP Wil Terry

chet15

Hawkeye
RSIno1 said:
chet15 said:
SteelBlue said:
Doesn't look good to me.

"Ruger & His Guns" by R. L. Wilson, page 28
Chet15
How do we know it's not one of the other ones? There is no photo that shows serial number. There is no record of which gun was sent to be used for the photo. What happens when another one shows up and claims it'd the gun in the book?

Working on it.
Right now, there are distinctive marks on the left side of the gun that is pictured in Wilson's book that also match up with the gun that is now in the hands of the new owner.
But that's not all... more to come.
Chet15

Working on it.
Right now, there are distinctive marks on the left side of the gun that is pictured in Wilson's book that also match up with the gun that is now in the hands of the new owner.
But that's not all... more to come.
Chet15[/quote]

It is THE gun....i have NO doubts about that....the story checks out...as far as I am concerned.

chet15

Hawkeye
NH Rugerman said:
It is THE gun....i have NO doubts about that....the story checks out...as far as I am concerned.

I agree with you completely! And is the reason I pointed the current owner that direction when he called me up about it, with three hours left to go on the auction.
Chet15

chet15 said:
NH Rugerman said:

I agree with you completely! And is the reason I pointed the current owner that direction when he called me up about it, with three hours left to go on the auction.
Chet15
Yes, i was winning it until he bid, unfortunately i was with family and couldn't check otherwise it would have went for much higher i am sure!!!