F-18 Doing Low Level Flying

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Very GOOD. There is one of these routes close to us that the Navy uses every so often. The route is flown with visual reference and a watch. All pilots need to be aware of them. Seeing a or not seeing a jet at 500kts. and 500' will get your attention. :wink:
Enjoy,
Jim

A F-18 pilot demonstrating some Low Level Flying skills on VR-1251 over Northern California before crossing into Oregon towards the end of the video. The route the pilot is flying is known as VR-1251 and is used for low level target penetration training as it starts over the Pacific and ends at NAS Fallon Nevada after flying over the Cascade and Sierra mountains. Here’s another cool video of F/A-18 Hornet Pilots.

http://biggeekdad.com/2012/09/f-18-low-level-flying-vr-1251/

Son was the Air Boss on the USS Nimitz when this was filmed.

http://biggeekdad.com/2015/03/angle-of-attack/

opos

Buckeye
Great vids....the low level penetration sure shows how those folks stay sharp...I had a friend that flew A7's years ago..used to go fly up dry washes in New Mexico to keep his coordination sharp....got to be careful though as the washes go uphill and the altitude get's less and less as you go along...

What were the aircraft that the carrier transitions were being done in?

RSIno1

Hunter
My Cessna used to be target fodder for low flying jets when we'd go north past Edwards AFB. I'd be at 1000 agl and they'd pass under us.

picketpin

Buckeye
When I was a kid Mountain Home AFB was a SAC base. WE got overflown by the B52s fair routinely. Then it was made a Tac base in the last 50 years we've had F4s, f111s, F15 and and F16s plus the F4s and A10s out of Gowen Field in Boise.

The two most eye popping were some small dots down on the deck going like hell. AS they grew closer they became two f16s , followed by a B1 with two F15s flying trail. They popped up over Turner Butte where we were. Then followed three more "packets" of the same configuration.This was in the 90s when MHAFB was one of the two bases set up for rapid respone/deployment. As the last group passed over the butte the 8 eight F15s turned their noses to the sky and went vertical and ballistic, popping the barrier as they climbed to their air superiority altitude.

The other was a few years back. We were moving cows over on Wild Horse Butte. WE could here but not see a C130 down on the deck and he was REALLY hogging the engines around. WE rode over so we could see. Right on the deck, below the edge of the rim fling close to the rim and making "gun runs". That's when I leaned the Puff was no longer a DC3 but a C130 with lots more fire power. Practicing for the Hindu Kush I suppose.

I have BRIGHT yellow rain flys on my wall tents. One to shed rain and snow but two so the UV doesn't rot the canvas. For years the Base Information Officer used to send me Christmas cards of my cow cow camps, from the gun cameras taken when they made gun runs over my camps.

Some years AGO A F19 came apart and fluttered to the ground. They kept that one pretty quiet.

RWT

Robes

Single-Sixer
That was my dream in life. At the time, your vision had to be 20/20 uncorrected and that put me out of the game. Had to settle for my Cessna....

Damn, what I wouldn't do to ride in the back seat,...just once....

when I was young...probably 14 or 15 I was out in a field and had some type of F-fighter fly over me at less that I'd say a hundred feet... you could make out all the warning labels on the underside.... quite impressive. I'm not sure the pilot should have been trimming the tops of the pine trees like he was but it still sticks in my mind.... probably out of Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, SC.

I think that guy buzzed our old ranch! When I was a kid we had simulated raids by the Navy and Marines on a the local AF figher base that used that nap-of-the-earth technique to avoid the Nike base and NORAD radars. I guess it still works--SAM radar still can't see through rocks and dirt!

bogus bill

Hunter
In the mid 1970`s I was deer hunting on the east side of the High Sierra`s below Susanville High up on a mountain. I seen what sure looked like Mig flying below me! Now that area is relatively close (250 miles) to area 51, Groom Lake etc.
I don't consider myself by any means a expert on all the aircraft models but still, I worked as a Lockheed guard for 35 years and was around many military planes. Does anyone know if we ever captured one to test?

bogus bill

Hunter
For the first time I just googled the Mig models. Its been almost 40 years so my memory isn't the best but I recall the tail looking like the Mig 17. Yet that would have been far outdated by then? I cant accurately say anymore, I guess it would have had to been a later model. At that time period I was a guard at AF plant 42 and Edwards was close. I never seen similar up to then. I do recall thinking at the time it was just like pictures of migs I had seen. As I said on earlier threads I was a Lockheed guard from 1965 to 2,000 and was with both the Skunk Works and everything else we had and at that time never seen a similar American aircraft. Edit, thinking about it, this was only about 50 miles north of Reno and well could have been activity from Stead AFB. I imagine Stead has had everything come and go.

Bill,
It could have been a 17 they were still in use by many countries at that time.
Also Nellis AFB is where Red Flag is located.

Release No. 071106
November 13,2006

AF Declassifies Elite Aggressor Program

WASHINGTON - After decades of secrecy, the Air Force today acknowledged that it flew Communist-built fighters at the Tonopah Test Range northwest of Las Vegas, Nevada.

From 1977 through 1988, the program, known as CONSTANT PEG, saw U.S. Air Force, Navy, and Marine aircrews flying against Soviet-designed MiG fighters as part of a training program where American pilots could better learn how to defeat or evade the Communist bloc's fighters of the day.

Threat aircraft flown by the Red Eagles spanned several decades and technical generations of capability. There was the MiG-17 Fresco, a small, agile single-seat transonic fighter placed in service just after the Korean War and used extensively over Vietnam and the Middle East; the MiG-21 Fishbed, a high supersonic fighter used world-wide in large numbers, and the swing-wing MiG-23 Flogger, likewise in global service, an attempt by the Soviets to match the sophisticated capabilities of the F-4 Phantom.

More info.
http://forum.milavia.net/warbirds/u-s-flying-of-the-mig-17-mig-21-and-mig-23-declassified/

Robb Barnes

Hunter
When I used to hunt Steens Mountain in SE Oregon we would watch the fighter jets come up the glacial valley and shoot through the gun sight notch on the rim then dive down to the Alvord desert before heading back towards NV. Never did much for the deer hunt at that time but still cool to watch!