Ever sent your pistol back to Ruger for jamming problems?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
Call Ruger, send it back. In Jan I sent back a 22/45 Lite that was jamming. They had it about two weeks from sent to return. Ruger paid for the shipping. Sorry I didn't do it sooner. Hassle free and the gun works great now.

Mick5150

Bearcat
Called Ruger yesterday, and they are emailing me the information to send it back. I will be boxing it up this weekend. Didn't want to go this route, but looks like I don't have a choice. I will be sure to keep you guys informed once I get it returned and run a couple hundred rounds through it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all your help.

wwb

Hunter
Still not too late to fix the problem. Looking at the photo, it's a 99.9% chance that a sharper extractor hook will solve the problem. The extractor needs a good grip on the case rim as the bolt travels back and forces the case into the ejector.... if it has a wimpy grip on the case, you get exactly the type of jam shown, commonly called a "stovepipe".

Also, the bit about shooting only mini-mags is just to cover up the problem. Since a .22 rimfire is a blowback action, the mini-mags would force everything back harder than a standard velocity or high velocity cartridge, minimizing the need for a good extractor. My standard, Mark I, and both Mark II pistols will function just fine with standard velocity target ammo.

hpman66

Hunter
wwb said:
Still not too late to fix the problem. Looking at the photo, it's a 99.9% chance that a sharper extractor hook will solve the problem. The extractor needs a good grip on the case rim as the bolt travels back and forces the case into the ejector.... if it has a wimpy grip on the case, you get exactly the type of jam shown, commonly called a "stovepipe".

Also, the bit about shooting only mini-mags is just to cover up the problem. Since a .22 rimfire is a blowback action, the mini-mags would force everything back harder than a standard velocity or high velocity cartridge, minimizing the need for a good extractor. My standard, Mark I, and both Mark II pistols will function just fine with standard velocity target ammo.

+1

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

People would bring all kinds of Rugers, usually fairly new, into our shop for mods such as trigger jobs and such. My old gunsmith boss would suggest to them "First, let's get the gun working the way Ruger intended it to, THEN we'll see if you need those mods." Most of the time, a good "fluff and buff" did wonders.

As that applies to the Mk II and others in the Mk series, I used the same advice he gave me when I got my 10/22: remove the extractor, plunger and spring from the bolt. With a very fine stone or sandpaper (I used 600 grit wet/dry with a drop of oil on it) deburr all the edges on the extractor (you don't want to remove metal so much as just break and smooth the edges.) It's just a simple stamped part, with zero polish/deburr work done at the factory. Check the plunger to see if it needs the same treatment. Then check and deburr the slot in the bolt where the extractor lives, clean the bejeebers out of the hole the spring/plunger ride in, give everything a wipe with a touch of oil and reassemble.

I asked him about getting a VQ extractor, and he told me this would work until I saved up the $11 or so for the VQ, which he described as "just a factory extractor that's been finished the way Ruger should do theirs." That 10/22 was purchased in late 1980 or early 1981, and as of last weekend, it was still running just fine on the factory extractor.

Rick C

Mick5150

Bearcat
Hey guys, got my gun back from Ruger and finally got chance to hit the range this weekend.

First of all, they had paperwork packed with my gun when it came back. Said after the repairs, they fired 150 rounds with zero failures. Three types of ammo, at 50 rounds each. Also threw in a silicone cloth for my troubles.
Items Replaced: Bolt Assembly
Items Repaired: Barrel/Receiver Assembly

Hit the range this weekend with my girlfriend, and we shot about 450 rounds with zero FTE or FTF. I used two different types of 40 grain ammo, the CCI Minimag, and some Browning. Works just like it's supposed to now. Had a strange thing when my girlfriend was shooting it....... the bolt would not stay open after the last round in the mag was shot. Happened to her about five or six times. She's fairly new to shooting, so I'm guessing her grip is not perfect, and maybe she's putting pressure on the mag release or bolt stop button. Happened with different magazines each time for her, never to me.

Overall I'm really happy the way Ruger took care of the jamming issues. The slide looks perfect now, totally different than my picture earlier. I hated having to send in it for repair, but I'm glad I did.

Thanks to everyone here on the forums for their help and suggestions.