Ever scratch a bears back ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
I was going thru my Moms house today, and found my baby book. Tucked inside was this picture of me, age 7, on family vacation in the Smokey Mts., Cherokee indian country, North Carolina. I remember us traveling on a winding mountain road, with a bunch of people pulled over, feeding this bear. We all got out, and watched a bit. I came up with the bright idea of scratching the bears back :shock: . Hey, I was only 7 yrs. old, and Danial Boone was my hero at the time. Seemed appropriate at the time :roll: . When I touched that bear, he wasn't real happy. He stood on his hind legs, snarled, and swiped at me :shock: . To this day, I have no idea why I wasn't injured. Good old Mom snapped a good picture, though. This is a picture of the picture.

bear002.jpg

That's me, in the green shirt, with my brother Rick watching. Thought you all might enjoy.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Lucky! Apparently someone had plans for you later in life.

I once saw a little black bear going through garbage cans in a park in the tiny community of Green Mountain Falls, CO. There were kids playing not 50 feet from the bear, totally aware of it, just not bothering it, and it wasn't bothering them. This was just in the '90s.

-- Sam

contender

Ruger Guru
Hey, that's in my neck of the woods.
Good thing you weren't hurt,, and yep,, they can get a bit cranky when disturbed while eating.

toolman

Bearcat
never scratched one on the back but did pet one on the head he was swimming across the lake got along side my buddy bet me I would,nt pet his head (used t0 drink alot back then ) aahh to be 20 again

BisleyGripped

Bearcat
Those bears are eating people up there now! Hike up around there several times a year, now 3 black bear deaths within 3 years here.
If you're gonna scratch a back, make sure you have a smaller, SLOWER brother with you!
Ole Bis

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Reminds me of when we were kids feeding marshmellows to the bears in the dump in Tupper Lake, NY. That was the last of the open dumps until some woman one time decided to get too playful with a couple of cubs and she ended up with a broken leg. She threatened to sue, and that was the end of that. It sometimes makes me sad at all the things the next generation is missing because someone threatned or put forth a lawsuit.