Experiences with LCR in 327 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack

Single-Sixer
Would like to hear of experiences with this new 6_shot baby. Am concerned about durability of a "polymer" revolver. tks .......... jack

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Durability I don't think will be a problem, I also want one for my wife. Jeff has a review on gunblast, looks good to me.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
Kicks a fair bit, but is controllable. I've only got 400 rounds through mine so far. 200 .327's and 200 .32H&R. Looks like it will hold up fine. I've also got the 3" LCRx in 38spl. That's got a couple of thousand rounds through it and it is holding up fine.

louiethelump

Buckeye
On the subject of Mr Quinn's Gunblast article, the version I got is incomplete. He shoots the gun and checks chronograph readings on 32 acp ammo right on the video as well as 327 ammo, but shows no ballistics information at all. The velocity of 32 acp out of a 327 revolver and velocities of 327 from the short barrel are of utmost importance to me. Did I miss the information? Did he not post it for some reason?

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I've developed an interest in this particular gun, but, there is not a lot of information or reviews out there.
I just back from a gun show today and saw all kinds of Rugers, but not a single 327 Fed. I know they just came out, so I guess it will be some time before they show up locally.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I picked mine up 10/24. It was too late to shoot it that day so I waited until last Friday. The cylinder has a problem where one of the chambers is too tight after firing. Loaded factory rounds chamber just fine but are too difficult to push out once they are fired. The case fired in this tight chamber goes in and out of the others easily. So off to Ruger it will go.

I guess I stuck my size 10- 1/2 foot in my mouth a couple months ago boasting that I had bought 60-70 Ruger handguns with nary the first quality issue. :roll: That's what I get for shooting my big mouth off :mrgreen: . Anyway, I am not upset, just disappointed that I cannot shoot it while it is gone.

As far as how it shot, I was pleased. I had some 100gr. Gold Dots from Speer in factory loads and my standby 115gr RNFP under 3.7gr. Clays. The Speer load was snappy as one would expect but not bad at all for me. The reload does 1,000 fps out of my 5.5" BlackHawk so it is maybe 800 - 850 from a snubby. We planned to set up the chronograph but my buddy forgot to load it. I need to get my own.

Anybody else seen these? I got mine from ACRYLICTNK here on RF as a package deal with a 41 Redhawk. Davidson's had them in stock a while back. It is pretty easy to buy guns through them.

Hope y'all have better luck than me on this one.

32Magfan

heyjoe

Bearcat
I picked up my 327 LCR on Monday. I havent fired it yet. The cylinder release is very stiff even after lubricating. The cylinder also requires more force to close than i'm used to. It does carry nicely in my pocket in a pocket holster.

Jim Puke

Hunter
heyjoe said:
I picked up my 327 LCR on Monday. I havent fired it yet. The cylinder release is very stiff even after lubricating. The cylinder also requires more force to close than i'm used to. It does carry nicely in my pocket in a pocket holster.

This has been characteristic of my LCR's...I finally just sat around at night and opened and closed them until they loosened up some.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
jack said:
Would like to hear of experiences with this new 6_shot baby. Am concerned about durability of a "polymer" revolver. tks .......... jack
It's steel framed:

The powerful LCR-357™, 9mm Luger and .327 Federal Magnum models are made from blackened 400 series stainless steel.

You'll break before it will, be my guess. :wink:
http://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5452.html

5452.jpg

It's not the kind of gun you'd spend a a lot of time shooting .327 Federal Magnum loads, stout and sharp recoil, six in a row. Much tamer even with H&R Magnum and even more so with .32 Long

smarley

Bearcat
Can anyone comment on the recoil between the LCR 38 and the LCR 327? I hear that the 38 and 9mm are about the same. I was just wondering if the 327 was any lighter.

Thanks!

brentb636

Bearcat
smarley said:
Can anyone comment on the recoil between the LCR 38 and the LCR 327? I hear that the 38 and 9mm are about the same. I was just wondering if the 327 was any lighter.

