Every Picture Tells a Story *GRAPHIC*

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
image_zpsp6mhjfqd.jpeg

image_zpsxecyrbfl.jpeg

:shock:

Storyline: ALWAYS take time to work safely!

tinman

Buckeye
Ok, now the important question........was it a trigger finger? :shock:

tinman

Buckeye
JohnBoy said:
tinman said:

I am most grateful to say it was not! (But I ran that one [my trigger finger] into a table saw last April! Thankfully, that injury healed amazingly well!)

Have you ever considered stamp collecting? :lol:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
JohnBoy said:
My wife is threatening to trade in all my shop equipment for a set from PLAYSKOOL!

Hi,

Best of luck with the healing there, JohnBoy.

Now it sounds like the lady loves you enough to care about keeping you in one piece, even if it looks a bit chewed on! Might wanta listen to her... ;)

Rick C

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
That's surely gonna leave a mark. During the healing period you will have time to make up a great story as to how it happened (more or less). Hope it heals well. I'd consider a new hobby. You need your hands for a lot of things. Be careful.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
tinman said:
JohnBoy said:
tinman said:

I am most grateful to say it was not! (But I ran that one [my trigger finger] into a table saw last April! Thankfully, that injury healed amazingly well!)

Have you ever considered stamp collecting? :lol:

Maybe feather pillows... Those paper cuts can be deadly. :wink:
Good luck and heal fast, JohnBoy. Be careful out there. It happens real quick.
(35+ years of professional woodworking and I still have all ten digits. :D )

737tdi

Hunter
Unfortunately I have done some fairly similar things to my hands/fingers. It will heal with time. I cut my left pinky off when I was 18/19 and they (navy docs.) reattached it. It works fine but I still can't feel much below the knuckle. Good luck and be a bit more careful, they won't grow back.

Karl

Tallbald

Buckeye
Johnboy I sure am sorry it happened. We can work safely all day long, hoping to avoid injury. But sometimes things just flat happen in the real world, despite our careful moves. I tell my loving wife that the only way for me to absolutely avoid any injury is for me to never do anything. At all. I'd bet that if you have a router, you have made things. Useful and appreciated things. Woodworking is a wonderful vocation and I've been at it for 49 years. Got hurt at times and never saw it coming, but got back in the saddle, and have always been glad I did.
Best wishes for a fast and uncomplicated recovery. Don

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
Thank you for all the well-wishes and prayers! The surgeon was a super person - very 'real'. He said, 'Many doctors like to take credit for successful procedures but the truth is, the body was designed to heal itself and does so amazingly well.'

In regards to switching hobbies: I do collect a few stamps, but I need to steer clear of the feather collecting - I'm allergic! :mrgreen: (Oh, and I used to be a printing press operator - handled a LOT of paper. I can tell you about some paper cuts that would make your eyes water!)

I really want to get 'back in the (woodworking) saddle' - with some modifications to my practices based on what I've learned. I never had any formal training with power tools as I had major allergies to wood dust back in high school. What I have learned about power tools has been pretty much self-taught.

Here's what I've learned so far:

1) Firearms and wood shop tools have much in common: both MUST be respected, both have 'red zones', both can inflict great injury with lightning speed, and neither bullets nor cuts can be recalled once discharged/executed.

2) Related to number one above, there is an overriding rule of safety that MUST ALWAYS BE OBSERVED and it relates to direction/proximity to the 'red zones'. ALWAYS keep a firearm's muzzle pointed in a safe direction! ALWAYS be aware of your body's proximity to the area around cutting surfaces! RESPECT THE RED ZONES!

3) As part of my formal firearms training I was told the following: 'Regarding AD's (accidental discharges) - if you handle firearms long enough, it is not a matter of IF one ever occurs but WHEN one occurs'. I have personally experienced an AD and I darn near had to change my shorts when it did, but I had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and avoided a tragic ending.

My personal interest in woodworking relates to smaller pieces of work and lathe turnings. (I was making business card holders when I got nailed by the router bit). And BOTH my injuries occurred when something unexpected happened (think AD) and I had my hands in the red zone. I need to re-design my procedures so I am not working in the red zone - not IF something unexpected happens, but WHEN.

A person can live in a generally safe manner every day, every month, every year - but it's those things that happen in split-seconds that can truly bite you in the butt!

This is the story told by the picture. If it serves to avoid even one bad split-second experience in another person's life, it was worth the time to share.

STAY SAFE, MY FRIENDS! Jon

Jon, you just caused me to rethink what I was doing. I needed to drill a small hole in the end of a dowel to glue a piece of metal in place. I had the dowel in hand( couldn't find the vise grips), drill bit on the wood (really it won't take but a second, I had vise like grip once). Then a flash of remembering your pictures. I grabbed the channel locks, and safely accomplished the minor task. I might of got away with it this time or not. Anyway thanks for your post.
gramps

toysoldier

Hunter
I have found (more than once) that injury occurs when I am tired. "Just a few more minutes to finish this" is similar to "Hey y'all, watch this" in its effect.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
I sure didn't mean my post as an attempt to discourage you from woodworking in any way. I was fortunate enough to do what I love as a life work. I still spend some of each day in the shop (It's out behind the house, on our property) and encourage any that can, to do the same. The neighbor calls it my "ultimate man cave". I call it my sanctuary. :mrgreen: Get well and be careful.

BTW: My brother in law was a pressman (continuous forms) and for a short time I worked in the paper warehouse and loaded the presses. I know about those paper cuts!