Excalibur 1 Deer dead

Help Support Ruger Forum:

warren5421

Single-Sixer
I own an excalibur crossbow for SHTF. My son-in-law asked to use it for deer hunting this year. It shoots by Excalibur @ 390 ft/sec. Son-in-law got a spike and the bolt went through the deer and he lost the bolt. No blood trail, deer dropped on the spot. The guys where he picked up more bolts (3 total losted) were surprised as everybody seems to use compound crossbows not recurve crossbows. One guy wanted to buy it offering $100 over what I had in it. Son-in-law has not seen a doe and he was out several times, did see an 8 point buck but could not shot as he had his buck for the year.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Here's what I'm picturing from your description... ;)

B6HnPwKASw7DNWWCDii3DP-970-80.jpg.webp

contender

Ruger Guru
I hunt with a crossbow some. It gives me more time in the woods. And compound crossbows are the normal type nowadays. In fact, what we call a reverse limb compound is gaining a lot of popularity. They aren't cheap,, but they are effective.

Kudos on your SIL getting a deer with it! The Excalibur is a top line crossbow!

mike243

Bearcat
Hunted with a Barnett for several years till I retired it, boom sticks and no climbing stands any more. Aged out on archery and tree climbing, xbows are very accurate and have had pass throughs on every deer I have shot no matter the angle

My long time hunting buddy has and Excalibur recurve Xbow. He shoots a lot of deer with it. After trying 2 or 3 different scopes, he found one with range ticks that match his arrow weight and says it's consistently dead meat well past 40 yards. Downside is: He can't use a treestand anymore so he loses most of the bolts that pass through and sail away rather than stick in the ground as they would if shot from an elevation.