Thanks!
I had a 38 spc and sold it because I didn't like the recoil from the little gun . When the lcrx came out , 3" barrel and larger grip, I loved it ! Now I have the .327 snubby and love it as well. I think the recoil is less than the .38 snubby, with higher muzzle energy. The factory God Dots are stiff to shoot, but I don't plan on using them much to shoot cans. My 100 gr XTP reloads are clocking 1180 fps on the chrono, which equates to about 305 ft-lbs muzzle energy. That's better than my Kahr PM9 shooting 147 grain HST ( about 280 ft-lbs muzzle energy) . WHEN Ruger introduces an lcrx version of .327 mag, I'll be first in line. It should be a peach. :)

louiethelump

Buckeye
Since you have a chronograph and a 327, it sure would be nice if you would shoot a cylinder full of 32 acp through your LCR and post the velocity.

Gunblast did an update on the LCR 327 and on the video fired some 32 acp over the chronograph but did not post the results.

5of7

Hunter
My impression on the .327 Mg. is that it is a lot of case capacity for a .312 diameter barrel.

I am afraid that it will be another "Firespitzenloudenboomer" on the same order as the .30 Carbine when fired in a short barreled firearm. That is why I have resisted buying one.

Any experienced handloader can produce handloads in the .32 Magnum that feature 100 gr. XTPs going 1200 fps from a 5-1/2" barrel. That is, of course, in a gun such as the Single Six or another of equivalent strength.

And then of course, there is always the question of why a .327 mg? What can one do with it that he can't do with the .32 Mg. 8)

louiethelump

Buckeye
You are right. It is just like the 357/38 spl situation. The 38 will do 99% of what we need a gun to do, and with a 2" barrel the 357 is a lot of noise and flash and not really all that much better than a hand loaded 38 spl out of a 4 3/4" barrel and a strong gun, so why do we need a 357????

We don't!!!

You are spot on! We don't need 327 and we don't need 357 when we have 32 h&r and 38 special.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Shot mine this afternoon. With 32 acp it is a fun plinker (still would like to know velocity). Then shot a few rounds of the hot 100 grain Federal American that made 1600 FPS out of the 5.5" Blackhawk. Gotta admit that a cylinder full was enough in that light gun. I will save those for single sevens and SP101 4". Shot up some 32 h&r 85 jhp and those are the middle of the road found that I will carry in it.

I also shot some 327 85 Gr jhp and they were not pleasant either. The Americans were sticky to extract but I had just shot 32 acp in the chambers and that was probably a factor. The 32 h&r came right out.

I really like it and will be carrying it. I like that it is 6 rounds not five and the 32 h&r factory ammo is enough power for me. The trigger pull is SUPERB and it offers a wide variety of ammo power range. I reload and will shoot lead bullets for fun and practice and carry only factory ammo for defense.

The gun came with a white front sight and the cylinder is black not silver colored like the other LCR's I had were. I give it a firm 9.5 out of 10.

Would like a few more inexpensive grip options (like a hard nylon version of the factory grip that won't catch on clothing) and it would get a 10.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
louiethelump said:
...I really like it and will be carrying it. I like that it is 6 rounds not five and the 32 h&r factory ammo is enough power for me. The trigger pull is SUPERB and it offers a wide variety of ammo power range. I reload and will shoot lead bullets for fun and practice and carry only factory ammo for defense...
I agree with your statements about the ammo and about the gun itself. It feels strong and it will handle whatever you're willing to put up with in terms of felt recoil. I also like it that it will handle pretty much any .32 out there, especially since fifty-round boxes of .327 Federal Magnum seems to be scarce these days.

I have a Type III Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless that may be willing to share ammo... 8)

smarley

Bearcat
I guess that was what I really wanted to know. The 327 mag is another one of those "not fun to shoot, but good to carry" guns. Sort of like the LCR 38 and the S&W 442.
My dream is to find a lightweight snubby that is fun to shoot in the caliber for which it is chambered. It seems like we always have to load down to have any fun with these guns. Just my $.02.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
smarley said:
...My dream is to find a lightweight snubby that is fun to shoot in the caliber for which it is chambered..
It IS chambered for all the loads mentioned with the possible exception of overenthusiastic handloads. Your dream has come true... 8)

louiethelump

Buckeye
I was going to suggest that but I presumed he was speaking of and wanting to shoot maximum loads all the time. Hence, my suggestion of the rim fires.

They are not a bad idea and I had both of those to try out, but I just did not use the rim fires enough to warrant keeping them.

The 327 fills all those needs and 32 S&W is not much more than 22 power, and I can load 32 h&r to exceed 22 magnum for less money than 22 magnum at today's prices.