Even a Turkey can get a Turkey (once in a while)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VonFatman

Blackhawk
Turkey season opened up on Monday. Karli & I went out back but we picked the wrong ridge and just enjoyed the gobbling on the next ridge over.

This morning, I was all set to meet my son for a hunt but he must of over-slept...so...heck, I was all ready and the car was running.

I drove up near Kingston, MO and had a wonderful time.

At the "butt-crack-of dawn" I somehow managed to slip myself very near a very vocal gobbler. Turns out after I'd eased on in and sat down, the entire area was full of gobblers...at least 7 different gobblers were soon sounding off.

I was thinking...."this is just too good"...it was. They all flew north onto neighboring ground I did not have permission to hunt. All my sweet-talking could not entice.

So, with that rafter of birds on the ground and gobbling their way north, I decided to head for some really beautiful hardwood forest area that is usually full of gobblers.

I climbed up the hill and listened and called a bit...nothing much happening at 7-7:30am. Then, my ol' buddies kicked it in hard. They were still in the same field, but had moved closer. I scampered (more like a semi-controlled slide) back down the hill.

The birds I'd sat under that morning were now with-in 100 yards of "my side of the line"...there were 7-8 Jakes, three adult gobblers and a couple hens. The dominant bird was non-stop gobbling. Fun!

He was strutting and fanned out and basicaly doing what horny gobblers do...calling in more girls.

A creek runs the entire border between the two farms so I eased into the creek and moved to where I could attempt some calling without being seen. The dominant bird and his two buddies came in a ways but never close enough to get serious.

So, I backed up, ran 1/8th mile down the creek and tried again...

The same thing, lots of fun, lots of gobbling, but no joy.

Watching the birds I saw they were now going back north and were quite a bit closer to the creek. I eased back into the creek and marched north 1/4 mile. When I finally peered over the vegetation....be still my beating heart...the birds were coming in and might just be close enough to sweet talk.

Some soft purrs and clucks got the heads up but they continued to march north...away from me.

Well, sometimes sweet talk is good, but when gobblers are "henned up" exasperated cutting, yelping and purring can make a tom come in close (sometimes...maybe 20% of the time).

Today it worked...when I gave it the ol' "I'm hot, where are ya?" the "King Daddy Rabbit" turned on his heals and decided to come over and investigate. At 40 steps, he was making like it was time to return to his rafter of buddies, so that's where my Super Black Eagle dumped him. It's an incredible shooter...3 1/2" #6s and only two pellets hit the breast...it's a head shot with this gun...I've never had one get up after the first shot.

The bird was heavy...seemed that way to me (but they all seem heavy when you are dragging one home).

A respectable bird with 1" spurs, 9 1/2" beard and a real-deal weight of 25 pounds. He actually was heavy!

Here's a post field shot with Kylar, my grandson posing with the fan opened up for the Kodak Moment. He also "helped" me clean the bird too!

A great day to hunt turkey...no wind, 45 degrees at first light & sunshine. It really does not get much better (unless of course your son manages to drag his butt out of bed to join the fun!)

Another very cool thing happened...before hunting & while getting ready to leave the car, 3-4 huge packs of coyotes cut loose and made music like I'd never heard...ever. I spoke with the farmer (he'd been hunting across the road with his dad) and he told me he'd heard the same thing...he also said he'd NEVER heard anything like it! Very cool. At least 100 'yotes singing at one time...many just a stones' throw away.

Bob

standard.jpg

Del J

Single-Sixer
Good job. Nice bird and great picture. I bagged one this morning, it too was a great day.

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Good Job. Had a turkey walk by oustide our window yesterday. Fifteen years here and that is only the second one I've seen on my property. Nice bunch is growing bigger about a mile from here along the river. No hunting them in this area.

Dana

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Congrats on a great bird and picture ! I like the enthusiastic look Kylar has on his face . He's proud of grandpa !

VonFatman

Blackhawk
Thanks folks.

Del J,
Congrats to you! They sure fun to hunt...don't have to whack on eot have a grand morning.

Dana,
I should get back to Wyo to hunt turkey...I have good friend in Torrington who have access to wonderful hunting! I sure love your state...went to school in Laramie and never pass a chance to visit the state.

Jeff,
Thanks. He was cool with the bird and even held the fan open...his mom freaked when I told her you had to stick your finger in their butt to keep the fan open...!! But she did wash the meat and get it in the fridge for me!! She's got no problem with hunting and cleaning game...she's killed three deer and field dresses with interest and is good help.

Bob

VonFatman

Blackhawk
nn,
Thanks. Karli & I are going back out in the morning...just maybe we'll guess correctly as to the location of our resident gobblers.

I'm guiding...my gun is unloaded until next week. In MO you can only take one of your two allowed gobblers during the first week of the hunting season.

Bob

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Way to go Bob

I have my gun un-loaded too. I "Un-loaded" it yesterday morning on a nice gobbler. We had 4 adults and 5 jakes, all strutting and putting on a show. I shot one, and when they ran off, called one back that came in to the dead bird. My hunting partner "un-loaded" on him too.

Came home, cleaned the birds, then drove to Mexico MO to pick up my new FA Model 97 44 special. It was a birthday gift from my amazing wife.

So for me too....a GREAT DAY!

mrofna

Bearcat
im watching 3 big gobblers ... my season dosent open for 2 more weeks ...

nice bird ,