Even new .22 SP a Ruger "dud", to me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Major T

Blackhawk
I am kind of a traditional guy when it comes to my likes/dislikes in my firearms. I have a few contacts left in the industry. They all say that if it is not black or at least tactical that rifles aren't selling (new and/or unusual limited variations excepted.) A lot the same for shotguns. Handguns have to be either cowboy or modern to sell, thus the innovations in polymer frames, more chambers in cylinders, high capacity magazines and the fiber optic sights. We all need to appreciate Ruger (and others) for what they still do for us old timers. Also appreciate them for what they do for the younger generation as that will allow them to stay in business and throw the rest of us an occasional bone! jack

M'BOGO

Buckeye
A lot of folks said they wanted a new DA Ruger rimfire revolver, Ruger listened. I can't say that I'm a fan of the front sight, but I'm willing to give it a try.

I was on the list who told the CEO, I'd really like a FT .44 Spc, a .44 Spc New Vaquero, and a DA .22 rimfire.

Maybe everyone can tell the CEO that a different front sight would be a good idea. They may have one ready for sale on shopruger?

Sugar River

Buckeye
I got rid of my old original SP 22 a long time ago because of the weight and the fixed sights.

Guess what they've fixed with this new version?

Pete

Sal1950

Blackhawk
I think the gun is just about perfect! Adjustable sights with a fiber optic front just like the HIVIZ I just put on my GP100. Plus they're dovetailed so you can replace them with your fav if you don't like em. The grips are beautiful and the same old style that all the guys are searching for to replace the Hogues that come on the newer GP's
As for the "they don't make em like they used to" comments, who says? What about this new gun is telling you that your grandkids won't still be shooting this gun long after we're worm food?
It could be an age thing, but I'm 61 and started shooting with my dad when I was a grasshopper.
You have to be a little more open minded sometimes. I love the look of a 57 Chevy and the muscle cars of the 60's, and a 47 Harley Knucklehead. But if nothing new and different ever came along life would be awful boring.
My only complaint would be the pricing. But revolvers are hard and time consuming to make, and the don't sell in big numbers either. Both add up to inflate the sticker price higher than any of us would like to see it, but hey, at least they're still making em for those that want em. Bet there's a lot of bean counters at Ruger and all the rest that say, " those wheelguns belong in a museum, lets just make profitable autos and be done with it".
Sal

A

Anonymous

Jimbo357mag said:
Here you go bearcatter, S&W Model 18 for $919 MSRP
6-shot, traditional grips, everything you want.

...Jimbo

Nah, S&W 617 stainless, 10 round, 4 or 6 inch. Currently considered the best .22LR revolver by many. S&W has their duds too, but has the sense to keep their classic revolvers. Several places have it for about $670. I could go that route, or Charter or Taurus.

I even had a H&R 905 once that I really liked. Checkered walnut grips. Nine shot, electroless nickel, target sights on a 5 inch bull barrel. I think it set me back a whole $85. Shot nice once I took two loops off of the mainspring!

I think for now my Bearcats keep me happy enough.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Looks like a good solid revolver made for using. Grips that feel good no mater the weather. A site that you can see and see quickly. Something that you would actually use out in the field. Looks like to me it would out last most of us. If I would have been hollering for a double action 22 I'd be lining up to get one.

Before you start reminiscing about how much better it was in the old days keep in mind that most vehicles were considered ready to be trashed when they had 100,000 miles on them, if they could make it that far. The first cell phones were like carrying a large brick. "good" hunting close itched and weighed a ton (and still weren't as warm). We have a tendency to forget the negatives when we look back.

RonS

Single-Sixer
I have two .22 handguns, if I needed a new .22 this would be it. I would change out the front sight and smooth up the action and call it done.

Wouldn't trade Dad's Colt OMS for a crate of them though. :)

CraigC

Hawkeye
The front sight would look and function a lot better with a Bowen post installed. A problem easily remedied. I want one.

Here's a preliminary review.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=614911

101VooDoo

Single-Sixer
Jeeze bearcatter,

Ever since the new .22 SP101 was rumored/announced, you've posted incessantly how much you don't like it and don't intend to get one. We get it.

Some of us are interested in it, and are looking forward to getting one. How about not peeing on everyone else's parade about a gun you don't want?

