Explain "follow through" on a shot please...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Follow Through with your shot is exactly what it says, following through: After the trigger is pulled and the gun recoils, follow through by putting the sights right back on target. When the gun has no noticeable recoil, it would just stay right on the target. You continue to squeeze the trigger and all, even though the shot's done gone, following through. I control my breathing when I shoot and even getting a new breath of air is done after the follow through.

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
This also refers to shotgun "wing shooting". You do not stop the swing as you pull the trigger, you still keep swinging to maintain same lead after the shot. Imagine trying to hit something that is moving with water from a hose. hth greg

epj

Bearcat
In handgun shooting, it generally refers to maintaining the same sight picture afther the sear breaks and the hammer starts to fall as you had prior to the hammer disengaging the sear. In other words, if you are dry firing the gun, the sight picture should not jump around as the trigger is pulled. As the trigger looses contact with the hammer, it moves to the rear and many shooters have a tendancy to lower the muzzle. This is the reason many target guns have a trigger stop which limits the rearward movement of the trigger after it breaks the sear.

jforwel

Bearcat
In addition to or the result of all the above is that you basically do not want to immediately move the gun out of the way to look at the target. When shooters start doing that, they miss the target because they are already starting to think about the hit before the hammer falls. This applies to archery too.

2 dogs

Buckeye
It's where you see your front sight in focus during
ignition to the point where you watch it lift out of the
rear notch in recoil.

If you aren't seeing that you aren't doing it as well as it
can be done. Before you try telling me it's not possible
know that the human eye can easily see 20 frames per
second.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
paleocaver":2r11jh36 said:
In various threads about bullet impact and groups, I've seen the phrase "follow through". What is it as it pertains to shooting single action hanguns?

Thanks

epj gave ya some good info there. Follow through is essential for long-range shooting accuracy.

Emaho

Bearcat
Thanks to all for the clear and helpful info/explanations. Just got a "new to me" SBH Hunter in 45LC and am anxious to put this knowledge to the test. This technique must improve shooting with any gun, at any distance.

Merlinspop

Bearcat
To me, follow through in handgun shooting (in addition to what's been stated above) has to do with maintaining your sight picture for as long as possible. Here's what I mean and why I think it's stressed so much:

At the point of ignition, that whole "equal and opposite reaction" stuff that Issac Newton invented :p immediately starts to happen. Recoil is already happening while the bullet is still inside the barrel. Yes, it is an extremely short time, but it's happening. The longer the barrel and the slower the burn rate of the powder used, the longer the bullet is in the barrel. Think about the difference between a 2" snubbie firing a hot .357 load and a Kentucky long rifle. Make sense?

So, it is possible for the beginning movement caused by the recoil to have a small effect on exactly where the bullet impacts. If you're trying to defend yourself or make a lung/heart shot on a relatively close in deer, it probably doesn't make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. If you're trying to punch out a tiny bullseye or hit a target at longer range, the effects can be more pronounced.

Therefore, the goal of a good follow for any firearm is to keep your barrel pointing at what you intend to poke a hole in until the bullet (or shot) is all the way out and on it's way to the target (or where the target will be when they meet if you're holding a lead).

How exactly you do that is the topic of a lot of discussions, books and articles, but they all have the same goal. Try different techniques and use what works best for you.

Good shootin!

Steve Myers

Single-Sixer
I used to struggle with my combat shooting by trying to rush it, and rush it I did - ALL OVER the place! I have always shot competitive rifle (since 14 in HS) and follow thru is critical in that game. Same with hunting. Carried it over in all my shooting, except combat shooting...

Recently I have found that in Cooper's Mozambique drill, or 'two in the body, one in the head' drill - that proper follow through helps immensly with accurate dbl taps to the chest AND helps me concentrate on using the sights in a combat scenario. My defensive shooting has improved probably 300% percent!

Learn to follow through - it WILL improve ALL your shooting!

Snake45

Hawkeye
As I understand it, "follow through" means breaking the shot AS IF you mentally expected nothing to happen (i.e., no recoil) at or after the shot. If you expect something to happen as the shot breaks, you're not "following through."

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
To me "follow through" means everything that happens after you break the shot. A good follow through will let you get back on target right away. An empty chamber at random is a sure way to tell if you have a flinch. :D

...Jimbo

Bones507

Bearcat
Paleocaver, if you want more details and expand yourself a little i recommend this site below. Its Brian Enos forum and he is a highly respected teacher and competitor. Theres a wealth of information that you can use there. Im not taking anything away from this site or the folks who post here at all but i did learn to become a better shot myself there.
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.p ... owforum=81

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
To me, follow thru starts with a solid stance, and firm grip, with proper sight alignment, on the chosen target. Slowly start the squeeze of the trigger with total concentration on the front sight. As a matter of fact, try to push that front sight thru your target. Keep concentrating on that front sight, and picture your bullet striking your intended target. When the gun finally goes off, you should be almost startled, because your concentration is so great. Keep your sight alignment as good as you can, thru the recoil. In a nut shell, follow thru and intense concentration on the task at hand are basically the same.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
There was a fairly recent thread where several of you discussed proper grip and follow-thru for shooting a SA. I have been unable to locate it again; but if any of you know the one, please post a link - I found it very helpful.

Wrangler John

Bearcat
Ah, grasshopper, you must become the shot. No thoughts about what is about to happen. No teasing the sights into alignment, no worries about missing, you must become the gun shooting, not a man shooting a gun. As Yagyu Munemori said, The heart [of the samurai] is like a mirror, empty and clear.' Such is no-mindedness.

To attain this, you must practice dry firing at a target while holding the gun at arms length, daily - every day. If you are a long range silhouette shooter or hunter you must practice from the position(s) you will use. Sight picture, breath control, squeeze and follow through. Your muscles become stronger in the doing, they learn the task apart from mind, without thinking about what you are doing. It is like playing the flute, the music flows without thought, nothing is being done, it happens by itself; no fingers, no flute, no embouchure, no breath control, it is the music itself that is breathing. This is the result of practice and training.

A pistol is being held. It's sights align perfectly, there is a target but it is of no concern. BANG! Still the sights are aligned, the target ignored. Someone has fired. There is a hole in the x-ring - most satisfying. Now go practice.