? Facebook hijack?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I got a friend request from a guy I grew up and went to high school with ... this was a small town and everybody new everybody was even in love with his sister for a while. So I did friend him and then he sent me a message wanting to know how I was and I responded hinting about my health problems from two years ago... then his next message was just a tad off.

"Have you heard from DHHS? "

I could not figure out who or what DHHS was and so I asked...

Response was, " Department of Health & Human Services".

So my response was a joke: " Nope, I think I smell too bad.... "Old Chimney Sweeps Never Die, The Just Smell that Way"."

Then he came back with this one... which I need to figure out if his humor is dryer than mine or if someone has hijacked his facebook account.

"They are having a promotional Program to help Retired, Workers, Youths, Old and Disable with cash in the society and i saw your name too on their lists, when i received my money from the FedEx men. Did you get anything from them?"

That last post just doesn't float right. I'm trying to decided if I come straight out and ask if he is who he is, I could ask some questions that only the real person would know or if I mess with who ever this possibly is some?

I got smart (well not really) and went to the guy's facebook page... he has 14 friends none of which I know. I would swear when I got the friend request there was a picture of him ... but now his facebook page just has the silhouette. I sent him my question about who the heck he is....

the squirmy part was that he got my name from the fedex package that contained his money.... Huh?

It does sound like a scam. More than likely your personal information has been hacked from Target or Home Depot etc. Those companies were in the news a couple years ago for being hacked and their customer information database was stolen.

I've gotten emails in my junk folder. I don't open them, but you can read the subject line. It goes something like this. I know your password is "xxxx." Which is weird, because it WAS PARTLY "xxxx" but years ago. The password in question was an obscure town in Bulgaria, correct spelling and everything. Only I always added numbers etc. which they didn't have... Also I haven't used that password for more than 5 years. But somewhere, sometime, ago my personal data was stolen from someplace.

Our credit card number hasn't been stolen in a while, but it used to happen about twice a year on average. The funny thing was, they spent less than we did, and the first time it took a while to notice it. :D It was at Starbucks where I used to frequent regularly. But, this is why I object to all these stores that want my phone number for their "special" store card. I absolutely hate those things.

Sorry for the rant.... Anyway, I would bet either you, your friend's, or both of your data and personal info was hacked.

Do you check your credit card regularly?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I had exactly the same type of post, supposedly from a couple at my church. I asked about something that my friend and I had going on between us for several months. The sender had no clue what I waz talking about. Supposedly he had received something like $50,000.00 from the government agency.

Bob Wright

But, this is why I object to all these stores that want my phone number for their "special" store card.

I give them a phone number I had 50 years ago

One of the things I find interesting about these things is it's always about you getting some money, often an astronomical amount and it is money that is not yours... often stolen by someone else.... I was trying to explain this to my wife last night.... just say it is not a scam.... the money is not yours and so why would you even consider getting it... even if there was no 'charge' or need to give your bank information to get it?

Pyromike

Single-Sixer
I was hacked about a year ago. They got my email account so when I tried to reset my password; the link went to them. I cancelled and tried a new account. Same problem. I dropped it all and haven't looked back. Don't miss it and moved on with life.

So I sent this message yesterday:

ME: It seems one of two things are going on.... your humor is dryer than mine or you are not who I thought you were. Here's the question: what was the name of our gang in high school?

He sent back: What did you mean by that just Blame? (misspelled my name)
Did you get anything from them?

And so this is my reply to him or her:

"To be honest from your post about the DHHS and the FedEX 'men' it is obvious you are not the D...... W..........(name deleted) I grew up with and I'm reasonably sure you are some kind of scam artist who does not have the energy or where with all to go out and get a real job. If I am wrong, then I apologize... but there is no way Fedex "men" are going to give you my name even if there is some kind of DHHS Program to help people out.. which I have no desire to be in because the money I get I make from something called WORK!"