A

Anonymous

Jimbo357mag said:
bearcatter said:
Nothing else Ruger makes interests me. I was hoping the new .22 SP would have traditional grips, but no such luck. I can't help that the grip irks me so much. And the front sight looks enormous. The original's barrel profile looked much better.

On the newer DA revolvers, I like the better latching, but overall like the old Six series better.

Ruger no longer makes a metal framed center-fire pistol. No thanks, there.

There are other examples that Ruger just ain't the Ruger it used to be. I'm glad I've got what I have, before those models get screwed up further or disappear, too.
The grip on the SP101 in 22LR is the same one it has always had. Did you expect Ruger to re-design the grip to something they had 20-30 years ago? Why would they go backwards? This is an 8-shot 22 SP101, just what many wanted. The HiViz front sight is just what many wanted also. The gun is a modern, Ruger tough, 22LR double-action revolver at a reasonable price. What's not to like? :roll: :roll:

Ruger_22.jpg

...Jimbo

Jimbo,
Could not agree with you more, I love that fact that Ruger came out with this gun, yes do I wish it had a full underlug barrel and rear white outline sight, but you know what I can add the rear sight my self and hopefully like the half underlug barrel. I bought one and can't wait to check it out, and by the way I guess I am one of the few fans of the front hiviz sight. Also, about the comments Ruger is not making many good guns now days, the Ruger SR1911 is one of the best 1911's I have ever shot in my opinion and absolutely love that gun and sold my Kimber and Colt 1911's after I bought and shot the bad boy. Also, the SR556 is no slouch either. Also, I am sure this new Ruger SP101 is going to be the %hit too.
Thanks Ruger for listening to what the customers want, now if they could make a GP100 in a 4 inch barrel with orange front sight and white rear outline adjustable sight in 9mm, I would be the happiest person in the world !!!
Eric

HardBall

Bearcat
JWhitmore44 said:
Looks like a good solid revolver made for using. Grips that feel good no mater the weather. A site that you can see and see quickly. Something that you would actually use out in the field. Looks like to me it would out last most of us. If I would have been hollering for a double action 22 I'd be lining up to get one.

That pretty much sums up my situation!

I found I desperately needed a DA .22LR utility gun after moving onto some acreage a few months ago. When I saw the leaked G&A review of Ruger's SP I thought it was God's house warming gift.

The front sight does look a little high but it probably had to be since the fully adjustable rear sight rides higher. The only cure, aesthetically, would have been to give it a full-length rib atop the barrel which would have added unnecessary weight.

David-R

Bearcat
I have to say other than the price this is pretty much what I am looking for in my next purchase for me. That said it is way cheaper than the S&W I shot as a rental. Been wanting a .22 revolver. The single 10 is interesting but would prefer a DA.

Glad to see the wood/rubber grip back. Like SS. Don't mind fiber optic sight. Like the 8 shooter, 10 might have been better. A 5 or 6 inch barrel would have been nice but 4+" is OK. In short it is not "my Ideal" combination but it is close enough. I bet it will be close enough for a good number of people.

Just have to get employed first and get the wife her first gun before I can buy one for me.

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
Well, personally, I always thought the security six was one of the ugliest pistols ever made. Never could bring myself to buy one. Never liked the Redhawk all that much either. Loved all the single action revolvers, but felt Ruger couldn't quite get past the "Gargoyle" design with their double actions. The Speed six came close but still and all, I was never a Ruger double action fan.

This little pistol actually intrigues me. It can't be an age thing, coz I'm one of those guys whose first Ruger was made in the early 60s when I was about 12!

Dan

HardBall

Bearcat
bearcatter said:
Next big gun innovation will be one that you set on a bench, and push a button. You won't even have to hold it. It will sell like hot cakes to the mamby-pamby new generation.

Like the Ransom Rest?

From Ransom International

The Ransom Master Series Handgun Rest represents the handgun shooter we all wish we could be. It is a precision, passive device that holds, fires, and recoils as nearly like the human hand as possible. It eliminates the human inconsistencies that ordinarily make handgun testing unreliable.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Bearcatter, I think your generalizations are way out of line. Bordering on insulting. It's one thing if you don't like this new offering, you don't have to buy one. However, to make generalizations about those who might like it is completely uncalled for. It's about a revolver, not sheetmetal dashes, crank-up windows and polyglas tires.